iPod LOD w/USB or power.
Jan 4, 2009 at 3:14 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you just need the usb power pins and then short 11 to ground for accessory enable

Wrong. From ipod pinouts:

USB Data (+)
Pins 25 and 27 may be used in different manner. To force the iPod 5G to charge in any case, when "USB Power 5 VDC" (pin 23) is fed, 25 must be connected to 5V through a 10kOhm resistor, and 27 must be connected to the Ground (for example: pin 1) with a 10kOhm resistor.

To charge an iPhone 3G / iPod Touch 2nd gen, usb data- (25) should be at 2.8v, usb data+(27) should be at 2.0v. This can be done with a few simple resistors: 33k to +5v (23) and 22k to gnd(16) to obtain 2v and 33k to +5v and 47k to gnd to obtain 2.8v. This is a "notification" to the iphone that it is connected to the external charger and may drain amps from the usb.

Jan 5, 2009 at 7:55 AM Post #17 of 21
sorry mate, but it is NOT wrong. just because ipod pinouts says something different (which will work too) doesnt mean that there isnt a simpler solution. there is no need for any resistors AT ALL. to make a charge only LOD you just need to have your normal ground (any of them will be fine but I tend to use 29 so its out of the way. then of course 3.4 for your audio. then you just need pin 16 = usb ground (or -); which goes to pin 4 on a mini usb port; and pin 23 which is usb power + and that goes to pin 1 on a mini usb port (at least this is using the ports I have. thats all for an ipod but for iphone you also need to short pin 11 (serial ground) to ground to enable the accessory. no need for all that stuff about resistors; not in my experience anyway. YMMV but I dont think so. for syncing you also have to have dock pin 25 (data -) connected to usb pin 2 and dock pin 27 (data +) connected to usb pin 3. thats all there is to it batteries will only take what they need and there wont be more than 5v fed through usb anyway. maybe its not the most tech solution, but it works and why go to all that extra trouble if you dont need to, this info is gathered from chopping open ALO chargers (stevenkelby did it) whereas i'm sure those instructions you have are gathered from opening up an apple charger/dock so they have made it more complicated than it needs to be IMO. especially if space is at a premium. and oh captain; please dont say that i'm wrong based solely on somebody elses information; try it yourself and if it doesnt work THEN you can say I made a mistake; but until then.......

Jan 5, 2009 at 11:20 AM Post #18 of 21
Actually you're still wrong, but with USB not the ipod part. pin 4 on a mini USB connector isn't in use (some devices liek the nokia n800 short it to enable various ****), pin 5 instead correpsonds to pin 4 on normal USB.

If the ipod part is as easy as shorting pin 11, that is very nice and will make it much easier to make a charging cable for myself.

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Ødegård /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually you're still wrong, but with USB not the ipod part. pin 4 on a mini USB connector isn't in use (some devices liek the nokia n800 short it to enable various ****), pin 5 instead correpsonds to pin 4 on normal USB.

If the ipod part is as easy as shorting pin 11, that is very nice and will make it much easier to make a charging cable for myself.

OK so I remembered details wrong OK?? but only because the document I go off when doing this (which i've only done twice) calls it pin 4 because I guess steve numbered the pins that are in use or the ones that correlate to a regular 4 pin socket. you are right pin 4 is not used but instead sometimes connected to ground. but out of the pins that are used the pin 4 (pin 5) is USB ground on a standard mini USB. I just tried to upload the file I use, but it exceeds the size for the .doc filetype. if you would like a copy; PM me your email address and i'll send it to you. it has pics and all
wink.gif
and it does work trust me.

Jan 21, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you are NOT going to be able to make that work. I make those slim LOD's all the time and there is no way you will fit a mini usb in it.... no way. there's only just enough room for the wire. plus with that the cable comes out the side and therefor would need to go passed where the usb power/sync pins are. sorry but I dont thing thats gonna work. not IMO anyway. i've been able to fit caps inside one for use with my DIYMOD but those still use the same pins so there's no extra pins to get in the way of the wires

edit: I see now that you arent going to be putting the mini usb in the dock connector; but instead in another dock. ok that could work. tricky but it could work. and actualy you dont need all the wires connected. you just need the usb power pins and then short 11 to ground for accessory enable

Exactly. I'm hardwiring the power pins to the *back* of the accessory outlet.
smily_headphones1.gif
I could wire it straight to the fuse box, but that is a lot more work.

If you could make something like this for me, PM me. I'd consider paying you to make one and send it to me! Thanks for the help!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moocher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a Kensington LiquidAux to have both charging and line out in my car for past and present iPod generations. Works great.

Amazon.com: Kensington LiquidAUX Auxiliary Car Kit with Remote for iPod; iPhone 1G, 3G: Electronics

Mooch

Thans Mooch. I've seen this before. Looks handy. I will keep it in mind, thank you.
smily_headphones1.gif

And to everyone suggesting the PocketDock, it's because you haven't read any of my posts!!!
smily_headphones1.gif
It's too big!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back