iPod Touch 2G amp/DAC bypass
Sep 2, 2009 at 8:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Swingtops

Head-Fier
I have an iPod touch and am wondering if there is any way to bypass the internal amp and DAC or am I just stuck with what I have?

Sep 2, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Swingtops /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an iPod touch and am wondering if there is any way to bypass the internal amp and DAC or am I just stuck with what I have?

You can purchase a Line Out Interconnect which will give you a cleaner signal path, but you will need a external amp for volume control.

Sep 2, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #5 of 14
I used an appletv as the solution to that problem. It's not exactly a digital out for ipod, but it works as if it were. You have to have itunes for your ipod anyway, just add an appletv, and then use the spdif out from that. It syncs to your computer, you can tell it to have the same songs as on your ipod, and it works great.

Sep 2, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #9 of 14
none of the SPDIF docks are really portable. I think the relative benefit of dacs is to focus on a good home dac and a way to get digital out, and when going portable, go for gear designed to be used that way.

Sep 2, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

I think the relative benefit of dacs is to focus on a good home dac and a way to get digital out

A DAP used as a home source IS a gimmick, unless it can send audio wirelessly to a receiver/digital out unit that way you can hold it, whilst also transferring music to receiver. A bit like reversed Squeezebo Duet. And even then you're limited to music on the DAP (unless the DAP can also access you lossless large collection on server) A DAP with digital out to something like a D-10 is useful as it allows you quality portable sound.

Sep 2, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Onkyo is going to introduce a dock that functions like the Wadia.

great news lil' any link? i have followed a lot of the add-in stuff from onkyo in the past and love much of their work - the good stuff at least!

Sep 2, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A DAP used as a home source IS a gimmick, unless it can send audio wirelessly to a receiver/digital out unit that way you can hold it, whilst also transferring music to receiver. A bit like reversed Squeezebo Duet. And even then you're limited to music on the DAP (unless the DAP can also access you lossless large collection on server) A DAP with digital out to something like a D-10 is useful as it allows you quality portable sound.

Which is why I suggested an appletv instead of an spdif dock.

Sep 2, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #13 of 14
whoa... I just use a LOD (Line-out-dock) cheap-y that i got from ebay for $15. it's pretty decent quality, oxygen free gold plated connector.

i'm only currently using it with a Cmoy, and really can't understand why you'd need a silver plated braided LOD for an ipod.

FOUND it: New Ipod Male Dock Line out to 3.5mm Audio Output Cable - eBay (item 230373185267 end time Sep-30-09 15:05:08 PDT)

cheapest one on ebay. i figure, if i actually switch to apple lossless, and get a real amp, then $35 for a better one wouldn't be too bad, but this is plenty good. it bypasses the cruddy internal amp, and brings the volume control to the amp itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back