ipod touch with OLED screen???
Jun 2, 2010 at 1:29 PM Post #17 of 38
lol you talk about professional imaging work but who would need that on a hand held portable media player. I'm sure a professional graphics designer needs images to look accurate on his ipod touch while he's listenin to music. The vibrant colors and deep blacks just make media player images pop. Doesn;t need to be the exact accurate shade of green or red its not a professional working on an ad campaign or something.

And if you use an lcd over a plasma for your tv i feel sorry for you. Have fun with your grey blacks and blurry video on fast action.

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #18 of 38
I went from a Zune HD (OLED) to an Iphone 3G, and I don't even bother to watch video on the latter. I had music videos on my Zune and the colors appeared fairly accurate (though all I have to compare is a cheap samsung CRT). If only the 4G iphone had OLED, I'd consider it as my next smartphone. 

Nov 10, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #19 of 38
Quote:
I went from a Zune HD (OLED) to an Iphone 3G, and I don't even bother to watch video on the latter. I had music videos on my Zune and the colors appeared fairly accurate (though all I have to compare is a cheap samsung CRT). If only the 4G iphone had OLED, I'd consider it as my next smartphone. 

the latest iphone, with it's 'retina' display has the sharpest display of any smart phone that i've seen.

Nov 11, 2010 at 8:43 AM Post #20 of 38
That has nothing to do with the screen and everything to do with the battery, however. OLED's theoritically DO consume less power than LCD or LED-backlit screens, but in practice no one knows for sure as they are usually mated to hardware that isn't particularly battery efficient.

And, I've not seen an OLED that works in daylight, yet. I do like the idea of OLED on a portable device where accuracy isn't the foremost concern. If companies could harness the efficiency of the OLED (if it does actually use less power in practice) and somehow bring visibility for daylight usage, I'd be all over it. I also wish that deep blacks came to LCD's which are much more colour accurate than current OLED's apart from blacks. 

Currently, however, I'd prefer to be able to see what I'm doing in almost any light.

Quote:
from reviews ive seen the cowons are supposed to get the best battery life in the industry

Nov 11, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #21 of 38

Quote:
That has nothing to do with the screen and everything to do with the battery, however. OLED's theoritically DO consume less power than LCD or LED-backlit screens, but in practice no one knows for sure as they are usually mated to hardware that isn't particularly battery efficient.

And, I've not seen an OLED that works in daylight, yet. I do like the idea of OLED on a portable device where accuracy isn't the foremost concern. If companies could harness the efficiency of the OLED (if it does actually use less power in practice) and somehow bring visibility for daylight usage, I'd be all over it. I also wish that deep blacks came to LCD's which are much more colour accurate than current OLED's apart from blacks. 

Currently, however, I'd prefer to be able to see what I'm doing in almost any light.

Well Nexus One is the only thing I heard that has both the LCD and the OLED versions... there may be something else since the OLED panel deficit is going on right now and companies might switch their panels.

OLED in daylight is absolutely awful in Cowon S9(but it's quite old and currently it's a lot better in current devices), and also the pentile(I think it's called) currently used in OLED is inferior to RGB used in LCD. Well in the future OLED will switch to RGB but right now, it just comes down to preference. 

Also I agree that OLED overemphasizes color, but it will get better, and I think it will eventually replace LCD. Right now, I prefer the LCD.

Nov 11, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #22 of 38
Well, I get the WOW factor of OLED's, but only barely. I did stupidly mention that professionals can't use OLED screens because of accuracy. Of course, what self-respecting professional does work on a small screen like that? I thought of it and actually, there are a lot of professionals who do work on the iPod touch, a reason, I am sure, that Apple decided to use LCD rather than OLED. Yooss is right, eventually, they will replace LCD, but OLED has been in production for an effing long time; it's time that it matured. Maybe, however, it never will. Better, more feasible technologies may come out before OLED loses its diapers. Oh well. 

Anyway, I made a shoddy interview with one artist who uses the iPod touch as his digital easel, Jorge Colombo.

Nov 11, 2010 at 11:44 AM Post #23 of 38
LCD has been in production for a much longer time, but still it gets better and better. I think within seven years OLED will almost replace LCD at least in portable devices. It is basically more efficient by design, and what we need is some time for it to completely mature. The first task I think is getting rid of pentile and adopting RGB in mass production version. It sure has a long way ahead of it.

Nov 11, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #24 of 38
Quote:
I thought of it and actually, there are a lot of professionals who do work on the iPod touch, a reason, I am sure, that Apple decided to use LCD rather than OLED.

so the retina display is based on lcd technology? it certainly has impressive clarity and resolution!

Nov 11, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #26 of 38
Resolution isn't about LCD vs OLED vs Plasma - or anything really. It's just resolution. Viewing angle, saturation, black levels are the obvious benefits in new/old/adapted technology. LCD's blacks are deep grey in colour while OLED's are pretty damn black. Win 1 for OLED. OLED also purportedly uses less energy, but that isn't shown in practice because there aren't really two exact devices using the variant screens. No comparison is possible. OLED colours come from the pentile matrix developed by Samsung. Again, Samsung is as consumer a company as can be. From cars to portable players, their focus is on fun, loud - certainly not accuracy though they make some decent monitors and apartments. 

I bought an iPod touch 4G from Young Spade and really enjoy its screen resolution. Colour is okay, black levels are tosh, and overall, viewing angle is poor. Apart from black levels, that is just a problem because of using a cheap LCD rather than IPS screen. Again, resolution isn't something to chalk up to OLED or LCD, just manufacturing processes and a manufacturer's profit line.

Nov 11, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #27 of 38
But i heard it is currently almost impossible to achieve the retina dpi+rgb with oled. Resolution doesn't matter but dpi does.

Nov 11, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #29 of 38
Saturation control could take care of OLEDs 'enhancement' of colours... Just need a device that offers this, like a computer with an OLED display, complete with colour temperature settings, ect. LCD on the other hand, can't really help its black levels and slowness without lowering the brightness till it's black, or some incredible local dimming add on, consuming more power and money in the process. I think OLEDs vibrancy is less far from 'true to life' than LCDs washed out blacks and slowness are, especially while watching movies. I would also consider an iPod with this type of screen, seeing as they are working on Android for the iPhone, it's only a matter of time till it becomes usable with an open OS that can actually browse the internet with any kind of finesse.

Nov 11, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #30 of 38
I had the Samsung Captivate with it's super AMOLED screen. I now have the iPhone 4. The OLED looks brighter, more vibrant and also manages to save the battery. It's got serious potential, but the contrast ratio wore on the eyes and made long term viewing difficult.

The iPhone 4 and Captivate are both amazing to look at in different ways, but for practical purposes like reading and looking at pictures, the iPhone was better with its unbelievable resolution and color accuracy. Movie watching and games looked better on the OLED. Also, the iPhone was much better in direct sunlight. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back