Ipod Nano sound quality???
Sep 11, 2005 at 2:28 AM Post #31 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oga
Wow, I didn't realize that FM radio is only listed to by "geeks". Is that how it got to be - and remains so popular, ubiquitous and profitable? Seems to me more likely that it is only geeks who would not want radio!
biggrin.gif

No you are looking at it the wrong way. Radio or recorder or 'coolest feature ever' add complexity which is what people dont want and simplicity is where the ipod excels.

Plus the target market of radio keeps skewing older and older and they are losing listeners; The younger crowd that buys ipods either downloads their music or gets it off MTV. Radio for a teen or twenty something is almost irrelevant.

I've said it before but it bears repeating. WE are not the demographic that Apple is going after. We are the geeks and we get off on the arcane features that mean nothing to 98% of the rest of the world. OGG support, line in recording, support for Jim's really cool codec and so on

Sep 11, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #32 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oga

That's the disadvantage of buying your hardware (MP3 player) from a vendor (Apple) who is in the business of peddling their own software (Itunes music store) Their best interests do not always coincide with yours. Better to buy your MP3 player from someone who simply wants to sell you the best MP3 player you can get, rather than one who is actually just trying to lock you in to buy their music.

Therefore, I'd expect to NEVER see a radio on an Ipod, despite the HUGE and obvious demand for that feature.

So Sony has the connect music store, (proprietary) Creative and Iriver to name others support Microsoft's proprietary WMA "plays for maybe".

Please it obvious you dont like apple, but they are not doing anything that creative or sony or iriver would not do in a second if they were the market leader. All it does is make the Apple like all the rest of them no better or worse.

But they all support MP3 and they all want to sell you a player that plays their content and if they think that putting in a radio would help get their player in your hands they would do it tomorrow. Apple must be doing somethings right

Sep 11, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #33 of 132
Regarding Nano sound quality, it licks my Sony D-NE10 easily even when using the line out. I have Nano going into a PA2V2 --> Grado 325i and I'm really shocked how good this little thing sounds. Plenty of tight, natural sounding low end and highs that are open and airy. My Grado 325i, Bayer 770, and Senn 280 all sound "respectable" even when plugged directly into the Nano headphone output.

I never purchased any Apple product before this Nano. I'm very pleased with my new Portal to Sonic Pleasure, and that my friends is all that matters to me.

Sep 11, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #35 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by enkrypt
Regarding Nano sound quality, it licks my Sony D-NE10 easily even when using the line out.

That's saying a lot. This is comparing original manufactured audio cd with lossless/lossy?

Sep 11, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #36 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets
If the nano did have a radio, it would be completely worthless. Why? Reception from any antenna you can fit in such a tiny device would be abysmal. And if the nano had that radio which didn't really work, what would people say then?

"They should have left off the radio, there's no point in having it."

With no radio, people want one. But if there was one it would probably be so worthless anyway that people would rather it was left off in the first place. Whatever Apple does, there will be always be people who think they should have done something they didn't, or that they shouldn't have done something they did. It's a vicious cycle.

Edit: Oh, and I changed my mind. The nano sounds pretty good after all. My bad.

you really have not used a portable with a radio before eh? whoever taught you that portable players that has radio uses an internal antenna? apple?
wink.gif
they use the heaphone's cable as the antenna. omg...

anyway, radio would be useful for some people who needs them. and if apple do decide to include radio in their future ipods, i am 99% sure that most of you who are dissing radio now would praise apple to the sky for being so 'thoughtful' and 'innovative' to include radio into their ipods.
rolleyes.gif

Sep 11, 2005 at 6:04 AM Post #37 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oga
Wow, I didn't realize that FM radio is only listed to by "geeks". Is that how it got to be - and remains so popular, ubiquitous and profitable? Seems to me more likely that it is only geeks who would not want radio!
biggrin.gif

Come on, the truth is more likely that Apple is
1) continuing the jedi mind trick they did on the Shuffle "oh, you don't really want a screen/radio" - in order to cut costs
2) intentionally locking out radio broadcasting in order to further push "pod-casting", which they want to make money out of
3) furthermore blocking radio broadcast ie free music from coming into a device whose business model is actually built on them (Apple) selling music to you

That's the disadvantage of buying your hardware (MP3 player) from a vendor (Apple) who is in the business of peddling their own software (Itunes music store) Their best interests do not always coincide with yours. Better to buy your MP3 player from someone who simply wants to sell you the best MP3 player you can get, rather than one who is actually just trying to lock you in to buy their music.

