iPod Touch 4G vs Zune HD (Audio Quality)
Mar 26, 2011 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

jasontsay

New Head-Fier
I currently own a 4th generation iPod Touch and was wondering how much better the Zune HD's audio output is? From what I've heard, Zunes have always had superior sound quality when compared to iPods but also that Apple has been gradually improving iPod audio quality. Is there a noticeable difference between the two newest players from each company?

Mar 26, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #2 of 21
TheDarkSide from ABI reports better sound with the 4G Touch. Here I haven't seen that many reports between the two, but the 4G Touch is at least on par with the SFlo2 if that's any indication ime.  

Mar 27, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #4 of 21
I can't make that assessment, I would have to do an extensive side-by-side with every player. I do prefer it soundwise to the J3/Sony X/Touch 2g/Clip+ but the difference is overall minor. 

Mar 27, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 21
The Touch 4G can be enhanced, and greatly so, by the Equalizer and EQu apps.....something you cannot get on a Zune HD.

Mar 28, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #10 of 21
Kind of a funny poll, and I am really not surprised it has only 3 votes so far. How many people do YOU know would own a zune HD.. and have any interest in buying apple products? I can see people buying the zune1, but the only people buying zune HD couldn't be paid enough to go near an ipod or iphone despite that the HD is officialy old hat the the 4g would be an upgrade in all aspect. :wink:

Mar 28, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #11 of 21
Zune sounds more natural, but iPod Touch4G has more powerful mids and no hiss. Both has a very good soundstage.
If your earphones are easy to drive, Zune will be better, if you have got not easydriven earphones, iPod will make it.
Two players has interesting and fun sound.
As for apps, Apple wins, but Ferrari on Zune is good:)

Mar 28, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #12 of 21
The Zune HD via dock line out sounds as good as a Nuforce HDP's DAC which is a $450 dac/amp combo. I fed the Zune HD into the HDP using 3.5mm and compared the USB DAC of the HDP and the zune through the headphone amplifier of the HDP. I could discern no difference using a AKG K701.

Mar 29, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #13 of 21
I've just had a listen to the same song through the same headphone on my Zune HD, Touch 4th gen, and Cowon J3.

The Touch sounded better than the Zune HD.  Low end was less mushy on the Touch.  Details could be heard on the Touch that I didn't hear on  the Zune HD. Less general distortion and cross-channel mixing on the Touch.

That said, I listened to my J3 last, and it wasn't until then that I caught myself smiling while the music played.  Just saying...  :wink:

Mar 29, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
I've just had a listen to the same song through the same headphone on my Zune HD, Touch 4th gen, and Cowon J3.

The Touch sounded better than the Zune HD.  Low end was less mushy on the Touch.  Details could be heard on the Touch that I didn't hear on  the Zune HD. Less general distortion and cross-channel mixing on the Touch.

That said, I listened to my J3 last, and it wasn't until then that I caught myself smiling while the music played.  Just saying...  :wink:

QFT!!! I love your honesty,...the best thing about you IMO. 
beerchug.gif

Mar 30, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #15 of 21

Quote:

Was this with all EQ and effects disabled?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back