iPod Touch?
Dec 12, 2009 at 4:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

RokabillySwagger

100+ Head-Fier
My Cowon D2 is beginning to show its age and I would rather buy a new player than just throw a 32GB SD card at the problem. After a long time away from Apple I think the 64GB Touch is my best option. Primarily I will be listening through my Denons, Koss CLips, and my soon delivered Triple-Fi Pros. The apps and games seem like a nice bonus. Tell me if I am wrong in thinking the Touch is as good as it gets for an all around awesome device?

Dec 12, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #2 of 16
Suprisingly the differences in sound between the two are not too pronounced. The D2 hisses more and has bass roll off, and less channel separation, but otherwise, the two are very similar sounding devices. Both dryish, low in distortion, fast, and can be construed as 'digital'.

Of course, the iPod touch won't have an EQ or rockbox capability which is a shame but will do a better job with overall frequency response than the D2. It is a good sounding device, but depending on your music, may not fit as well as you want.

It is phenomenal for electronic, trance, classical; it is good but not top for vocal, jazz and a few other atmospheric genres.

I have the 16 gb 2nd gen which is excellent, but has the above caveats.

Dec 12, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Suprisingly the differences in sound between the two are not too pronounced. The D2 hisses more and has bass roll off, and less channel separation, but otherwise, the two are very similar sounding devices. Both dryish, low in distortion, fast, and can be construed as 'digital'.

Of course, the iPod touch won't have an EQ or rockbox capability which is a shame but will do a better job with overall frequency response than the D2. It is a good sounding device, but depending on your music, may not fit as well as you want.

It is phenomenal for electronic, trance, classical; it is good but not top for vocal, jazz and a few other atmospheric genres.

I have the 16 gb 2nd gen which is excellent, but has the above caveats.

My wife has a third gen 32 gig touch and an Iphone 3gs, and they have the very sound you descibe, good, way better than many say, but it is kind of dry.

Dec 12, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #4 of 16
I have an 8gig 2nd generation and I love it. There are a ton of cool different games and apps. I also love feeling like I have a mini laptop with me all of the time especially whenever I'm in wifi which is most of the time. Also I think it sounds really good for a portable player, all these things combined make it my favorite music device by far.

Dec 12, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #5 of 16
The iTouch is a wonderful device and can do so many stuffs. It also sounds really great. Actually it's the only iPod that made me change my mind about Apple SQ. The only thing I hate is its crappy battery lifetime.

Jan 7, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #8 of 16
Got my touch 32 gig today... Yes I am amazed what sound you can get out of those small devices. Happy to see that it seems very serious and quite neutral on my ED 8s. Unamped straight out of the IPOD versus amped and all on my home system!

I suppose these small portable sources are hardly affected by breakin?

Almost afraid to get some portable amp for them if I failed so miserably with my home setup that this may compete
tongue.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #9 of 16
I'd recommend it. If wifi is off, it will last quite a bit longer. However, all the fun of it lies in the ability to hop around hotspots. If you remember to charge it once a day, you should be fine.

Jan 8, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #10 of 16
Which ipod touches uses the cirrus logic chips? I have always liked them. Creative uses them on most if not all their soundcards. My Elite Pro made me sell my Essence ST for example even though the one in here is cheaper of course... But as mentioned they seem to be neutral don´t add unnecessary warmth to the music.

I also tried the ear buds or what it´s that I got with them. No bass but you can at least listen to them not more lol. Pretty annoying having those in your ear even when they don´t fall off every 2 minutes or so. Good to know I am incompatible with IEM which just have to be worse I suppose
smily_headphones1.gif
... Though is there another way to get the mic for voice activation?

Also another newbie question... what is LOD? Is it just connecting to an external amp through the headphone out. Why is it called LOD?

Jan 9, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #11 of 16
An Lod is a way of hooking the iPod up via it's docking input/output and thus giving it a digital output instead of the analogue headphone out.

Get some Yuin Pk3s for earbuds.

Jan 9, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #12 of 16
Any recommendations of a good LOD cable? Is there any fake onces around or just get the first cheap you find? Amazing stuff.

Looked up those PK3s certainly the right price range. However I am not sure my ears are compatible with ear buds... The stock ear buds that came with the ipod stick to my right ear but not the left. Bass leave a lot to desire but that is the price you pay with these in general I suspect
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #13 of 16
The performance differences between different LODs isn't huge, but build quality is. Some aren't meant to last the week, while others are simply made to last. Qusp at headfi makes very nice ones and I also like the aesthetically pleasing ALO cables. But you can do well with a simple 3,5 cable from headphone output to amp input as well.

Jan 9, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #14 of 16
The PK3 come with several foam covers. They should stay in your ear just fine. If not, they are not expensive and make a great gift. I would just try those first. The SQ improvement, especially the bass, should be enough to keep you happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back