Therefore, I'd expect to NEVER see a radio on an Ipod, despite the HUGE and obvious demand for that feature.

I do not see why you guys want a radio with iPod. Can't you just go get a Griffin iFM and attach to your iPod? I will not want an unnessary feature added to the iPod and making the thing more complicated and bigger.

Sep 11, 2005 at 6:26 AM Post #38 of 132
Integrated radio is not in demand. What's on the radio that iPod users want to hear? Music?? Put it on the iPod. Problem solved. Talk shows? News? Comedy? iPod is about MUSIC. That is their idea. Their goal. "It's all about the music". You can buy Fm radios from radio shack that are the size of a wristwatch. Why make the iPod bigger and more expensive for a radio? It's not what Apple is trying to do. Is it useful? Hell yeah. I use one. I use one to tune into the gym's television while on the tredmill. But I just use a 3rd party addon for the ipod. We all have it made.

Sep 11, 2005 at 6:35 AM Post #39 of 132
Anyway, this thread is about Nano sound quality. Seems that nothing has imporoved. It is still a little early to tell, but it probably hasn't improved. Apple is on a roll right now. If they just improve ANYTHING (the size in this case) it will sell like hotcakes. So be happy that it didn't WORSEN. Because if it did, it would STILL SELL!! If you want perfection for $249 then hold your breath.

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:23 AM Post #40 of 132
I think there might be a chance that apple did not include a radio on any Ipod because devices that contain radios cannot be used on airplanes. My SE W800i walkman phone has a "plane mode" in which you can play music, but not use the phone or radio. I know a lot of people use players that contain radios on planes, but non of these have the widespread user base of the Ipod. It would only take one newsheadline like "Ipods make planes unsafe" (planted by Gates of course) and suddenly travellers would have to look elsewhere.

Sep 11, 2005 at 7:42 AM Post #41 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by ripfrankwhite
Anyway, this thread is about Nano sound quality. Seems that nothing has imporoved. It is still a little early to tell, but it probably hasn't improved.

What are you talking about? PC Magazine's review says they have measurements saying the sound quality has improved. Several people have commented that they think the sound quality has improved. All indications are that the sound quality may very well have improved. We'll have to wait for published measurements before making final conclusions, but I haven't seen any evidence yet that it hasn't improved.

Sep 11, 2005 at 8:02 AM Post #42 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy
What are you talking about? PC Magazine's review says they have measurements saying the sound quality has improved. Several people have commented that they think the sound quality has improved. All indications are that the sound quality may very well have improved. We'll have to wait for published measurements before making final conclusions, but I haven't seen any evidence yet that it hasn't improved.

First of all, calm down. Second of all, PC Magazine's review says that it has improved from what? The ipod mini. But the output stage is not as strong as the shuffle's. Some have commented that it is not an improvement. There is evidence of improvement and of no improvement. PC magazine's article is "evidence that it hasn't improved" beyond the shuffle. Just buy it and listen for yourself. Have fun and don't get so defensive.
smily_headphones1.gif
Read and think, then maybe you'll know "what I'm talking about".

Sep 11, 2005 at 8:19 AM Post #43 of 132
The Nano has no discrete output stage -- it's not going to be able to deliver as much current as the Shuffle. I don't doubt that. But you said it didn't improve at all. If, as PC Magazine seems to imply they have measurements of, Apple has solved (or reduced) the bass rolloff issue, that solves the most important issue with the iPod's sound quality.

Sep 11, 2005 at 12:29 PM Post #44 of 132
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub
anyway, radio would be useful for some people who needs them. and if apple do decide to include radio in their future ipods, i am 99% sure that most of you who are dissing radio now would praise apple to the sky for being so 'thoughtful' and 'innovative' to include radio into their ipods.
rolleyes.gif

Realtime podcasting, that's brilliant!

Wodgy, really, I've seen people say that the nano sounds worse than a shuffle, I've seen people say it sounds better than a shuffle, and I've seen people(the majority actually) say it sounds the same. Even if it has improved, the difference is obviously so miniscule it isn't worth thinking about. If it was an actual improvement worth anything, we wouldn't need to wait for conclusions.

Sep 11, 2005 at 1:20 PM Post #45 of 132
I don't think the issue is whether it sounds better than the shuffle, because the shuffle (supposedly) sounds quite good. The issue is whether it's better than all of the other iPods, and I don't think that is really a question anymore. It definitely sounds better than the mini. A lot better. It seemed to sound better than the full size iPod as well when I listened to one, but I only listened for about 5 minutes so I can't say for sure.

But anyway, the nano sounds good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back