iPod shuffle or Nano to power Westone 3's?
Nov 12, 2009 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Bohemianism

100+ Head-Fier
So my Westone 3's will be here soon (first venture in world of IEM). I have a 5.5G iPod Video which I'll mainly use (studying at university, commuting, etc), but I want an ipod nano or shuffle just for exercise.

Seeing as I have a large ipod, I'm not too concerned with storage or having a screen, my only concern is if the shuffle (new or old models) could actually power the Westone 3's decently.
If not would the nano do a better job.

I'm also flirting with the idea of getting some Yuin Pk2 or Pk3 so incase I get them take it into consideration also (although I image anything that can power the Westone3's okay should be able to power the PK3 or 2's fine)

Thanks in advance

Nov 12, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #4 of 5
Latest Shuffles wont do as there are no controls on the unit only on the cord of the stock buds.

Nov 12, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #5 of 5
yeah, if you go shuffle, the first gen is probably best as it (other than hiss) is simple a phenomenal for driving low ohm phones. That said, the Westone 3 is a balanced armature phone and as such, will suffer severe impedance swings and unless you have a 0 ohm amp, will not sound nearly as good as they can sound.

The pk2 or 3 will be much easier for ANY portable audio player to actually drive. I am not talking about volume, but ability to sustain bass/treble signal, stereo image, and acceptable levels of distortion.

whatever you get, i would not suggest the new ipod shuffle which needs an external adapter in order to utilise non-cpu earphones.

the sansa fuze/clip are also very good, though not quite as spectacular as the first gen shuffle (well, they hiss less).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back