iPod Nano 2G, anyone have one of these?
May 19, 2012 at 11:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

beaver316

Headphoneus Supremus
The reason why i ask this is because i recently found out (from this site) that this tiny little player has a Wolfson WM8975 dac. Now i've had this player for 5 or 6 years now, and from what i remember it had pretty below average sound quality, backed up by plenty of impressions i found online about the player.

So now my question is, is this because of the dac itself or maybe because of the amp or headphone jack circuitry? The iPod 5.5G for example receives plenty of praise for it's sound quality but it has a Wolfson WM87588G. Are the two dacs that much different. Or is it the amp that makes the difference in the audio quality between the two players?

I plan on getting an LOD to pair the Nano 2g with my Fiio E17, which incidentally also has a Wolfson. This should override the internal amp and jack circuitry and use the iPod's dac with the amp from the E17. Anyone else here tried this, with any external amp not just the E17? Any comments on sound?

Also found a link comparing all the dacs from all iPods. As you can see the Nano 2g is pretty high.

http://macintoshhowto.com/itunes/which-ipod-has-the-best-audio-quality.html

May 20, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 3
Rockbox it and play FLAC's. Make sure you pair the RB'd ipod with decent phones.

That's my suggestions if you have not done it.

May 21, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
Rockbox it and play FLAC's. Make sure you pair the RB'd ipod with decent phones.

That's my suggestions if you have not done it.

I have already done that. With my Senn IE80 it sounds pretty good, but there's a noticeable hiss at all times. With my Senn HD280pro it sounds really underwhelming, weak.

I was hoping for other's thoughts though..i guess nobody here has this ipod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back