iPurifier3 vs DDC
Jun 8, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #76 of 93
You seem to be just as familiar with Agile/DevOps as you are with Ethernet/802 and USB.

Without a wireframe and detailed technical objectives of current and required behavior, how does the firmware developer know what to code and what Acceptance Testing success criteria needs to look like? Anyone writing firmware (other than very minor narrow changes) for an Ethernet switch will absolutely know the relevant segments of the 802 standards. In a mid size or larger company, there would need to be Change Documentation written and Change Management Process followed - can't write those if you don't understand the requirements and technology in scope.

Hate to break it to you, but as a software architect, not only do I care for how standards are implemented, I need to know enough to confirm the design and it's execution is aligned to the overall goals of the development initiative while still following standards for protocols, APIs, etc. Otherwise, instead of a heterogeneous product, you end up with a bunch of disconnected functionality that can't properly support the required workflow. Can't wait until the end of a 12 month development cycle to find out some crucial bit of code doesn't work...

Bottom line:
If you have a noisy DAC, its broken - get it fixed
If you have a noisy USB, put a $10 powered USB hub in the chain

No need for a multitude of fixes for problems that either don't exist or should be solved at the source.

Waterfall model works for smaller and not so complex projects, no need to preach me here. I haven't seen any 10$ usb hub which can help regards noise issues from PC

Anyways You got this "You know nothing, I know better attitude" for which I've got no interest

Jun 8, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #77 of 93
Waterfall model works for smaller and not so complex projects, no need to preach me here. I haven't seen any 10$ usb hub which can help regards noise issues from PC

Anyways You got this "You know nothing, I know better attitude" for which I've got no interest

I didn't say you know nothing, but given 4 decades of experience in the field including membership on several 802 standards committees, I do appear to have a much better handle on how Ethernet and USB actually work.

Any powered USB hub will provide isolation, so if you do have noise issues riding on the 5v, a powered USB hub will cure it.

No matter how much audiophiles want there to be some "unknown magic properties" only fixable by "magic black boxes", this is hard science

I'm sure there are areas you have expertise in that I do not. Unlike you, I won't try to devalue what you know via pseudoscience.

Jun 9, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #78 of 93
The key thing is that USB works entirely differently from I2S/AES/SPDIF.

I2S/AES/SPDIF are synchronous protocols. Along with the digital data for your music which is sent in a constant stream, the source device also provides a clock signal to the DAC. The DAC will convert the incoming data at the rate it receives it, instructed by the incoming clock signal.
This clock signal therefore you want to be as high quality/low jitter as you possibly can get, as this will result in a better quality conversion.
(There are many DACs with various buffering or PLL systems to reduce jitter, but the TLDR is that with a synchronous source you want the clock signal to be as close to perfect as you can get).

USB however is asynchronous, and differs in two key ways.
Firstly, data is not sent in a continuous stream, it is sent in chunks that are put into a buffer in the USB implementation of the DAC.
The Device then feeds samples (in I2S format) from the buffer and converts them, but does so at its OWN rate, using its own clocks.
The USB source is not providing a clock signal to the DAC.
1653576582002.png

For this reason, DDCs and USB cleanup devices are quite different.

USB devices can reduce noise, and improve overall signal integrity, but do not affect jitter, and there is no evidence that USB 'Reclocking' (which is actually basically just a USB repeater) will provide any performance benefit other than allowing you to use a longer connection. Cause the USB audio data is not in a stream and the DAC is not using any clock signal from the USB source.
The reduction in noise however can help the DAC itself to perform better.

I2S/SPDIF/AES reclocking though, DOES directly affect performance, as your DAC is using the clock signal from the source
https://us.auralic.com/products/altair-g1?variant=42125526073596

"

ActiveUSB​

The second generation of our ActiveUSB provides more than just asynchronous control over USB data for enhanced accuracy and precise re-clocking to reduce jitter. It also bypasses the USB power stream, using its own Purer-Power linear power supply instead. That means dirty USB power — and the EMI noise that comes along with it — is kept as far from the music as possible."

