Ipod vs S: FLO 2
Jan 22, 2011 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

junebug654

Head-Fier
I'm curious as to which one to buy for the best possible SQ.  I don't plan on rockboxing or Imoding the ipod because if I get any Ipod it will be the current 7th gen which cannot be rockboxed or modded.  I also heard good things about the S FLO 2.

In terms to best SQ which do you recommend?  I could care less about video, just sound.  Also whichever one I get I am planning on using the Fiio e11 when it comes out amp to juice my headphones with.  So on top of the top SQ, which of these DAPs will get more bang for their buck in terms of adding an amp?

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 7
Ipod:
Medium Sq
Needs amp
breaks easily
Stolen easily

S Flow2:
Rebrand
Doesn't need amp, can be used
Strong, yet dents
bad and unstable ui

If you want overall sq, ipod would be the OPPOSITE of what you might need.

First think of the headphones you have or going to have. It's best, BEST to have great headphones rather then a good PMP. The PMP can play music, yet if the headphones can't keep up, the PMP is useless. Invest in some great headphones, then a PMP. 95% of headphones do not need amp, look up if your headphones need a amp.

Think of what you're going ot use the PMP for. Example: I use my clip+ for when I'm on my bicycle. I use my Cowon s9 any other times. I like my s9 because it can push my headphones, has great audio with tons of customizations and all kinds of utilities.

My anwser, s flo2, without a amp.
but i highly recommend the s9/j3 for sq, because of the eq settings

Jan 22, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 7
Overall performance = Ipod
Sound only = Teclast T51 (amp or unamp) 

T51 has a very good sound quality but other than sound, nearly all things are bad (bad screen quality, bad color reproduction, bad build material, bad quality control, bad design, bad UI , bad battery life, etc )

Jan 23, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #5 of 7
It has a good screen (without a compare to a amoled screen) mostly it's a music player, independent line out and all that

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #6 of 7
Oh, it's pretty bad.

And SQ related questions should really be aimed at finding WHAT is actually better. The S:Flo still cuts off the high frequencies, so if you subscribe to the philosophy that butterworth and other filters are good things to apply to your music, you will like the S:Flo.

Good:
low noise floor
excellent stereo separation
low distortion
Can drive lowΩ earphones with NO loss of resolution
very good line out

Bad:
buzzing sound
no gapless
poor ID3 tag support
horrid navigation
pointless size (touch screen is pointless on this)

modern iPods (touch 4G, shuffle):
Good:
lowest noise floor among ALL DAPs
great stereo separation (second only to S:Flo)
low distortion
extremely low resolution loss or NO loss at all with lowΩ earphones
gapless
good touch input
Great EQ apps (can make your iPod touch sound 98% like the S:Flo 2 if that is the sound you like)
very good line out

bad:
It's Apple (should be enough for some clever people)
No support for community codecs: Vorbis, FLAC
It's apple.

Honestly, blind listening with the EQu or Equalizer applied to emulate the same S:Flo 2 high frequency drop off with matched volumes, I would be surprised if ANYONE at all could tell a difference UNLESS you are listening for levels of hiss. In that regard, the Apple would win hands down. 

Quote:
I didn't know the S:flo 2 had bad screen quality/color reproduction?

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 7
This is what i have found on my somewhat limited journey into portables. Chose the Dap/Pmp that suits you best weight/screen size/ui/size. Sq difference is not that big. however sq is greatly improved  of the iem`s that are connected. So best bang/buck  would be a good cheap player or mobilephone, connect it to the best iem`s you can afford and be done with it, my favorite combo is Nokia 5800 and Westone um3x. And i`m greatly satisfied with this combo. The convinience and sq is both covered this way imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back