Ipod or not ?
Jul 10, 2003 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

miziq

100+ Head-Fier
Im considering getting portable mp3 player. I own mac Ibook laptop. Would all of you that have allready ipod recomend it .... pros and con please

thanks in advance

yours

miziq

Jul 10, 2003 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 34
Good forum choice!
biggrin.gif

I don't own an Ipod, but go with MD unless you strictly want MP3's on a portable device. Good luck with whatever you get.

Jul 10, 2003 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 34
If you want better sound quality, do as jack says and go MD. But if you want extreme portability with a bucketload of tunes, go iPod. If you encode at a bitrate of 256 or higher from a good source, I think you'ld be hard pressed to hear a difference with MD, except in a direct A/B comparison.
The iPod/iBook is a stunning combination.........they were made for each other.
BTW......although jack thinks this a good forum for this question, I'm moving it to the portable forum. Sorry, jack.
wink.gif

Jul 10, 2003 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 34
It's quite alright.
biggrin.gif
Based on your comment, I think you were being sarcastic which means you know I was being sarcastic. But if you weren' kidding, I was. Hope you understand.
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2003 at 12:32 AM Post #5 of 34
Go with the iPod, unless you have a specific need where MD is a better fit. Those include gym/heavy activity or certain price considerations. If it's between ATRAC or MP3/AAC/AIFF/AA/future formats, I'd go with the later. Watch the for sale forum. There aren't many "I'm getting out of MP3" threads. Again there are uses where MD is superior, though.

Have owned Sony R70 MD, Creative NJB and iPod. Happiest with the last, though it's also the most expensive.

If you go with the iPod, from your profile interests, consider an Audible membership also.

Good luck.

Jul 11, 2003 at 3:07 AM Post #6 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by jack963
It's quite alright.
biggrin.gif
Based on your comment, I think you were being sarcastic which means you know I was being sarcastic. But if you weren' kidding, I was. Hope you understand.
biggrin.gif

I know you were being sarcastic, jack. I love sarcasm. It's how I survived for 32 years in a junior high school.
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2003 at 8:11 AM Post #9 of 34
Sorry, I've been a 3rd gen owner from when they first came out, and they don't suck. Get a 3rd gen. Sure, the 2nd gen ones are ok, but its cool to go with the newest stuff, and I just like my thinner, curvy 30GB. Sexy, sexy.
wink.gif

*edit*
BUT then again, this is my opinion. You are of course, very welcome to have your own opinion on the subject.
cool.gif

Jul 11, 2003 at 1:09 PM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by jack963
I thoroughly enjoy it too. Man, you got held back a lot.
wink.gif

I own all three generations. They all "suck" until the firmware/software upgrades catch up. Sometimes they even backslide with a less than perfect firmware/software upgrade. In the end Apple has not let me down. The iPod really is a fantastic product, and I never leave home without one.

Jul 11, 2003 at 4:11 PM Post #11 of 34
I've owned one 10GB, one 15GB and two 20GB iPods. Unless you have ghetto firewire problems like I do, iPods are a great choice. Now that I've got my 20GB up and working, I couldn't be happier. Battery life kinda sucks, though, even though I hear it's supposedly better than the 3rd generation ones. Other than that, though, I think it's great.
biggrin.gif

iPod + Ety's = bliss.

Jul 11, 2003 at 5:18 PM Post #12 of 34
thanx guys

it seems that is heavy YES for ipod, i guess ill save a bit more money and go for it. But probably i can only afford 10gb model.

And yes ibook white and ipod color seemt to match ok.

Sarcastic on no... i thougt you were sooooo friendly
smily_headphones1.gif
)))))))))

thanks

Jul 11, 2003 at 5:31 PM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by miziq
And yes ibook white and ipod color seemt to match ok.

I do believe that the iPod and iBooks are the same color of white.. using basically the same material.. I don't have an iBook in front of me, but I just returned one to a client, and it looked about the same as my iPod..

Jul 11, 2003 at 5:31 PM Post #14 of 34
I've had 2 30 gig iPods die. No warning... no nothing. The first one I'd had less than 2 months. One day it would not connect to the computer. Sent it to Apple and they couldn't fix it either. Got my second one. Had it for 22 days. Was upgrading to 2.0 firmware and it completely died. Wouldn't reset... wouldn't charge. Nothing. Now I'm waiting for Apple to send me the box to ship it back to them so they can either fix it or send me another one. On top of that they ******** up my repair order (exactly like on my first iPod) and forgot to send the box out. I've been waiting a week to get it and today they finally said "We'll expediate that box out to you!". So far I'm not real happy with Apple's support... & I've been a Mac user all my life. When the iPod(s) worked... they worked fantastic. I'll reserve final judgement until I get the third one. When they work they work great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back