Ipod to DAC via USB?
May 8, 2010 at 5:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

neil.belt

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody.  I have a newb question about ipods.  I am trying to figure out a good source and I get a lot of music from itunes so I would like to be able to use an ipod and a portable dac if that is possible.  I don't want to have to get the ipod modded (Imod), I would rather ensure that all of my sources can output digital to a portable dac via usb, optical, or coax.  I am just not sure if the ipod is able to do this.  I am thinking of either getting the ipod classic, or the ipod touch if these two are different for their output capabilities.

I also would like to know how much control the ipod has over eq settings.  Does it have a 10 ban eq like itunes?  I am considering getting the AKG K701's and I would like to be able to boost the bass a little just in case they are lacking for me.

Thanks, Neil

May 8, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
Hello everybody.  I have a newb question about ipods.  I am trying to figure out a good source and I get a lot of music from itunes so I would like to be able to use an ipod and a portable dac if that is possible.  I don't want to have to get the ipod modded (Imod), I would rather ensure that all of my sources can output digital to a portable dac via usb, optical, or coax.  I am just not sure if the ipod is able to do this.  I am thinking of either getting the ipod classic, or the ipod touch if these two are different for their output capabilities.

I also would like to know how much control the ipod has over eq settings.  Does it have a 10 ban eq like itunes?  I am considering getting the AKG K701's and I would like to be able to boost the bass a little just in case they are lacking for me.

Thanks, Neil

The ipod cannot output digital unless you get it iModded, you can get a somewhat semi line out signal by using the line out port and connecting that to an amp, but it won't be a true line out. 

It cannot output digital  via usb, optical, or coax, if you want a player that does this, I'd suggest an iRiverH140 + iBassoD10 combo as that's popular with the optical/coax crowd. 

Touch and classic have the same out put method (dock port at bottom of player). 

EQ? It has some preset equalizer settings like Acoustic, Rock, Loudness, etc. which IMO are rubbish. You can set it flat if you want but you can't have a custom equalizer setting. You would be able to boost the bass of the K701s hypothetically but IMO you'd also be altering some other part of the spectrum with the preset setting.

You'd do best by leaving the player flat and getting an amp that adds a little extra umph in the bass area although I'd suggest you'd get another player altogether if you want a higher quality output and an equalizer. 

If anything is confusing or you need any more help, feel free to PM me :)

May 8, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #3 of 5
Thank you, I will look into the iRiver now.  I defenitely don't want to use an ipod without a digital out, and I can't afford to get the mod for it. 

May 8, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Thank you, I will look into the iRiver now.  I defenitely don't want to use an ipod without a digital out, and I can't afford to get the mod for it. 

Depending on how confident you are with a soldering iron you could always try and mod it yourself.
That or there are people other than RWA who can and will mod it for a cheaper price. Read into it.

May 8, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #5 of 5
The iMod/diyMod taps the analog output of the iPod's DAC, so you won't get digital out by going that route. I've not heard of any mod that can get you a digital stream from an iPod, though if someone knows otherwise I'd love to hear about it.

It's definitely possible to get a digital out from an iPod (see Wadia iTransport), but I'm not aware of any portable product that does it. I remember reading about a possible product in the works in this thread.  Not sure where that project's at. There's another interesting looking product in the works in Japan.  Pretty sure they all use some sort of chip from Apple to "unlock" the iPod for digital out.

Good luck finding an H120/140. I saw a thread in the For Sale forum for an H140 and iBasso d10 just the other day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back