IRiver E100 Reviews Thread (VIDEO LINK ADDED)
May 9, 2008 at 12:53 PM Post #46 of 52
Very similar to the X20, which I disliked for sounding very dull. For example, trying out a few Salsa tracks that I was very familiar with, the vocals and guitars just didn't sound rich and vibrant enough, and the bass wasn't strong enough when I put some hip-hop tracks on. Vocals in both cases were very muddled and unclear.

Compared to the Clix II, H320 or even the Sansa Clip, its disappointing.

May 9, 2008 at 1:23 PM Post #47 of 52
yep.. very close to my impressions from it. i was disappointed to, comparing it to the Sansa Clip. other than the sound quality i kinda like it
frown.gif

May 9, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #48 of 52
I'm beginning to wonder whats happened to iRiver. Their products used to have top-notch sound quality, sturdy construction and beautiful styling + top innovation (e.g. Clix, Clix II).

Now they seem to be just making cheapo players for the average person who doesn't want an iPod...

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #49 of 52
I really don't understand the negative comments about E100 sound quality.

Sansa Clip+ is said to be a great sounding unit right? Then why does my E100 after owning it several weeks and comparing on / off sound better than a Sansa unit?  Can someone explain that to me? E100 is a bad sounding player, yet better than a Clip?

This makes E100 a "poor sounding player". I think there's been some mis-conception and "read it  / type it" word of mouth spread from a 1-2 mediocre reviews. E100 while not a giant killer DAP does sound quite decent, not far behind a Cowon unit say for example J3, S9 or on par with Creative Zen.

If you think I'm crazy please reflect the sources I've tried on my Head-fi profile.

Now, the UI lag however I can agree with, rather cumbersome, mostly when scrolling through a 32GB card.

I just had to leave this post here because this is one thread I read before buying an E100 secondhand, despite the negative comments I went ahead regardless having other thoughts. Sure enough, look what I found in the unit. Keep in mind the unit means nothing to me, I paid $45 AUD for it, so I'm not protecting the holly grail here or purchase justification. 

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #50 of 52
wasnt it a combination of clip fanaticism , and the hate for iriver players ? I never really liked the sansa clip either , and the 15 min I spendt listening to a friends E100 , I found it at least equal or surpassing the sansa clip

Oct 26, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #51 of 52
wasnt it a combination of clip fanaticism , and the hate for iriver players ? I never really liked the sansa clip either , and the 15 min I spendt listening to a friends E100 , I found it at least equal or surpassing the sansa clip

I had similar thoughts, well wondered what year Sansa Clip came out. I'm thinking E100 and Clip both released about the same time roughly.

(this is from Wiki)

Clip was released October 2007

E100 February 2008

If E100 was ever going to become popular it was not long after destroyed by Sansa Clip hypomania, then word of mouth spread from one or two (possibly bias towards Clip) reviews and so it was E100 labled a failure. (my opinion) I simply cannot see it other than the lagging UI. The sound section is clearly like I mentioned previously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back