ipods/triports. how do people use these things?
Jan 24, 2007 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

lloyd braun

New Head-Fier
Not trying to come off as elitest or anything here, i would just like to hear from some people what the attraction of these products is.

So up until last week I never really had a chance to sit down with an ipod and mess around with it. It belonged to a friend of a friend. I couldn't believe how bad the navigation was. Half the time the wheel never worked, and when it did, I would always miss the file i was trying to hit. It was a fairly new unit, so I don't think there was anything mechanically flawed/damaged with it. I realize theres probably a learning curve with it, and you get used to its touch after some time. But in the 30 minutes i spent on it, I got really turned off and didn't want to spend any more time getting used to the system.

He paired this with a set of bose triports, good lord they sounded terrible. I had known bose in general was overpriced for what it provided, but wow. On Jurassic 5's "whats golden" the bass had this punching paper sound. And it was so one dimensional...Perhaps the file was of low quality, but of course the ipod doesn't provide any info regarding the bitrate.

Have cowon/sennheiser/shure spoiled me?

Jan 24, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #2 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by lloyd braun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have cowon/sennheiser/shure spoiled me?

Yes.

Jan 24, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #3 of 33
Still use iPod. Your friend's iPod was on drugs
rs1smile.gif
; I don't have problems with mine, and will continue to buy Steve Jobs' dinner as long as he continues the Apple roll...this doesn't include the IMO overpriced, slightly underwhelming iPhone.

OTOH, Bose deserves every criticism thrown at it. Their aggressive marketing, cheap construction, pricing, and somewhat sloppy sound has done a real pummeling to the perception of high end audio. Actually, the sound wouldn't be that bad, if not for the other three factors.

Jan 24, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewgriff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still use iPod. Your friend's iPod was on drugs
rs1smile.gif
; I don't have problems with mine, and will continue to buy Steve Jobs' dinner as long as he continues the Apple roll...this doesn't include the IMO overpriced, slightly underwhelming iPhone.

I think we all should go out and try something other than an iPod. And as for Bose, I haven't heard their headphones, so I can't really comment on that department.

Jan 24, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #6 of 33
For all the crap Bose gets around here, iPod deserves the same thing. Expensive marketing for an average product. Cool and innovative, so is Ikea but that doesn't make it a great product.

Jan 24, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaughter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For all the crap Bose gets around here, iPod deserves the same thing. Expensive marketing for an average product. Cool and innovative, so is Ikea but that doesn't make it a great product.

Well, maybe not the same thing, as it is a decent product, but yeah. It's way too "hyped." I just don't like the fact that it's the dominant player in the market, even though there are tons of better players out there that I'm too afraid to name because it might start a flame war. Oh, the other thing that bugs me about iPods is the idiot fanboys.

Jan 24, 2007 at 10:00 AM Post #9 of 33
Thanks for the replies folks. I had been wondering which side of the equation was more negative on my overall experience. I'm leaning towards the bose, because as much as the ipod bothered me, it is something i could learn to get used to if i absolutely had to. I don't think my ears would get used to the sound that the triports produced though. Technically, I suppose they could, but I still wouldn't like it! That, and I spent more time listening than I did browsing, so sound really should come ahead of usability.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont mind ipods. It was itunes that I didn't care for.

On a different forum i was browsing today, someone asked "how to move songs from an ipod to the computer". One of the solutions was a $15 program! I couldn't believe it, I dont think I could own a product that is so restrictive. My goodness, the purchase of the ipod is only the beginning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I had the means and brains to successfully market my product aggressively, I'd choose not to do so...

Me too, I think there is something to be said of companies who try to create a niche group and are happy where they are.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slaughter /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Exactly, I just couldn't understand how they could be the market leader by a huge margin with a product i really couldn't stand using. But diff'rent strokes make the world go 'round...

Jan 24, 2007 at 11:55 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

T I'm leaning towards the bose, because as much as the ipod bothered me, it is something i could learn to get used to if i absolutely had to.

And you would do it fast. If you are used to other device is normal that you find the ipod "difficult", but in fact it has excellent usability. I had my reservations at first too, but in one day I started to enjoy it without problems.

Quote:

On a different forum i was browsing today, someone asked "how to move songs from an ipod to the computer". One of the solutions was a $15 program! I couldn't believe it, I dont think I could own a product that is so restrictive.

There is free software too. Floola is a cross platform example.

Jan 24, 2007 at 1:39 PM Post #11 of 33
I'd switch from ipod if there's a better choice (better SQ AND interface)
Was leaning towards zune but it's thicker and well, not available yet here

I almost bought the triport (well, used at a great price).. It sounds alright but VERY comfortable, i couldn't believe it.. It looks acceptable to wear outside as well
If it was priced around $50 i'd probably get one to just kick around the house to watch movies, browse the net or something

Jan 24, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Not trying to come off as elitest or anything here

Really? Because that's exactly how you're coming off. Look, I'm pretty sure the mantra around here was, whatever sounds good to you. You don't like Bose headphones, and guess what, neither do I, but you're coming off as trying to sound better then someone who doesn't have the ear for a difference between Bose headphones and a pair of Sennheisers. It's condescending and it's unfair.

Secondly, why rip on the iPod man? Again, you don't have to like it but it's created an entire digital music revolution. I'm sure you can rip songs easily to your computer in FLAC, but my grandmother can't, and for her jogging in the morning, a Nano is just the thing. I think to criticize something like the iPod is to try and push us back into the music stone-age, where you could get your music from one medium, from brick and mortar stores. Now iTunes is the #4 largest music distributor in the U.S.

Jan 24, 2007 at 2:15 PM Post #13 of 33
To chime in some...

When I got my Shure E2C around the same time I had my bose, I couldn't tell that much of a differnece between their sound except bass. When I first listened to the Bose, they were fantastic sounding to me. In fact, I never heard anything better. That's the problem. If people don't hear anything better than the bose, why wouldn't they think bose is the best? In my case, the isolation was just wonderful and the sound was the best I ever heard...until I got my DT880s. Now, I don't like bose that much.

It's all in the perspective you have in your music background.

Jan 24, 2007 at 2:17 PM Post #14 of 33
My PX-200s PWN bose triports for about 30$....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 24, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by apbarboza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think to criticize something like the iPod is to try and push us back into the music stone-age,

So in your eyes, the iPod is completely above criticism? That's a bit extreme, don't you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back