iPod Nano 2G vs. 5G
Mar 11, 2010 at 2:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Mochan

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello people,

I've been using my iPod Nano 2G for like the past 3 years or so. I've been relatively happy with it but comparing it to a Cowon D2 or even just a Sansa Clip of all things shows me that its sound quality is just lacking.

I personally would like to stay with the Nano family since I like its size, interface and I have LODs and other gear that work with it already, but I really can't compromise that much on the sound quality anymore.

D2 and the clip showed me how much better a DAP can sound. Is the Nano 5G a big step up in SQ? Is it at least able to duke it out with the Clip at least (minus EQ, damn you Apple for your crappy EQ settings)? I mean I'm thinking it's too much to ask for it to compare favorably to a Cowon.

But if it does... what are your thoughts my fellow headfiers?

Mar 15, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #3 of 8
Well I can tell you the Cowon D2 sounds a lot better.

Apr 1, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #5 of 8
Well just to update, I did an AB of the 2G and 5G. Verdict: The 5G sounds better. But let me qualify that:

2G is slightly boomier on the low end but less tight. It's also grainier all around.
5G is tighter in all frequencies with more detail especially in the low end. Less impact though but clearer mids.

That about sums it up.

Apr 1, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #6 of 8
My friend is an Apple guy and we played around with my new Sansa Fuze and his Nano 5G. We both agreed the Sansa fuze has alot better overall sound using his Bose headphones and using my Sony 36V's.

It has better instrument separation/detail I think. You can hear the strumming of the bass guitar and the lead guitar. As where iwth Ipod Nano 5G it lends to be more blended. It's not a horrible sounding player but it didn't really compare to the Sansa Fuze which I do believe uses the same audio chip as the Clip+. I think the clip+ sounds identical to the Fuze.

I will say the nano5G is more fun with it's interface and the videocamera than the Fuze but the Fuze's interface is good and I think how still pictures are shown are actually nice and video playback is a step behind the nano but for it's purpose it's good.

Sound Quality, I think the Fuze and clip+ are head and shoulders above the nano 5thG

For fun nano

For SQ Sansa.

and oh yeah there's that whole micro sd card memory expansion as well
beerchug.gif

Apr 1, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mochan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well just to update, I did an AB of the 2G and 5G. Verdict: The 5G sounds better. But let me qualify that:

2G is slightly boomier on the low end but less tight. It's also grainier all around.
5G is tighter in all frequencies with more detail especially in the low end. Less impact though but clearer mids.

That about sums it up.

That sounds about right. New iPods use a better output stage which: won't boom because the bass with most earphones will go down to 20Hz with no degradation of signal while old ones roll off. But, if you don't notice that on the D2, then I wonder why the Nano 2G is a problem.

Maybe you use effects on the D2? The D2 rolls off the same as old iPods and without EQ and effects is pretty meh. I sold it because of boom and roll off. I had headaches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back