Ipod Touch plus Grado Sr 325i good?
Mar 3, 2008 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Ricky112

Head-Fier
im planning to get a Ipod Touch and use it with my Grado Sr 325i, will I get good sound quality with the Touch? Ive used the older version of the Ipod Nano and i thought it was great and the midrange, the seperation of the instruments was pretty sweet and clear and i wonder if iwill get the same with the Ipod Touch, the new generation Nano or the Ipod Video.

Mar 3, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #2 of 25
This is the nice thing with Grado, they actually have good synergy with iPods. Don't tell anyone but at times I find myself enjoying my 325i straight from my 5.5 G iPod...I can only imagine that the new version are similar enough.

Mar 3, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the nice thing with Grado, they actually have good synergy with iPods. Don't tell anyone but at times I find myself enjoying my 325i straight from my 5.5 G iPod...I can only imagine that the new version are similar enough.

I really hope the new generation Ipods can give me that great sound quality like it the Nano, the seperation of sound is above average. I tried the Sr 325i on the Onkyo Amp and it was unbelievable the seperation of the sound and the clarity was

Mar 3, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #4 of 25
Which other headphones do you have extended listening experience with? I ask this because Grados are not known for big soundstage although I wouldn't consider separation as being the same thing.

I do think the 325i has amazing in your face midrange detail bordering on whoa, that's kinda bright...this is with a decent solid state(SS) amp. A tube amp can help to smooth them out, sort of like what the iPod headphone output does...only in a less detailed way.

Mar 3, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 25
even greater, although the amp is not mine its my uncles he has the amp hooked up to the Jamo D400 speakers, left right speakers plus center channel for 500 dollars and sub for 1400 but no room for the rear back speakers.

Mar 3, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just stumbled across you saying this and gave it a shot...you're not kidding. My SR80's sound GREAT out of my Nano HP jack. I was shocked at how good it sounds actually. I may stop carrying around an amp, lol.

Mar 3, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just stumbled across you saying this and gave it a shot...you're not kidding. My SR80's sound GREAT out of my Nano HP jack. I was shocked at how good it sounds actually. I may stop carrying around an amp, lol.

I use my RS-2 and SR-60 all the time right out of a 3G 8gb video nano. Sounds better than my 5.5G 80gb ipod video (except Vinnie will be shipping mine back as an iMod this week).
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 3, 2008 at 9:35 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need an amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah? He can run the Grado off the Touch till he decides to get an amp later, they work better off an iPod than my HD600 ever could (those are a joke without an amp). Hella lot better than the iBuds
eek.gif

Mar 3, 2008 at 10:09 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah? He can run the Grado off the Touch till he decides to get an amp later, they work better off an iPod than my HD600 ever could (those are a joke without an amp). Hella lot better than the iBuds
eek.gif

Of course they'll sound better than an un-amped HD600, but they won't sound like the SR325 should
smily_headphones1.gif
Grados require some serious current and the iPod just doesn't have it, I personally can't recommend anything over SR80 un-amped, diminishing returns kicks in fast. SR225 + Mini3 sounds MUCH better than un-amped SR325 at a little higher than the price of SR325.

Mar 4, 2008 at 4:28 AM Post #12 of 25
Ive tried the Sr 325is on my uncles Onkyo Amp and the sound was awesome! very clear and precise when im hearing instruments and vocals it doesnt feel like the sound is coming from the speakers it comes from the middle. Its like life

Mar 4, 2008 at 11:40 AM Post #14 of 25
I have a question:

Because these Grado's are all same impedance, why does the 325i need an amp more than the 80? Is this because the 325i is more revealing and not necessarily more power hungry.

Mar 4, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #15 of 25
perhaps the sr60 and 80 don't have that much to give anyway and if you amp them, meh takes over. with the 325, the low imp of the phones is overshadowed by the need for an amp as base no longer really comes through.

i have never heard the 325i nor the 60 or 80, i am just suggesting this. i don't even really care for grado, now i sound like a troll... sorry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back