iPod touch selling like hotcakes
Oct 13, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #92 of 115
i have just been playing with my touch for the last few days and it is incredible. i will not hack it until i am sure it is dummy proof. i used to hack everything when i was about 17-21 and it was fun until... well, for the moment, i am very happy with it.

the interface is indeed wonderful and i can see so much potential with it in the future. i have shyed away from pda in the past, but this thing which basically is one minus the lost functionality is just perfect. the sound is great, the storage is huge and the screen is very good. i have the d2 and as for interface... it has one advantage - it is easier to change user sound effects quickly but having to reset the thing every few weeks or once per week because of bad programming for drag and drop and firmware failures was annoying.

video was disaster. nice tiny screen but terrible artifacting, pausing etc. naturally, it is another market than the touch, but both have touch interfaces... sort of. the d2 is basically a point and click interface, not touch. the touch properly flicks and moves with your finger... wonderful and just slightly more hissy than the d2. wonderful

Oct 13, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #93 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have just been playing with my touch for the last few days and it is incredible. i will not hack it until i am sure it is dummy proof.

I wouldn't say everything's dumby-proof, but it's actually pretty easy to get apps on.
cool.gif

itouch_small.jpg

I bought the touch knowing I'd have to deal with a downgrade in storage to have what amounts to a computer in my hand. It's the first flash player I've had to use full-time, so I'll give it a few more days before I start saying I love it or hate it.

But hey, with Notes and calendar editing enabled, it's the perfect PDA.
280smile.gif

Oct 13, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #95 of 115
The jailbreak doesn't work on windows right? I'm too scared to do it anyways but it sure looks cool. I love the touch, but I'm still torn between it and the classic (it is a better deal and a lot more space), I just don't want to loose the open and detailed sound of the touch. I can live with a little hiss
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2007 at 2:41 PM Post #96 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The jailbreak doesn't work on windows right? I'm too scared to do it anyways but it sure looks cool. I love the touch, but I'm still torn between it and the classic (it is a better deal and a lot more space), I just don't want to loose the open and detailed sound of the touch. I can live with a little hiss
biggrin.gif

There are Windows solutions now. I had a few snags along the way. PuTTy gave me an error saying my iPod's IP adress was wrong, but I could still continue the whole process, and after I jailbreaked it, I only had 300MB of total space showing up, which way fixed by doing this (scroll down).

There seems to be an automatic jailbreak method too which may work better.

The Monkey, I don't think Apple has plans to include Mail.app. Personally, I use Gmail, so I find the mobile interface to work better than using Mail and POP forwarding anyway.

Oct 13, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #97 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by hotsoda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Monkey, I don't think Apple has plans to include Mail.app. Personally, I use Gmail, so I find the mobile interface to work better than using Mail and POP forwarding anyway.

hotsoda, I'm afraid you're probably right. Apple likely is concerned about cannibalization of iPhone (and maybe even MacBook) sales. Although I think that concern is unwarranted.

Oct 13, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #98 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by hotsoda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are Windows solutions now. I had a few snags along the way. PuTTy gave me an error saying my iPod's IP adress was wrong, but I could still continue the whole process, and after I jailbreaked it, I only had 300MB of total space showing up, which way fixed by doing this (scroll down).

There seems to be an automatic jailbreak method too which may work better.

Thanks so much hotsoda! I tried the auto jailbreak and it worked like a charm, now I can have many fun new apps on my killer dap! I wish I could buy you a beer, or soda (lol) for sharing the info, I would have never have tried it the normal way
eek.gif

You should post the link in another thread and stickey it, I bet a lot of touch uses would appriciate it.
eggosmile.gif

Oh, here is a video I found on how to use the auto jailbreak:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuVUmmNG_HA

Oct 13, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #99 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by MiG™ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wait till the thing is hacked. It'll turn into one of the best devices on the planet.

So true...I thought about getting an iPod just to mod it into an iMod...and I detest iPods

Oct 13, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #100 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hotsoda, I'm afraid you're probably right. Apple likely is concerned about cannibalization of iPhone (and maybe even MacBook) sales. Although I think that concern is unwarranted.

i think the one of the main concerns is the network connection. with the iphone, you are always connected to a network (either edge or wifi) so your email is always current and you can send and recieve all the time (at least thats the idea, edge network coverage isn't universal). with the touch, you are only connected some of the time. email would not always be current and you couldn't always reply (unless the device would store your message until it reached a hotspot - but that may create confusion as well). this is just a thought, and could be way off from the actual reasoning.

Oct 13, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #101 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatepopupads /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks so much hotsoda! I tried the auto jailbreak and it worked like a charm, now I can have many fun new apps on my killer dap! I wish I could buy you a beer, or soda (lol) for sharing the info, I would have never have tried it the normal way
eek.gif

You should post the link in another thread and stickey it, I bet a lot of touch uses would appriciate it.
eggosmile.gif

Oh, here is a video I found on how to use the auto jailbreak:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuVUmmNG_HA

Don't thank me. If anything, send a few bucks to the iPod touch dev team or the iPhone dev team.

Oct 14, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #102 of 115
It has very good 3rd party potential (which may be hindered by apple, futture will tell) for emulators and network software(including vnc) I wouldnt mind having a good sounding pocket computer that can access my mail and carries my portfolio to show to clients(despite screen shortcomings, it is still something, like a good pen). This is not to say it could done with older palm style computers, but it combines two gadgets into a fashionable packet and does it well. I personally hate itunes and proprietary music integration, but I still find it attractive to be able to access to net through an intuitive interface which keeps track of my mail, calendar and plays my music decently to boot. I think it is the best mainstream product to come for a long time(3rd part apps inclusive). Keep in mind that I don't have one and am not a fan boy because of closed source/development and propriety formats.

Oct 14, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #103 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think the one of the main concerns is the network connection. with the iphone, you are always connected to a network (either edge or wifi) so your email is always current and you can send and recieve all the time (at least thats the idea, edge network coverage isn't universal). with the touch, you are only connected some of the time. email would not always be current and you couldn't always reply (unless the device would store your message until it reached a hotspot - but that may create confusion as well). this is just a thought, and could be way off from the actual reasoning.

Good point-- the lack of everywhere wi-fi makes me consider the iPhone. But then I think-- like every other phone I have had- I will not want it after 6 months. There is something about phones versus PDAs or PMPs that makes them dated real fast... *remember the hype around the Razr*

If only the iTouch were $199 or even $250 then I would buy immediately, mod it and play with it as a toy. Perhaps the Apple Product Development realized this and set the price beyond the toy status *sounds silly I know*
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #104 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Larson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aside from photo pinch-n-zoom, how does the Touch or iPhone use multi-touch?

Two-finger squeezing and spreading is the only application of multi-touch in the iPhone. But it works amazingly well with the web browser, Google maps and email attachments also. The map zooming is particularly well done. Far from being a necessity, it's still a nice addition.

BTW - I saw a guy on the bus listening an iPod touch, while flipping through what looked like a thousand photos from a recent vacation.

Oct 21, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #105 of 115
I've been tempted to get an iPod touch so I popped into the apple store and spent a good 20-25 minutes trying it out.

SQ wise, it sounds ok. Difficult to say with all the ambient noise and preloaded tracks.

The main dealbreaker was sensitivity and accuracy - it seemed very very off. Maybe it's a calibration thing but touches would either not register or I'd get the wrong key on the keyboard (I don't have fat fingers).

Controlling the volume is an absolute pain. I'm guessing you can't operate the device without taking it out of a pocket?

I was hoping to come away with a new ipod but I left thinking that it seems more like a novelty / gimmick gadget...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back