"iPod Overrated?"
Apr 12, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #17 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
I don't see the lack of file sharing as an issue...as someone has already stated on the other site, it's stealing.

What are you referring to with this comment?

I know of at least two programs that allow file sharing with ipods (i.e. uploading songs from your ipod to a computer)...one of them being podutil. You can also hook up two ipods through a network for sharing through eupod.

Apr 12, 2005 at 2:58 AM Post #18 of 92
I was seriously considering a sony DAP but I wanted something that I could even use. I chose the ipod as it was recommended by several headfiers to me for ease of use. I have problems using itunes and therefore use Realplayer to help me move music to the ipod. The clickwheel volume control is a pain, but overall I like the SQ the ipod produces as far as DAP goes. I have never heard any others so I couldn't comment on their SQ. To be honest I don't even know if I am using the right ripping algorithm but it seems to work and generally sounds quite good.

As for why people bash them I am not entirely sure. Is it Apple's marketing stratgedy disliked? Or maybe people were promised something in the advertising campaign then found out it was from the truth, therefore they feel angry being misled?

Apr 12, 2005 at 4:08 AM Post #20 of 92
I dislike the iPod because it doesn't do gapless playback, which is crucial for me, but other than that I think it deserves to be well regarded, though I don't consider its styling as cool as most people think (it's actually getting really dated, in serious need of a revamp) nor its interface as intuitive as most people think. I also think drag and drop functionality is for techies only. For the rest, a software is a better option. It's just easier to organize things. And I don't see any problem in restricting uploading songs to the computer. Maybe because I love classical music and see it dying slowly, I feel it's just fair to pay for the music and support those who supply it.

Apr 12, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #21 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWFokker
I dislike the ipod because it sounds like ****

it only "sounds bad" if you are looking for non hi fi sound, in my opinion. the iPod has a relatively neutral, balanced sound.
Quote:

has a mandatory software interface

only true on the Mac side, and i'm not totally sure about that, and few Mac users are going to mind using iTunes. in my opinion it's one of the Killer Apps.
Quote:

and doesn't support alternate codecs.

lets look at what it doesn't support:
1. WMP; apple is philosophicaly opposed to Microsoft. supported only by minority DAPs.
2: FLAC; ALAC is, for all practical purposes, identical. not popular with lay public.
3: Ogg Vorbis; not widely used, and AAC is arguably better. supported by few DAP's.
4: MPC; used even less widely than Ogg Vorbis. supported by no DAP's that i know of.
5: Monkey's Audio; as far as i can tell, used even less than MPC. supported by no DAP's that i know of.

what formats that are even vaguely useful am i missing?

Apr 12, 2005 at 6:33 AM Post #22 of 92
No gapless is the real kicker for me. That, and the price.

Apr 12, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #23 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twombly
No gapless is the real kicker for me. That, and the price.

Yeah there are a few features the iPod could do with but I'd say most poeple wouldn't really care.

This site, and other places like it are great for picking things like the "gap" between songs thing out - but most people enjoy the iPod and iTunes for other reasons (asthetics and ease of use). Until there's another viable player that can match these features then people will still buy iPods over the other competitors.

ZT

Apr 12, 2005 at 7:56 AM Post #24 of 92
gapless playback is basically the only thing i really wanted added to the iPod line. unless i manage to break my current 3G 30Gb iPod, i'm not going to buy a new one until gapless playback is introduced.

Apr 12, 2005 at 9:14 AM Post #25 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
gapless playback is basically the only thing i really wanted added to the iPod line. unless i manage to break my current 3G 30Gb iPod, i'm not going to buy a new one until gapless playback is introduced.

How bad are the gaps on the ipods? i've never tested that before. on the micro the gap between tracks is barely audible, its more of an 1/8th of a second hic-up. Not that big of a deal IMO. But if the gap was longer or more pronounced i think it would get annoying, but enough to buy a DAP over?
rolleyes.gif
thats probably just me though.

Apr 12, 2005 at 11:47 AM Post #29 of 92
Actually, monkeys audio is a lossless codec, so ALAC takes care of that.

MPC - Supported by NO portables currently.

Vorbis - ~AAC, perhaps vorbis is a bit better at q4+.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back