ipod pausing with poor headphone connection?
Nov 1, 2004 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Davie

1000+ Head-Fier
Well, I just bought an ipod 4G 20gb to replace my Karma. One of the first things I noticed is that the thing would pause spontaneously, seemingly at random. After checking on the apple forums and ipod lounge, I found that it is a "feature" of the ipod that it pauses when the headphones are disconnected. I think that the problem I'm having may have to do with a poor headphone connection since it has only occurred when I've been using my Sennheiser 280pros. Has anyone else had trouble with this, and does it significantly limit the types of cans that the ipod will play happily with?

Thanks.

Nov 1, 2004 at 4:46 PM Post #2 of 18
I own a fair amt of sennheiser headphones, I dont seem to have this problem though. But anyway I use the remote... so it somehow doesnt affect me. I dont think the audio quality suffers as a result of using the remote.. to my ears IMO.

Nov 1, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 18
I've experienced the same problem with the dt250-80. I've had those for a long while though, so it's probably due to electrical erosion of the gold plated plug.

The socket seems pretty loose for all my headphones - compared to my sony d-ej925 into which all my phones click safely into place.

Nov 2, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 18
It is normal if the headphone is unplugged and plugged in for the iPod to pause. So if you have a poor connection I quess the same thing would happen.

Nov 2, 2004 at 8:55 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by lextek
It is normal if the headphone is unplugged and plugged in for the iPod to pause. So if you have a poor connection I quess the same thing would happen.

I tried a bunch of different headphones. The HD280s are the only ones with this problem. My Senn PX100s silver plug is so messed up that I can barely get enough contact to hear anything out of one channel, but the Ipod keeps chugging along. My AT A1000s plug got bent and goes into the Ipod at an angle, but the Ipod has no problem with that. But it just doesn't like the 280s, even though you can actually *hear* something, unlike the PX100s. Go figure...

Jan 31, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #9 of 18
I have a 3G 20gb Ipod and it does not do this.

I just got a U2 4G 20GB pod (yes I know
orphsmile.gif
) and it does. It pauses if you woggle/twist the jack in the socket, or pull it out even part way. It does it with standard ipod phones and with ER4Ps.

If it's a 'feature' it's a poor one imho
mad.gif
As I say, the previous version didn't do this, so it can't be by design.

Jan 31, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Heidshade
I have a 3G 20gb Ipod and it does not do this.

I just got a U2 4G 20GB pod (yes I know
orphsmile.gif
) and it does. It pauses if you woggle/twist the jack in the socket, or pull it out even part way. It does it with standard ipod phones and with ER4Ps.

If it's a 'feature' it's a poor one imho
mad.gif
As I say, the previous version didn't do this, so it can't be by design.

When I initially called AppleCare about this problem, they told me that this was an intentional feature of the iPod and implied that it was in some way desirable or even necessary.
rolleyes.gif

Every once in awhile I rack my brain trying to figure out a reason why anyone would want this "feature" and I have yet to come up with a single good candidate.

Jan 31, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davie
When I initially called AppleCare about this problem, they told me that this was an intentional feature of the iPod and implied that it was in some way desirable or even necessary.
rolleyes.gif

Every once in awhile I rack my brain trying to figure out a reason why anyone would want this "feature" and I have yet to come up with a single good candidate.

The reason why they put that feature into the Ipod was for the people who sometimes snag there headphone plug by accident so the ipod pause's the song so they won't miss a beat.

I think it's a good and helpful feature because I sometimes accidentially snag the cord and my plug comes out and I don't want to miss a beat.
600smile.gif

Jan 31, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davie
rolleyes.gif

Actually I can give you one good example. As you know, the iPod shuts off automatically after 60 seconds of non-usage. For me, the "pause when headphones are unplugged" feature is good because I can unplug my phones when I walk into a room and the iPod will turn off by itself after a minute without me having to take it out of my pocket and turn it off manually. I believe that's the intention of the design.

Jan 31, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #15 of 18
Well, I guess some people like the feature, but I don't!
mad.gif
Is there a way to turn it off?? If I want to pause my iPod, I'll just use the pause button...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back