ipod LODs + USB charge???
Apr 2, 2008 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

el_matt0

1000+ Head-Fier
ive seen quite a few line out docks that have a mini USB input as well as a 1/8 jack wired out of them, allowing you to charge the ipod via something like a motorola phone charger while simultaneously using the LOD to an amp or w/e. ive built a number of standard LOD's before, but am wondering about potentially building one with a USB like that. do you just need to order up a USB miniconnector and wire it in the right way (if so, whereabouts would one order a USB jack like that which could fit, and where can i find info on the wiring scheme for it). Or is there a company that simply sells the LOD parts with the USB already incorporated? So far the place I've done my LOD part ordering from is Qables in the UK, I know they have the large plastic size dock connectors that I believe can incorporate the USB if modded correctly, but is that the standard route to go?

Apr 2, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #6 of 8
I've done it a few times, and every time, I just snipped off the end of one of the myriad of USB transfer cords that were lying around my house. Punnisher's got you covered with the links. My experience has been that the charging noise gets amplified annoyingly loud unless your gain is small. I can't detect it with my Mini^3 which has a gain of 2, and it's pretty annoying in my Millett MAX with a gain of 7. YMMV, so maybe you can let us know how it works out for you.

Apr 2, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #7 of 8
My Mini^3 has gain 5
redface.gif

Apr 5, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a head-fier named StevenKelby used to make them but apparently he doesn't like to anymore for some reason. Anyway, he may be able to give you some tips if you contact him

I still do them. Pm if interested or just want help/info.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back