iPod Touch 4G~White Edition...how good is the built-in DAC?
Feb 1, 2012 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Destroysall

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been wanting an iPod and I really can't decide between the iPod Touch 4G or the old iPod Classic 5G?  I am aware that the Classic 5G sounds really good and has the best SQ out of all the iPods.  However, I do like Apps, so the Touch would be a plus for me.  How is the DAC on the iPod Touch 4G though?

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #2 of 14
I think sound quality is very subjective.  I still have my Classic 5G 30GB and in the past 6 months bought an iPod Touch 4G 8GB.  The touch 4g didn't have enough volume for me and the sound is a little thin.  The classic 5g has more bass presence, better treble extension, and a fuller mid-range.  The touch 4g has a similar sound signature to the iphone 4( a friend let me borrow it for a weekend), and to some extent the classic 7g.  This is probably due to the fact they are running similar cirrus logic dacs.  I primarily used UE Reference monitors without an amp  for listening to both these audio players.  Also there is no difference between the touch 4g white or black versions. 

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #3 of 14

Quote:
I have been wanting an iPod and I really can't decide between the iPod Touch 4G or the old iPod Classic 5G?  I am aware that the Classic 5G sounds really good and has the best SQ out of all the iPods.  However, I do like Apps, so the Touch would be a plus for me.  How is the DAC on the iPod Touch 4G though?

It sounds excellent, I think....and there are a number of equalizer apps you can use to customize the sound to your liking. I've never regretted buying my 32GB Touch 4G...and at the time that was three times the amount I had ever spent on a DAP.

Feb 1, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #4 of 14
how much are you willing to pay and does it really have to be an apple product?

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
how much are you willing to pay and does it really have to be an apple product?

I'd prefer it to be.  I use iTunes as my source with AIFF and ALAC files, so it would be nice.

I would be using my HD 280 as portables, so would it be driven the iPod Touch 4G?  I tried them with the iPod 5th Gen Classic and it drove them beautifully.  I also wanted to know how good is the DAC in the iPod Touch if I decide to get a portable amplifier along with it?

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #6 of 14
Can anyone comment at least on how the iPod Touch would serve as a DAC?  I was planning on pairing the Touch (if I got one) along with either an Electric Avenue PA2V2 or FiiO E11 portable amp and really wouldn't want to lose any quality in sound.  Any help would be appreciated.

Feb 12, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #7 of 14
iPod touch 4g  is fine.

I have 30gb ipod video 5g (wolfson dac)  and the iPod touch 4G (we also have an iphone 3G and iphone 4s at home- and a  cowon C2 and we used to have the square iPod nano).

iPod touch 4G is fine, you can also choose between many apps to shape your sound scape - I recommend getting 64GB (I foolishly went for the 32GB, more memory is always a plus).

EQu app
equalizer app
sonicmaxpro app
flacplayer app
stereophonic app.

I usually just use the headphone out with my ATH-ESW9 and its fine, I don't use my portable amps so much these days.

Feb 12, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
iPod touch 4g  is fine.

I have 30gb ipod video 5g (wolfson dac)  and the iPod touch 4G (we also have an iphone 3G and iphone 4s at home- and a  cowon C2 and we used to have the square iPod nano).

iPod touch 4G is fine, you can also choose between many apps to shape your sound scape - I recommend getting 64GB (I foolishly went for the 32GB, more memory is always a plus).

EQu app
equalizer app
sonicmaxpro app
flacplayer app
stereophonic app.

I usually just use the headphone out with my ATH-ESW9 and its fine, I don't use my portable amps so much these days.

True, and I also thank you for the app recommendations and info.  I think I will just go ahead and get one then.  :)

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #11 of 14
I just got a 4g iPod touch and compared to the SQ in the iPhone 4s, it's definitely thin. I am using an ALO Triple Pipe LOD connected to a C&C BH2 amp and Triple fi 10's. Using the higher end LOD, it's noticeable how small the soundscape is in comparison. However, blips and bleeps in electronic music really pop and the and small soundstage works well for electronic music. 

Apr 15, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #12 of 14
  I just got a 4g iPod touch and compared to the SQ in the iPhone 4s, it's definitely thin. I am using an ALO Triple Pipe LOD connected to a C&C BH2 amp and Triple fi 10's. Using the higher end LOD, it's noticeable how small the soundscape is in comparison. However, blips and bleeps in electronic music really pop and the and small soundstage works well for electronic music. 

Does the BH2 make a big difference compared to the 4g iPod touch alone?

Apr 15, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #13 of 14
Absolutely. The BH2 opens the sound stage, has tightened bass and and an overall clearer presentation than the headphone out. I pretty much have the iPod touch connected to the amp at all times. I would think about another DAP, but being able to wirelessly transmit my music via Spotify or iTunes is priceless to me and worth a slight drop in SQ. Without the amp...well...:wink:

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #14 of 14
Thanks Monty!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back