iPod touch selling like hotcakes
Oct 8, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #76 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by F1Turbo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try Costco. I got a 16GB Touch for my wife there. They discount them $10, too.

X2 Costco in NJ had a few hundred units on hand.

Oct 8, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #77 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The first Touch/iPhone 1.1.1 jailbreak just happened:
http://www.tuaw.com/2007/10/08/annou...1-1-jailbreak/
Didn't take very long.

icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

That is all.

Oct 8, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #78 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dublo7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I know
frown.gif

Hopefully the Touch is unlocked sometime soon.

Not a hope in hell that Apple will ever do this. 3rd party for sure, but at the cost of your warranty..

Oct 8, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #79 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not a hope in hell that Apple will ever do this. 3rd party for sure, but at the cost of your warranty..

I'm willing to bet they will. Many said it's not if, but when. Contrary what is Apples hardware closed system, they do adopt software standards. See AAC versus WMA, their font agnostic approach or FreeBSD/Mach core for a few examples. Course 'unlocked' may not mean forgoing iTunes or installing your own OS.

Oct 8, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #80 of 115
Quote:

The first Touch/iPhone 1.1.1 jailbreak just happened:
http://www.tuaw.com/2007/10/08/annou...1-1-jailbreak/
Didn't take very long.

It says nothing about the touch, only that the iTouch Dev people helped with it.

The iPod touch is still locked down, but this may help if we can figure out how to break the encryption.

Oct 8, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #81 of 115
Quote:

Originally Posted by hotsoda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It says nothing about the touch, only that the iTouch Dev people helped with it.

The iPod touch is still locked down, but this may help if we can figure out how to break the encryption.

They just haven't tried it with the iPod Touch yet... there is no confirmation whether it works or not with the iPod Touch. My guess is that it does, but we'll know for sure tomorrow. The only difference between the two platforms was OS 1.1.1, which the iPod Touch got a couple weeks before the iPhone.

Oct 9, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #84 of 115
Quote:

They just haven't tried it with the iPod Touch yet... there is no confirmation whether it works or not with the iPod Touch. My guess is that it does, but we'll know for sure tomorrow. The only difference between the two platforms was OS 1.1.1, which the iPod Touch got a couple weeks before the iPhone.

Quote:

The jailbreak is now also confirmed to work on the iPod Touch:
http://www.tuaw.com/2007/10/08/break...cess-achieved/

This does not mean the iPod touch has been jailbroken just yet (calm down everyone!). It's jailbroken when we can install and run apps on the darn thing.

That's not to say it won't happen, but give it a few more days at least.

Oct 9, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #85 of 115
apple products have always sold as objects of style, not of substance, but if they manage to root the touch, i might consider one as a DAP/PDA,
shame it dosnt have bluetooth, thats the biggest blunder ever on apples side, or they just want to make more money selling the wireless headphone adapter for it

Oct 9, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #86 of 115
I actually got to try a touch at the Apple Store (a place I never want to go back to) the other day. Honestly I was pretty impressed, the interface was better than I thought it would be, but it had the grab and move, as I call it, interface, which I don't like. However a lot of devices use this format so it's just me who doesn't like it, they just need an invert scroll option on the touch and it would be great. That said I couldn't find the back button half the time, but still, it was a nice player. My only problems were too little storage, too much cost, and the fact that I would have to use iTunes. But seriously, it was not a bad player.

The same can't be said for my experience with the classic, both the ones I tried (one in the B&W Zeppelin and one just on display) had a sluggish and poorly responsive scroll wheel, and the Nano just had too small of a wheel for me. I think I could get used to that though, but I don't really need a flash player right now.

Oct 9, 2007 at 10:42 AM Post #87 of 115
After a couple of days I have to say the audio quality is better than my old 5g. Line out isn't bad either. One thing, certain videos still crash on me.

Oct 9, 2007 at 12:37 PM Post #88 of 115
I just recently received the 16gb Touch as a gift and I must say it is leaps and bounds better than my Archos 604 30gb in terms of sound quality. For video I'd put them on par except I had to reconvert almost all my movies to something the ipod understands. This wasn't that big of a deal as most of my hd quality videos wouldn't work on the Archos either.

