IRC server switch???
Apr 27, 2002 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ai0tron

Banned
Many users have expressed concern over the quality of service experienced at the head-fi IRC channel. One member, Zanth, has come up with a solution. He proposes that we move the head-fi IRC server to a Debian server on which he has a shell account. He would then create BotNets which would keep the room active all the time. It sounds like a good idea to me, if enough users post positive remarks it will be done.

So vote away.

Apr 27, 2002 at 11:38 PM Post #3 of 16
According to Zanth this is a better solution than Galaxy net, or any of the other typical IRC servers. That is my assumption anyways. I'm not really sure how the whole thing works but I got the impression that the Debian server would be it's own entity.

Apr 28, 2002 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 16
Now that we've got a bot to do aops, do we really need anything else? IMHO switching to a privately run server for IRC WILL cause problems. Not only do we rely on one server instead of the ~15 that make up EFNet, but the solution that is proposed is rather shaky. There's no guarantee of uptime, no guarantee that Zanth's shell provider will even ALLOW him to run an IRC server, and no guarantee that Zanth will always be a nice guy. Don't get me wrong, EFNet isn't perfect, but I think it would be far better to switch to GalaxyNet then to go with a private server that's run by someone who may or may not know what they're doing.

Apr 28, 2002 at 12:28 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
Now that we've got a bot to do aops, do we really need anything else? IMHO switching to a privately run server for IRC WILL cause problems. Not only do we rely on one server instead of the ~15 that make up EFNet, but the solution that is proposed is rather shaky. There's no guarantee of uptime, no guarantee that Zanth's shell provider will even ALLOW him to run an IRC server, and no guarantee that Zanth will always be a nice guy. Don't get me wrong, EFNet isn't perfect, but I think it would be far better to switch to GalaxyNet then to go with a private server that's run by someone who may or may not know what they're doing.

While I agree a private server isn't a great idea, anything is better than F('d)Net
evil_smiley.gif
Half the people who have tried to connect never do. Half the time I *am* able to connect, I get booted soon after. EFNet is probably the worst of the "big" networks.

Apr 28, 2002 at 12:47 AM Post #6 of 16
How about Dalnet? I remember moving another channel there years ago...it's a more stable environment than Efnet...and has it's own bots.

Apr 28, 2002 at 1:19 AM Post #7 of 16
Eh, personally, I'm not a fan of dalnet either. I use it when I need to.

Now, I'm not sure if were allowed, but how about arstechnica? I've emailed the admin to ask.

Apr 28, 2002 at 3:27 AM Post #8 of 16
MacDEF: Try irc.west.gblx.net:6667 or efnet.demon.co.uk for IRC servers. In mIRC, close the options window and type /server irc.west.gblx.net:6667

Apr 28, 2002 at 10:39 PM Post #9 of 16
As Ive mentioned before, I'd very much like for us to move to some other irc network that has other audio related channels on it.

Efnet sucks, but I hate to see us stuck someplace else that doesn't make sense.

Apr 29, 2002 at 2:23 PM Post #10 of 16
i pretty much fully agree with eric's post. i never have problems connecting/staying online with efnet. i think the most likely reason that so many of you get connected is your cable providers. napster kiddies have destroyed all broadband connections on this damned planet. i'm on a t1 at work which is dedicated and (and napster is against corporate policy :p) i never disconnect. this is after i connect to a shell first too. i prefer irc.homelien.no though.

moving the channel will be a huge pain in the ass for me. being connected to two servers at once is bad enough, three will be exceedingly annoying.

besides, nobody is ever there anyway.

Apr 29, 2002 at 4:16 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
i think the most likely reason that so many of you get connected is your cable providers.

If that were the case, why am I able to stay connected to other networks for days at a time. It's not my connection that is the problem. It's EFNet
frown.gif

Quote:

moving the channel will be a huge pain in the ass for me. being connected to two servers at once is bad enough, three will be exceedingly annoying.

What's difficult about connecting to multiple servers? With a good client it's no more difficult than connecting to multiple channels on the same server.

Quote:

besides, nobody is ever there anyway.

Maybe because of connection problems with EFNet?
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 29, 2002 at 9:06 PM Post #13 of 16
Okay, here is the deal. I proposed using debian.org which is a public server...it is THE GEEK server on the net. It is not just one box running...rather...a network, albeit more isolated than the biggies. I offered to take a few of my bots and place them in the channel to control take overs (which never ever ever ever happen on that server) as well as for auto-opting etc. If I were to become a mega prick or something as eric mentioned...then it would not matter, anyone can place a bot there, so eric could have his bot running or whatever... As for running on a dedicated private server, I can arrange that as well. Fast, reliable, but private....only this channel would theoretically exist on it. I am fine with efnet. I spend most of my time on efnet. I offered these suggestions because people were bitching. If the concensus is that efnet is fine....sobeit. If the channel is to move, fine I don't really care where it goes, I don't even really care about auto-opting except on large networks.

Apr 30, 2002 at 4:03 AM Post #14 of 16
Waitwaitwaitwait wait. I thought by Debian, people meant "a server running Debian." I had no idea it was debian.org! Although it's not really "THE GEEK SITE" (/. is a much better contender for the title), if the IRC server runs on the same pipe as the FTP server, I'd expect really good pingtimes except when a new version of Debian came out, then it would be inaccessible
biggrin.gif

Oh, and I hope I didn't offend you with my earlier comments, it's just that I didn't recognize your name, you haven't really posted *too* much to Head-Fi, and I was rather skeptical of someone purporting to be able to run an IRC server from a shell account on a Debian box (that I assumed was just some guy's Linux box), and do so reliably without worries of downtime and whatnot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back