"iPod Overrated?"
Apr 13, 2005 at 6:50 PM Post #61 of 92
Seijang and Edvard_Grieg, Thank U.
Just asking - my experience with HD DAPs extends only as far as the two I own.
So there may be possible performance issues with simple drag-and-drop: I had read the theory because I use both Notmad (NJB3) and Anapod (iPod).

Note that Windows recognises my iPod as a mounted hard drive - you can drag-and-drop any files you like onto it just like any hard drive - but you need music management software to populate the iPod's internal music database during music file transfers so the iPod can see the music.

Cheers.

Apr 13, 2005 at 7:02 PM Post #62 of 92
Is there a rebuild utility with ipod/itunes?

Samsung YH-920 is seen as a HD, so can copy music with windows explorer (like you do with the H140) but of course the database on the Samsung isn't updated. So you rebuild the index (searches the DAP for MP3 files) that way can just use explorer which is much faster transferring that MP, and just rebuild after copying. Also if I need to batch rename the files on the Samsung - one time to create longer descriptive names to avoid duplicate naming- then just rebuild.

Everytime I copy music onto the Samsun I did it this way. Can't be bothered with Media Player + transferring.
icon10.gif

Apr 13, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #63 of 92
Yep, exactly. With the Carbon it functions as drag and drop for everything. The reason it takes longer to boot with d&d is because it has to check the database index on its own to make sure things are correct. With the software, all this can be done for it and thus it doesn't have that overhead. I dont' believe the delay is *that* bad on the Carbon, but definitely shorter than the iRivers. I know that enabling DB mode on them creates a huge overhead, which is too bad.

Apr 13, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #64 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seijang
You obviously don't get it!
I don't care how great iTunes is. I don't want to use it. I want to use drag and drop. It's like I asked for an answer for a math question and you keep giving me a lecture on Buddha or something!
And don't bring up third party software. It's not official, it doesn't count. It's still software you need to use, it's still extra baggage THAT COULD BE MADE OPTIONAL!

How old are you? You're acting like you're about 12 years old.

You asked questions and I answered them. It really doesn't matter if you like the answer or not... it's still the answer. You can throw a silly tantrum, but it won't change anything.

You need a "time out", pal.

See ya
Steve

Apr 14, 2005 at 9:46 AM Post #65 of 92
Quote:

True gapless playback is a problem with individually encoded mp3's for all players, but in the scheme of this thread, the pod is no better/worse than any of them.

Rio Karma? The main reason I got it was because of gapless. I consider gapless playback to be essential - burning as one big file is just plain ridiculous - I like to choose specific songs to start on. But I don't want the irritating little gaps that completely destroy the flow of music. Rio proved that it could be done, and the player was no more expensive than others when released. Now, barring Sony, it is STILL the only player doing gapless. If Rio can do it, so can all the others, and it is sheer laziness on the part of Apple to not include this feature.

Quote:

i dont know much about the file formats that are not being used by the ipod but don't file formats require a licence for the company to use which would cost money and as pointed out already not many people even ****ing know what the lossless formats are; so they'd simply be wasting their money.

OGG is a FREE file format, which is, in many people's opinion, the best lossy format to encode music in.

Apr 14, 2005 at 12:20 PM Post #66 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Girdag
OGG is a FREE file format, which is, in many people's opinion, the best lossy format to encode music in.

it may be free, but majority of players don't support this format

Apr 14, 2005 at 12:59 PM Post #67 of 92
OGG may be free, but most people use mp3 because its more supported, and they don't pay anything to encode in it directly (Since most pirate or use iTunes or what not)

Plus, ogg needs better hardware/cpu to work, as it needs a FPU, and the non-fpu version sucks at the moment.

Besides, the iPod(s) can hold a Sine wave better then other mp3 players:
http://home.comcast.net./~machrone/p...playertest.htm

Apr 14, 2005 at 2:07 PM Post #69 of 92
Yes, but I am saying that OGG support would be a good feature for a player.

Quote:

Besides, the iPod(s) can hold a Sine wave better then other mp3 players:

We've already seen this, and this study is hidiously flawed in its choice of players to test. It tests 3 iPods and 2 players which are very similar in their chipset. And the only iPod that is shown to be good is the Shuffle.

Apr 14, 2005 at 8:59 PM Post #72 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by perplex
almost all non-ipod mp3 player owners i've talked to passionately HATE the ipod, why?

It's probably the same way people in Fords hate those driving Porsches... envy, a nagging feeling that they aren't the top dog and a hatred of the Porsche drivers smugness? JOKE!
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 14, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #74 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by perplex
almost all non-ipod mp3 player owners i've talked to passionately HATE the ipod, why?

Seijang you can get a drag & drop program for ipod (Anapod)

Perhaps sometime in the past an ipod stole their girlfriends, I don't know.

Quote:

It's probably the same way people in Fords hate those driving Porsches... envy, a nagging feeling that they aren't the top dog and a hatred of the Porsche drivers smugness?

I hope you were joking, cause otherwise you just gave an example whe people hate the ipod. It's cause of the idiotic things many ipod owners say.

Apr 14, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #75 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
I hope you were joking, cause otherwise you just gave an example whe people hate the ipod. It's cause of the idiotic things many ipod owners say.

Of course I'm joking. I don't think that many non iPod owners "HATE" the iPod. People will always be defending the player they have, which is fine but it would be nice if people were open to the possibility that there are other (sometimes even better) options out there. That goes vice versa too. I think most "fair-minded" people on this site just want to be aware of all the players out there and what they do - regardless of the player they own.

All those non-iPod owners who "Hate" the iPod... well I think they should accept that life's too short, enjoy what they have and stop hating. Until you've tried everything it's a bit silly having extreme opinions. You're coming from a point of ignorance (what a terrible place to come from. Hee)

I think that the opinions I respect most are from those lucky enough to have a range of players and have compared them fairly.

Competition is a great thing, makes players better so my fingers are crossed that some other manufacturer can put up a viable alternative to iPod so that Apple are pushed to improve on some of the things the iPod lacks.

ZT

Users who are viewing this thread

Back