Ipod Touch vs Ipod Classic vs Ipod Video: SQ of course!
Oct 9, 2008 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Caribou679

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi!

I listened to the Ipod Touch 2 gen. and I liked the SQ of the headphone jack better than the sound of my Ipod Video 30gb.

Now I plan on getting either a Touch or an Ipod Classic 120gb and was wondering if there is a difference in SQ between them( on headphone jack).

What do you think,as regard SQ?

regards,

Oct 9, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi!

I listened to the Ipod Touch 2 gen. and I liked the SQ of the headphone jack better than the sound of my Ipod Video 30gb.

Now I plan on getting either a Touch or an Ipod Classic 120gb and was wondering if there is a difference in SQ between them( on headphone jack).

What do you think,as regard SQ?

regards,

Here is my preference from best to worst..tried and owned them all.

HP out:

iPod Video
Touch 2G
Touch 1G
Classic

Oct 10, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #3 of 32
I've got a few @ home myself:
1. Touch 2g
2. iPod Video 5.5G
3. Mini 2G
4. Classic
And my prefs are in this order for the SQ.

Oct 10, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #4 of 32
It is too bad the Classic is the last in SQ. With its 120gb it would be a nice size upgrade from the Ipod Video.

I had imagined that being a new item it would have the same characteristics as the Touch 2g, as they were announced at the same time,or about.

regards,

Oct 10, 2008 at 3:17 PM Post #5 of 32
I'm a little confused here; since from the past posts that I read, vinnie had confirmed ipod classic has better sound quality than stock ipod 5g/5.5g; both through hp out & line out.

Oct 10, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kui4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a little confused here; since from the past posts that I read, vinnie had confirmed ipod classic has better sound quality than stock ipod 5g/5.5g; both through hp out & line out.

indeed... but it's a matter of preference what sound signature you like
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2008 at 10:15 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Milk and Coffee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
indeed... but it's a matter of preference what sound signature you like
wink.gif

agree

Oct 28, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is my preference from best to worst..tried and owned them all.

HP out:

iPod Video
Touch 2G
Touch 1G
Classic

Can anyone create such list but this time taking into consideration SQ from line-out?

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #10 of 32
I just sold my 80GB classic and bought 3 5.5Gs before they run out. The 5.5G sounds much better than the classic from the headphone out. The Touch 1G sounds at least as bad as the classic, although I only use mine for videos.

Oct 29, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just sold my 80GB classic and bought 3 5.5Gs before they run out. The 5.5G sounds much better than the classic from the headphone out. The Touch 1G sounds at least as bad as the classic, although I only use mine for videos.

Way to go man. I wish I had the capitol to get a 5.5G myself. I liked the SQ of it, better than my new Zune 120. Marvelous DAP, congrats!!!!
L3000.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone create such list but this time taking into consideration SQ from line-out?

Sure, although speaking specifically to iPods, there is not as big of a difference between line out's between the models as VS the HP out. Personally I liked the LO's in this order best to worst.

Classic
Video
Touch 1G

(Touch 2G have not tried yet, probably never will..the sound from the HP out is why I have her employed as super portable.)

Also, the iMod has the best of Line Out signal VS any of the above iPods but since that is not a stock configuration, was not included. Hope this helps.

Nov 1, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, the iMod has the best of Line Out signal VS any of the above iPods but since that is not a stock configuration, was not included. Hope this helps.

I am newbie to daps. Does the Line out plus an amp always give you better sound that the heaphones out.

thanks

Al

Nov 1, 2008 at 10:22 AM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by ajstark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am newbie to daps. Does the Line out plus an amp always give you better sound that the heaphones out.

thanks

Al

Yes, as the LOD>Amp bypasses the DAC in the ipod headphone out completely.

Nov 1, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, as the LOD>Amp bypasses the DAC in the ipod headphone out completely.

I have Audio Technica ATH-A700 headphones. Will the ipod 120G + app give me the best sound quailty from a dap.

If I use a dap + app would I be able to hear any sq differences with these headphones?

I listen to classical music on my commuter train.

Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back