What about this one here?

Jun 9, 2022 at 8:54 AM Post #79 of 93
https://us.auralic.com/products/altair-g1?variant=42125526073596

"

ActiveUSB​

The second generation of our ActiveUSB provides more than just asynchronous control over USB data for enhanced accuracy and precise re-clocking to reduce jitter. It also bypasses the USB power stream, using its own Purer-Power linear power supply instead. That means dirty USB power — and the EMI noise that comes along with it — is kept as far from the music as possible."

The asynchronous control part is just how UAC2.0 audio works, so it's not really a 'feature', and is the same for any modern USB source and compatible DAC.

The second part is basically just saying that the 5V power line is fed by a good quality linear PSU. Which is good and hopefully it'd mean its a low noise source.
The product looks very nicely done and Auralic makes some great stuff. Though they aren't innocent of putting out some marketing waffle now and then :p

Jun 9, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #80 of 93
As GoldenOne said, you’ll get UAC2 with any modern laptop (or other source) and DAC. So if you’ve already got a source, that’s €2,800 for a 5v power supply which should cost about €7, an audiophile bargain! :)

G

Jul 25, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #82 of 93
Stumbled upon this video from ASR, quite informative

Can you ask Amir to do a topping U90 review ? As he can't contradict himself I want to see Amir calling his sponsor company a snake oil too

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #83 of 93
Can you ask Amir to do a topping U90 review ? As he can't contradict himself I want to see Amir calling his sponsor company a snake oil too
So he is not able to admit mistakes he makes?

- Whats with the U90?

Jul 26, 2022 at 4:55 AM Post #84 of 93
To be fair, he sometimes isn’t because on rare occasions he doesn’t recognise the mistake. On the other hand, he only makes occasional mistakes and sometimes he does recognise and admit them.

However, of course none of this has any relevance whatsoever unless there is actually some material mistake in the posted video and there doesn’t appear to be.

G

Jul 26, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #85 of 93

- Whats with the U90?

It's a toppings DDC and he can't write a positive review because of his statements towards such products. He admits some of his mistakes, others are hidden from the public on purpose. One of the examples is trashing ATC speaker, but it wasn't mentioned that this unit was out of production for more than 20 years. This is not objective in my books and you can find other anomalies of measurements against other reviewers, just they do not have such popular platform as ASR.

Not saying that this specific USB purifier isn't a snake oil, but the problem with this approach is that fanboys of ASR preach Amir's reviews as undeniable truth without hearing and testing equipment themselves. This often misleads consumer because knowledgable folks rarely have time to post on forums like we do and you have to drill through a layer of poop to find something objective and valuable. Part of the internet I guess....

Jul 26, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #86 of 93
It's a toppings DDC and he can't write a positive review because of his statements towards such products. He admits some of his mistakes, others are hidden from the public on purpose. One of the examples is trashing ATC speaker, but it wasn't mentioned that this unit was out of production for more than 20 years. This is not objective in my books and you can find other anomalies of measurements against other reviewers, just they do not have such popular platform as ASR.

Not saying that this specific USB purifier isn't a snake oil, but the problem with this approach is that fanboys of ASR preach Amir's reviews as undeniable truth without hearing and testing equipment themselves. This often misleads consumer because knowledgable folks rarely have time to post on forums like we do and you have to drill through a layer of poop to find something objective and valuable. Part of the internet I guess....
What the !!! Did he say about ATC????

Jul 26, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #87 of 93
Jul 26, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #88 of 93
His measurements are wrong. Simple answer.

I have had the SCM19 v1 and the latest version. SCM7 mk1 and mk3(still have). Now SCM40A.

He is nothing close to credible in my book.

There is nothing that sounds like ATC. I am always excited to hear another track for drums and vocals.

EDIT: I suspect one of his farts, in the measurement.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #90 of 93
Now try to convince people in ASR realm that ATC actually makes great speakers. I can't take him so seriously as some do, because there are too many non credible reviews off the stuff that I've actually heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back