Ipod Touch vs SE 910i = praise your cell!
Nov 16, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #46 of 53
Not looking for anything. This is an old thread supposed to point out that my phone sounds better than my iPod Touch, that's all. I read about the bad SQ of the 2g 3g Touch on this very forum. Fact that some says they are better than the 1g. That very well may be, I don't know. I bought the clip to my girl, because it was red (What? What's wrong with buying the clip as a second, third, fourth player anyway? It doesn't get close to the S639)

The 910i is a great phone (even the review says so). It has problems only with some providers crappy software. I don't know about any issues like that, I have a phone from SE straight without any BS software or provider lock. Best handset award in 2008. Can't be that bad
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #47 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Mono /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not looking for anything. This is an old thread supposed to point out that my phone sounds better than my iPod Touch, that's all. I read about the bad SQ of the 2g 3g Touch on this very forum. Fact that some says they are better than the 1g. That very well may be, I don't know. I bought the clip to my girl, because it was red (What? What's wrong with buying the clip as a second, third, fourth player anyway? It doesn't get close to the S639)

I dunno what forum your reading. The vast majority here say only the 1G sounds bad. (unless its a faulty 2 or 3g).

You asked why would you buy another iTouch. Well for the same reason you bought another MP3 player when you already have a few.

Quote:

The 910i is a great phone (even the review says so). It has problems only with some providers crappy software. I don't know about any issues like that, I have a phone from SE straight without any BS software or provider lock. Best handset award in 2008. Can't be that bad
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually that review doesn't say anything about providers software but Sony Ericsson abysmal build quality.

Nov 17, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #48 of 53
Right, why don't you read a different review? This phone IS about top notch build quality, metal housing yet 85 gramms. You should read the comments to the other submitted review as well.

I bought an other MP3 player after the iPod Touch for one reason. I was not satisfied with its sound. The iPod Touch 1g 2g 3g are basically the same device, look the same, do the same, run the same software on very similar hardware. I don't see the point to spend another $300 for the same device I already own, really.

Sony Ericsson W910i review - Reviews - SEfanatics

And the award... may be because it had 3G a year earlier than the iPhone... and had a volume button what the iPod had not for another year. It was also an open platform (java) when the iPhone, Touch was a closed one and basically useless without the app store (sure the app store changed the game). Not to meantion, it had a better SQ than any apple device. http://www.mobiletechnews.com/info/2...13/131918.html

Nov 17, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #49 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually that review doesn't say anything about providers software but Sony Ericsson abysmal build quality.

Actually it did not! It tells about a horrible software which freezes and reboots the phone, the build quality is quite amazing, no wonder as it is a 900 series phone which is top of the line at SE.

Nov 17, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #50 of 53
Quote:

Right, why don't you read a different review? This phone IS about top notch build quality, metal housing yet 85 gramms. You should read the comments to the other submitted review as well.

Your review the guy only has the phone 20hrs, how is that useful to judge on faults and build quality? The other review has a whole load of reviews of people who've actually used the phone, for a while, rather than someone who just took it out of the box.

It even has its own wiki...

Quote:

Stability Issues
The Sony Ericsson W910i is known to crash and switch itself off, intermittently. As of December 2008, firmware has yet to be released to fully resolve these issues, though some users have reported that later firmware versions have reduced the frequency of these issues occurring.[2]

The phone itself has received much criticism for it's instability, which include complaints about screen and system freezing, restarting and button input failures. Many reviews and user forums consistently note this as a major problem for the Sony Ericsson phone.

Sony Ericsson W910i - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Finding it hard to find a decent review that shares your opinion on the SQ
Mobile-review.com Review of GSM-UMTS-handset Sony Ericsson W910i

I'm only telling you where I got my opinion thats its a poor phone. By some reports the W595 is a W910i with all the faults fixed. But if your happy with it, thats all that matters. I was looking for something to replace my W810i, as the camera doesn't work anymore. I'd tried a few phones but still can't find one I like. Thats why I was interested in your review of the W910i.

Quote:

I bought an other MP3 player after the iPod Touch for one reason. I was not satisfied with its sound. The iPod Touch 1g 2g 3g are basically the same device, look the same, do the same, run the same software on very similar hardware. I don't see the point to spend another $300 for the same device I already own, really.

From an audio point of view they are not the same. They've even changed the DAC. Which for anyone interested in SQ can be a huge deal. But you completely dismiss this. Even if you don't like it, its strange not to acknowledge that its changed, or that its significant.

I think the 2G Touch sounds good. But I don't use mine a music player. I prefer the buttons, on my Sony A818.

Nov 17, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #51 of 53
Yes, I don't use the Touch as a music player either, and as a mini computer it is stunning... now that it has doom as well. I am very picky with my gadgets and anything at a little fault goes back to the store right away... and the list is long! I don't care much about the 910i reviews as I own the phone, so I know better, however I admit I don't know how they work for other people. Mine is flawless, it has updated software and there is no GSM provider junk on it. I used it in at least 10 different countries and 3 different bands (900,1800,1900). True that some reviews say the SQ is bad. I have no idea what they are talking about. Sure, it is not as good as a dedicated sony player, I would not suggest to buy it just for music (although better than the iPod), however as a phone it is a nice little gadget.

Mar 17, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #53 of 53
wow. i have the w910i for more than 2 years. i am really happy to find someone on head-fi who likes it. i was actually considering selling my w910i and buying a w995 in the future. but ppl are criticising the sound quality of w995 and after reading this thread, i might keep my w910i.

its true that this phone has some software issues. but they r fixed to some extent with the latest software version it was R1fa035 or something.

i also think that the sound quality is good.
but the best sound quality is at volume 6/8
at volume 4/8 the sound quality is not that good.
Sony Ericsson W910 review: Walkman in style - GSMArena.com

look at the graphs above.
i use a denon c551 which i bought recently with my w910i.
but the problem is that its too loud. so i can't use it at volume 6/8
i have to use it at 4/8 volume or 5/8 for some songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back