iPod Nano 6/7th Generation V.S. Sansa Clip Plus
Dec 29, 2011 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

intercrew

New Head-Fier
I just recently recieved a iPod nano the small mini one with a touchscreen (so hard to use cause it's so small and the buttons just are on the wrong spots to be honest) and planning on selling it or giving it to a friend because it can't play FLAC.

However, I recently used dbPoweramp converter and I must say, the thing converted all my FLAC files rather quickly into ALAC so it can be played. One note that is that the new ALAC files are 1mb bigger and 1% compression difference (I think the FLAC was around 28 or 27 while the ALAC was 28 or 27 vise versa for the songs in one of my certain album).

Now thats one problem solved but I've read too much on the iPod lineup having one of the worst sounds compared to their old generations like the 5th ipod Classic. This is giving me a lot of placebo effect and hinders my choice.

For those who have tried the new nano and sansa clip, any thoughts or feedbacks? I just don't want to waste $50 or so on a sansa 8gb clip when I can just use the nano for a few of my flac files (already owning a 32gb micro sd for expansion if I do get the sansa).

I know that everything sounds different of course depening on what the sound is coming out from per say the headphones. so if anyone has used these two with the exact same headphones, feel free to reply.

Thanks!

Dec 29, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 13
I own both The iPod Nano 6G and the Sansa Clip+ and to be honest my iPod Nano 6G has cleaner SQ than my Sansa Clip+ but once the Sansa Clip + is Rockboxed the SQ is a lot warmer. No matter how great the sound of the Sansa Clip+ is once Rockboxed I still prefer the clean crisp SQ of my iPod Nano 6G. The only problem I have with the Nano 6G is the damn EU volume restriction it has.

Dec 29, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 13
I prefer the flat/no eq on the nano. Its strange because its the only DAP where I prefer no EQ. I prefer to use EQ on all my other DAPs especially my Cowon DAPs. I really do think that the iPod Nano has really good crisp SQ with good soundstage so no EQ is needed.

Dec 30, 2011 at 7:26 AM Post #5 of 13
An ipod on no eq always makes me suspicious, doesn't quite feel there's nothing going on. I don't think there's a hug difference in sound quality though, there is however a huge difference in the interface.

Dec 31, 2011 at 12:39 AM Post #7 of 13
Dec 31, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
Thanks guys, I decided to keep the iPod and get a cowon later on for now. Btw there's a mod for the new nano? I know there's a rockbox mod for the older ones but idk about this.

I don't think there is one for the new Nano. It's too soon.

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
Mod one of these new Nanos? Have you seen how small they are?

Well, it depends on the generation well it cant be done. But you might be able to have a DIYer do it.

Dec 31, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
I own both The iPod Nano 6G and the Sansa Clip+ and to be honest my iPod Nano 6G has cleaner SQ than my Sansa Clip+ but once the Sansa Clip + is Rockboxed the SQ is a lot warmer. No matter how great the sound of the Sansa Clip+ is once Rockboxed I still prefer the clean crisp SQ of my iPod Nano 6G. The only problem I have with the Nano 6G is the damn EU volume restriction it has.

If you still have the Clip+, try the fw ending in 09. It's warm and still crisp. I prefer it to rockbox. The clip+ will always have the advantage of being able to hold 40gb of tunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back