IQ Test - Orthographic Projection
Nov 28, 2008 at 8:25 AM Post #20 of 59
I still don't see how there would be a hole in the top view if there are no hidden lines in the front view. O.o

Also there are no lines for the groove/slot on the top view. Confusion. Okay. Enough complaining.

Nov 28, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #21 of 59
Puzzlething.jpg

The depth of the indentation isn't exactly determinable because the elevation view is missing cut lines, unless they were left out for the purposes of the puzzle and the indentation is actually a through bore mortice in the wood block.

If its supposed to be a through bore, then the horizontal dashed lines on the elevation and end elevations would be disincluded from this picture and the vertical dashed lines would be extended. In that circumstance it would be recommended to include a base view for the purposes of clarity.

-

It's also possible that there is another object inserted into the indentation, again, this leaves the question of why theres no dashed lines on the elevation.

Another possibility is that there is something flat (like a piece of paper) which would show as the rectangle in the plan view. This being the case, it's a daft puzzle.

Nov 28, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #22 of 59
Quick Paint drawing, but I think you get the point:

Side view and 3-D view:

Nov 28, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #24 of 59
Oh didn't see your submission NajoBB (didn't steal the idea
tongue.gif
). Didn't feel like clicking on all the links, why don't you post your image in the
format?

Nov 28, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #25 of 59
From the left or right side wouldnt you just see a rectangle?
From the front and back youd see the same image and from the bottom u'd see a rectangle unless the hole went all the way through right?
Dave

Nov 28, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #26 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzjudz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh didn't see your submission NajoBB (didn't steal the idea
tongue.gif
). Didn't feel like clicking on all the links, why don't you post your image in the
format?

No worries mate
wink.gif

I didn't post the image directly because i wanted to let others try too before seeing the result; assuming that i got it right of course. Anyway i hope we're both wrong (still can't get English well enough but i think Duggeh's last assumption was the same thing too, only he portrayed it better with a couple of letters than me with ******* paint).

Why? Cos it's too simple that's why. I want something more satisfying
cool.gif

Nov 28, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #27 of 59
Well I didn't understand anything of what Duggeh posted. What is his side view? And what are those two red drawings supposed to represent?

And I think we are both right, but probably with a different answer than the OP wanted. Our answers are correct if you look at the OP's top and front view, can't argue that.

Nov 28, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #28 of 59
Yes we are, but IMO logic is the most illogical thing to explain (thats why i like it so much
biggrin.gif
). Almost all the time when i see some riddle or something i always look for the most complex solution and again, almost all the time it's the easy one that you get in a matter of seconds in the first place.

Nov 28, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #29 of 59
If you model this in 3D, there is only one conclusion -- there is something stuck to the front of the rectangular thing that is thin, like a piece of paper. I only realized that after I saw NajoBB's drawing.

Nov 28, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #30 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzjudz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I didn't understand anything of what Duggeh posted. What is his side view? And what are those two red drawings supposed to represent?

And I think we are both right, but probably with a different answer than the OP wanted. Our answers are correct if you look at the OP's top and front view, can't argue that.

The red drawings are his side views IF there is an actual hole (shown by the dotted line)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back