It's a little strange that they put the headphone jack on the bottom of the touch, but since I'll use this mostly sideways (I'll use it mostly for video on flights) I have no problems with it.

Anyone found a case that has a kickstand yet? I like the hard cases that belkin is making, but it seriously needs a kickstand!

Oct 11, 2007 at 10:32 AM Post #89 of 115
Just letting you all know, now it's been jailbreaked. Expect an easy solution (at least on Macs for the time being) to install third party apps fairly soon.

The exploit is a security vulnerability, but there's a chance Apple will update it to patch the exploit, but leave the apps (Installer.app) alone. Wishful thinking though.

Oct 11, 2007 at 12:08 PM Post #90 of 115
I don't know how to put this but...

I've had PDA:s, touch screen pmp:s/audioplayers and there was one thing hitting me over and over lik a sledge hammer in the back of my head. (Note: I own both of the examples below and have used them extensively. This is all, of course, my personal opinion)

Take exhibit A: A Windows Mobile PDA (all the way up to ver 6).
Oodles and oodles of functionality, great hardware (I've got an old Dell Axim x50v) but a IMHO pretty ****** intreface. What's wrong? They seem to have developed the interface thinking that a stylus or your fingers are exactly the same thing as using a mouse on your home computer - well, whaddaya know, it's not. So it's more or less a home OS GUI shoehorned into a small format, including tiny buttons all over the place. And the interface doesn't feel very snappy at all, and a snappy interface IMO is *much* more important with a mobile device compared to a stationary.

So, Opera Mobile being better than Safari...? Er, no (again, it's all a matter of opnion). I'd venture saying that an app that is built for visual interaction, such as the web browsers of today, is only as good as its GUI and its ability to interact with the user. Every mobile browser (on a PDA) I've tried just isn't that hot to begin with in that regard. So what if there's every spec in the book, Flash and what not, if it's not easily accessible from the very beginning then there's something wrong with the design.

Exhibit B is probably a bad one but here goes: the Cowon D2 (since I've read opinions about the GUI that goes both ways).
Again, the over all functionality is great to me but again I see evidence of "your finger/stulys is the same thing as using a mouse on your home desktop so we'll just copy that behaviour and replace the mouse with a touch screen!" (No! It's not the same! Aaaah....! *runs away screaming and raving madly*) There is some evidence that they have tried a *bit*, such as the overlay when you touch the screen in play mode, but then it all degenerates into "yeah, ok that button/volume field is too small for my finger so I need the stulys here... Preferably a mouse, though...". And don't get me started on music selection (I mean, apart from putting out sound, that is the *one* thing it needs to do well and fails) ...

Now enter Apple. You can say what you want about Apple: rabid followers, maybe not always the best value in regards to some hardware specs but when it comes to realising interface designs to the end user market they are usually far ahead of other companies. The iPhone/iPod touch may or may not have some flaws, but face it: the interface is designed from the bottom and up for touching, *finger* touch. Be it listening to music or using Safari. I couldn't care less if the iPod touch was run on some old 286 hardware, as long as the interface and the usability of what is on there is great. I don't care if my PDA can do a zillion more things because it's just too much of a hassle to do it in the first place (yeah, I've used it as a FTP-server as well, not so sure why).

Yes, there is a lot of *research* going on from other companies but research isn't in my hand today as a realized device such as the iTouch and concepts rarely turn out like the saliva inducing objects they once were when first shown to the public.

I'm sorry for this obvous rant but I just can't get over it. There's so much possibilities with a lot of technology out there today but it seems far too many companies overlook one the most important aspects, if not *the*most important aspect (apart from the base ability - i.e. an audio player that doesn't play audio or doesn't do it sufficiently is no good as an audio player in the first place) and that is how you interact with the device and how it repsonds to commands, whether they are text based or by "clicking/touching" a graphic.

I understand that Apple is not the be all end all interface designers, far from it. The important difference is that they have devices out there today that is pretty close what the much needed fluidness of the GUI of a mobile device needs to avoid being a nuissance every time I use it. It might eventually lead to me being so frustrated that I stop using the device all together.

Sorry for the rant. Really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back