Ipod Touch 2g is very very impressive!
Feb 22, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #61 of 117
The Touch is a great multi media player. It has great SQ and with the addition of apps, it makes it something that everyone can benefit from.
If only there were more video formats and drag and drop...

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #62 of 117
I just got the Cowon S9 and the I still think the iPod Touch is ahead. I would say the mids on the Cowon are better and slightly more forward, but the Touch is warmer and more even across the spectrum. I was so irritated with the skipping in Lossless I ordered just about every other highly recommended source made. Again, with that fixed, I really am a fan.

Feb 22, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #63 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got the Cowon S9 and the I still think the iPod Touch is ahead. I would say the mids on the Cowon are better and slightly more forward, but the Touch is warmer and more even across the spectrum. I was so irritated with the skipping in Lossless I ordered just about every other highly recommended source made. Again, with that fixed, I really am a fan.

Have you tried using BBE Viva? I want to see your opinions on that.

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #64 of 117
just bought a 32gb 2G touch and impressed so far

navigation on the touch screen is sublime, very quick and responsive.

SQ is very good indeed - I'd had a 5.5G IPOD which I liked and an IPOD Classic which was way too bright - this is somewhere in between.

sounds punchy, well separated, and classical (soundtracks etc) music sounds a lot better than other players I've had (Sony S639 etc) - much bigger soundstage.

I'd say this is the big difference vs the 5.5G IPOD too

5.5G IPOD = nice fluffy warm sound, easy to listen to hours on end - but very closed in and narrow/flat

2G Touch = brighter (possibly a touch bright for my liking but way better than the Classic which was way overbright IMO) - but vs the 5.5G IPOD - more punchy sound with a much larger soundstage (very noticeable on classical)

so I'd say about on par at least with the 5.5G on SQ stakes (so thats big worry out of the way)

once you factor in a lovely screen (coverart looks amazing), reponsive menus, then decent video playback and APPS ...

+ wifi

its a no brainer - good one Apple

Feb 27, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #65 of 117
found the 2G a bit TOOO bright now - I had a cold before now thats clearing its making it sound brighter !

simple solution though - just re-rip with dbpoweramp converter with a slight dip in the top end
smily_headphones1.gif
- much better than trying to use the on-board EQ which is rubbish !

Feb 27, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #66 of 117
have to say the overall sound from the Touch 2G reminds me of my 5.5G >LOD> Penguinamp with AD8397 op-amps

found that a bit bright too !

any suggestions of a warm sounding amp to go with the Touch 2G ? definately not a AD8397 based one anyway -as it takes some doing to make a 5.5G IPOD sound bright !

Feb 27, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #69 of 117
ps - with the "cheat" ie EQ during ripping - it just takes that metallic edge off the sound
smily_headphones1.gif

still massive soundstage compared to any other DAP I've heard

right - all we need now is the sound of a Clip/Fuze with the soundstage of the 2G
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #70 of 117
I enjoy the touch, but I do have one qualm on functionality;

That is, it's inconvenient to pause when you're on the go. You have to take the touch out of your pocket (I keep mine on the inside pocket of my coat, which makes it fairly inaccessible most of the time), and actually look at the screen to pause it, unlike others where you can just feel around in your pocket to find the pause button. There are iPod compatible controllers one can buy, but it's another damn expense, and you still have to make sure that the cord provided is good quality and won't interfere with your listening experience.

I'm the type of person who cannot miss any one part of a song and still enjoy it fully. Besides, with larger headphones, you can't keep one earphone in, you have to take the whole damn set off your head in order to talk to somebody-- whom you probably dislike for having interrupted you-- often about something menial.

Feb 27, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #71 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayito-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is, it's inconvenient to pause when you're on the go. You have to take the touch out of your pocket (I keep mine on the inside pocket of my coat, which makes it fairly inaccessible most of the time), and actually look at the screen to pause it, unlike others where you can just feel around in your pocket to find the pause button. There are iPod compatible controllers one can buy, but it's another damn expense, and you still have to make sure that the cord provided is good quality and won't interfere with your listening experience.

Well a free option is to jailbreak your touch, and install PocketTouch by SkylarEC. It's basically a controller in which you use swipes to control and taps to control music playback. Swipe left-right for next track, tap (Or double tap) to pause, and right-left to go back to beginning of the song or the previous song. Easy to use and brilliant.

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #72 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by thechungster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well a free option is to jailbreak your touch, and install PocketTouch by SkylarEC. It's basically a controller in which you use swipes to control and taps to control music playback. Swipe left-right for next track, tap (Or double tap) to pause, and right-left to go back to beginning of the song or the previous song. Easy to use and brilliant.

Although very true, I'm not sure if there are negative repercussions to jailbreaking the iPod Touch. Does this disable or limit interaction with the iTunes Store at all? Can Apple detect Jailbroken iPods? If not; How do I do it? I'm using an OSX 10.4 iBook from 2001.

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #73 of 117
Quote:

I'm the type of person who cannot miss any one part of a song and still enjoy it fully. Besides, with larger headphones, you can't keep one earphone in, you have to take the whole damn set off your head in order to talk to somebody-- whom you probably dislike for having interrupted you-- often about something menial.

Just unplug the headphones. That will automatically pause playback.

Feb 27, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #74 of 117
Quote:

there is also the 'poor-man's pause function' - pull out the headphones... but it is not the best. yeah, that is too bad but... we have to live with it i guess.

Feb 28, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #75 of 117
I totally forgot about that.

Handy, but a little unnerving, especially if you're pulling it out by the cord. The Monster Cable Beats that I owned for a week (and subsequently returned; terrible things, they were) had a nice mic extension (for the iPhone), where the Answer button was conveniently compatible with the iPod Touch and worked well as a controller: One click pause, two click next, three click previous. I'd grown used to its convenience. Damn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back