iPods better than CD Players yet?
Oct 22, 2008 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Overheat

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I want the best quality sound, and by that I mean detailed and warm with lots of presence. I've always been a big fan of Duncan's reviews of PCDPs and I know he compared the 5G ipod to the CD Players with less than impressive results, so is that still the case or have MP3 players caught up with Discmans?

Oct 22, 2008 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 18
my answer is no.

Oct 23, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #3 of 18
PCDP's still have the better SQ. 1 or 2 players may come SLIGHTLY closer nowadays, but there's still a ways to go. I'd still be carrying a PCDP if it weren't for the bulk factor.

Oct 23, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #5 of 18
Your people are just mad. Modern PCDPs are just awful, even 5-6 yeas old PCDPs are awful. Ipods and other top hdd players are way better. Only old, 90' players were really better.
All research today are going to modern hdd\flash dap. PCDPs are junk leftovers. Ipods, for example, have better dac.
Also, what kind of quality you'd expect from are PCDP when most of modern models feed from two AA batteries? Even ipod have 3,7 volts power source and it's not bothering with power-consuming disc spinning motor...
And think about what kind of pick-up mechanism are in PCDP? How good is disc-reading in bumping, rattling conditions on the go? Vibration is dead-end when it comes to CD-reading quality. So, PCDP are just big NO.

Oct 23, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only old, 90' players were really better.

I actually think this is the decade the original post was referring to. So you just answered the question. Yes, the sound quality of the old PCDP's from the 90's are better than the current iPod's.

Oct 23, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #7 of 18
Really good PCDP are still the portable sound benchmark. Good ones like some of the better Sony's and the iRiver's still have an edge. I think ipods and other ones are very close, and with lossless and uncompressed files may even rival some. The 1 big advantage is ssd drives, no moving parts, and at least in theory less error problems.

Tim

Oct 26, 2008 at 4:10 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by timb5881 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really good PCDP are still the portable sound benchmark.

Tim

When you say really good PCDP, do you mean the ones from the 90's or new PCDP? If it is a new PCDP which one do you recommend?

I only listen to classical music. I use Sony D-ne320 PCDP and Sennisheiser hd 280 pro. My Audio Technica ATH-A700 will arrive next week.

Thanks

Al

Oct 26, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajstark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you say really good PCDP, do you mean the ones from the 90's or new PCDP? If it is a new PCDP which one do you recommend?

I only listen to classical music. I use Sony D-ne320 PCDP and Sennisheiser hd 280 pro. My Audio Technica ATH-A700 will arrive next week.

Thanks

Al

Ones from the late 80's. How much do you want to spend? If money is no object, get one of these.

ALO Audio

They can be found from time to time on eBay, but usually in horrendous condition.

Oct 26, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by UWisconsin77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ones from the late 80's. How much do you want to spend? If money is no object, get one of these.

I do not want to spend a lot on used PCDP. I think I will get a good quality DAP.

Thank You

Al

Oct 27, 2008 at 7:58 AM Post #12 of 18
Actually, the Sonys at ALO's site are new (new old stock to be precise), not used.
If SQ is your only concern then one of those would be your best bet. However, you cannot beat a DAP when it comes to convenience, and if you get one of the better ones (Sansa Fuze/Clip, Cowon D2...) and fill it with Lossless, you should be quite happy with your setup, SQ wise. Just don't use the 'phones that come with the players.
tongue.gif

Oct 28, 2008 at 1:07 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Overheat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I want the best quality sound, and by that I mean detailed and warm with lots of presence. I've always been a big fan of Duncan's reviews of PCDPs and I know he compared the 5G ipod to the CD Players with less than impressive results, so is that still the case or have MP3 players caught up with Discmans?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PCDP's still have the better SQ. 1 or 2 players may come SLIGHTLY closer nowadays, but there's still a ways to go. I'd still be carrying a PCDP if it weren't for the bulk factor.

My english is not good.

First ,you can choose Ipod Hard disc mp3 player,not memory MP3 player.

For EG: IPC is better than NANO 4 in sound quality with more details in

sound replaying ,and has much more bass.

Second ,you should choose a amp portable with IPOD players ,use the

line out function .

3rd, you should try to put as much as possible wavs into your IPOD,

which is better than MP3 .

may be you only want to listen MP3, from 128- 384 KBPS.

I suggest you to buy B&O 's product , they are the best MP3 players IN the

world , but only support mp3 ,not WAV or flac or ape...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back