Ipod Touch vs Ipod Classic vs Ipod Video: SQ of course!
Jan 7, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #31 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by SEABREEZE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since we are on the subject of SQ with a ipod, if you use lossless which supposes to give you the best SQ. Does your batteries smoke. (short shelf life.) when you load your music. Also what about from just normal play back

I read that on another thread, and was just wondering if that is correct

Quote:

Originally Posted by knights /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its expected that batt will drain faster with loosless than lossy formats... lossless files needs more processing power to decode...

I'm not sure how it affects battery life overall, but I know definitively that lossless uses LESS processing power, seeing as how it isn't decompressed and can be played directly. MP3s are compressed and must be hardware decoded before playing. Thus, lossless playback would use less processing power. MP3 and AAC hardware decoding has developed very far, so the processing difference between WAV and MP3 is not as great as the difference between WAV and WMA or OGG (still an immature formats).

Processing power, however, is not the only factor in this equation. Lossless files take up more space and thus will require the portable to transfer more data. On a HDD player, this will indefinitely use more battery life. But on a flash player, I have no idea how this will affect battery life. (1) Do flash memory modules differ in transfer rate? (2) If so, do different transfer rates draw power at different rates? (3) If transfer rates are uniform, then does full cache use draw more power? (4) How much power do the memory module and processor cache draw compared to the other components?

We could speculate all day, but real-world testing would save a lot of time. This poster found that DRM'd WMA draws ~43% more power than an MP3 on a Sansa clip, despite the MP3 being encoded at a much high bitrate. Anyone willing to do similar testing with their iPods?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back