iPod with SDXC mod (Tarkan or OWC)
Aug 25, 2015 at 9:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

dh0licious

100+ Head-Fier
Just wondering if anyone's done the SDXC hard drive mod to their ipod to convert the hard drive from a SATA to a SD card?

Looking at these two:

http://www.tarkan.info/store/iflash-bundle

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TARIPODFLSH/

Would be great to get your feedback on the experience and if you experienced any negatives?

I plan on purchasing an ipod 5.5 shortly and expand the capacity shortly after.

Thanks

Aug 25, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #2 of 18
Just wondering if anyone's done the SDXC hard drive mod to their ipod to convert the hard drive from a SATA to a SD card?

Looking at these two:

http://www.tarkan.info/store/iflash-bundle

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TARIPODFLSH/

Would be great to get your feedback on the experience and if you experienced any negatives?

I plan on purchasing an ipod 5.5 shortly and expand the capacity shortly after.

Thanks

I'm in the recess of doing this very mod to my old iPod 5.5 with Tarkan's SDXC card adapter replacing the original iPod hard drive with a 128GB SDXC card. As described in so many threads here and YouTube videos available on-line, opening the iPod is, by far, the hardest part! Once that was accomplished, it became much easier. I finished after a couple of hours, however, only to find that I'd damaged the thin, flat headphone jack connecting cable leaving one channel dead and the Hold switch non-functional. So, I had to order a replacement for that assembly from iFixit to complete the job. Otherwise, everything seemed to work properly. The replacement jack and cable just arrived, but I haven't installed it yet. I did also replace the battery while the iPod was open in the process of which I'm afraid the damage was done as the headphone cable was partially stuck to the old battery by its adhesive.

I would strongly recommend purchasing the iPod tools sold by iFixit for this job. It's delicate and precise work, but manageable if you have the right tools!

Good luck with it!

Aug 26, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 18
I used Tarkans adapter to build a 256gb iPod Mini and it worked great.

Aug 26, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #5 of 18

That's great, didn't even realise you could do this wth the mini.

Is it the same sdxc adapter used for the 5th gen ipod or a different adapter for the mini?

Did you have to format the sdxc card to exFat format as well?

Aug 26, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #6 of 18

Also what is the donor ipod here (generation and capacity)?

Aug 27, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #7 of 18
It is the same adapter as for the 5.5g, I emailed Tarkin and asked if it would work. He seems like a good guy and sent a printout of SD card compatibilities. The PNY was half the price of a Sandisk and was very highly recommended. The Mini is a 2nd generation, it was a 4gb originally.

Aug 27, 2015 at 6:14 AM Post #8 of 18
Oh, I did not format the card at all. I used it as it came. I did try to upload my music with iTunes, about 180gb worth, and it was going to take an enormous amount of time to sync. Something like 10 days. So I was speaking my nephew about Rockbox and he Rockbox'd it for me. It only took around 6-8 hour to upload with Rockbox. For me, the Rockbox is not running very smooth though. A bit buggy. It may be me!

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #9 of 18
It is the same adapter as for the 5.5g, I emailed Tarkin and asked if it would work. He seems like a good guy and sent a printout of SD card compatibilities. The PNY was half the price of a Sandisk and was very highly recommended. The Mini is a 2nd generation, it was a 4gb originally.

Thanks alot for the info. So I take it you used the tarkan sdxc adapter, not the CF adapter?

Aug 27, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #11 of 18
Thanks alot for the info. So I take it you used the tarkan sdxc adapter, not the CF adapter?

Yes, it is the SD adapter. I believe the SD storage may be the biggest bang for the buck. 256gb was less than $100.00 with shipping. So, the whole iPod Mini outfit came to a sum of well under $200.00 even with a new battery for good measure.

Aug 27, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #12 of 18
I hadn't realised you could mod other iPods, just assumed it was only classics due to size of case needed to accommodate adaptors.

I only have experience with the Mini and this is my first one. I was pretty nervous and probably overly cautious, but it went very smooth. I get a kick out of the Mini. With the 256gb mod its a lot of horsepower in a small package.

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #13 of 18
I only have experience with the Mini and this is my first one. I was pretty nervous and probably overly cautious, but it went very smooth. I get a kick out of the Mini. With the 256gb mod its a lot of horsepower in a small package.

Good work mate.

The Mini has the Wolfson DAC right?

Do you use a portable amp/DAC with the mini?

Aug 27, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #14 of 18
Good work mate.

The Mini has the Wolfson DAC right?

Do you use a portable amp/DAC with the mini?

Thank you sir for the kind words.
Yes indeed the Mini has a Wolfson DAC. I have been listening with an amp, but am trying to find IEM's that pair well with it. I just got a set of HAVI B3 Pro 1s and hope to try them this weekend.

Aug 30, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #15 of 18
Yes, it is the SD adapter. I believe the SD storage may be the biggest bang for the buck. 256gb was less than $100.00 with shipping. So, the whole iPod Mini outfit came to a sum of well under $200.00 even with a new battery for good measure.

Just confirming this is the one you bought? http://www.tarkan.info/store/SDCF-Adapter
Looks different to the one in your photo.

What capacity battery did you replace? 500mah?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back