iPod LOD w/USB or power.
Jan 3, 2009 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

NawdaKh

New Head-Fier
Yes, I know there are a few threads on this. Yes, I have done my research. I have searched and searched for what I am looking for.

Basically, I need what I said, but someone much thinner than what I have found.

I need an iPod Line Out Dock connector with USB, but can't find it in very thin forms. I'm using it to make a dock for my car, but there is limited space where this is being mounted and something long sticking out the bottom is out of the question.

In fact, it doesn't even need to be USB. The purpose is just to charge it in my car.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention, I own a second generation iPod touch, so a lot of the older dock connectors will not work.
Any suggestions?

Jan 3, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #3 of 21
I forgot to mention I have a 2nd Generation iPod touch. I have owned a Sik imp cable for several years and it will not work for my touch.
frown.gif

Jan 3, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #5 of 21
I'll try and find it. I don't care what kind of connector it has, I just need it to power it, so I'm going to end up cutting it anyway. Hehe.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 3, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #6 of 21
Why not DIY your own connector? The 30-pin male connector plugs are plentiful on the internet, and the pinout of the Touch's dock connector is well-known.

For your intended purpose, I think building your own connector is a lot better than modifying an existing one.

Jan 3, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #7 of 21
Okay. I can do that. I'm going to need the assistance of some experienced Head-Fiers though.

I only know one site where those connectors are plentiful... but its the wiring that I don't know and will need help with.

http://www.chargeconverter.com/

EDIT:

After further research and suggested by Mark2410, I found this...

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.19147

That would work, but I do need the dock connecter to be shorter. I'm wondering if its easier to make from scratch or to purchase this and modify it.

I'm trying to find more info on making one from scratch right now.

Thanks for the immediate response and help guys.

Jan 4, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #9 of 21
That would work!

Thanks for the response. I didn't know anything like that USB thing existed. That opens up my option to use a lot of the older stuff.

Only problem with that cable is... no line out.
frown.gif

You guys have already opened up a bunch of options for me. I appreciate that. I'm going to keep looking, I still haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. There was a DIY I found a while back that I'm going to try and find. I liked it because it had a super slim connector at the bottom. The only difference is I would need to add a charge to it.

EDIT:

Still, the pocket dock is the perfect device, but I don't think I'm going to be able to make it work unless I can somehow make it shorter in length or modify it to go straight into a cable, not a connector.

I'm going to try and find a picture of the inside of my car to kinda show you guys what I'm doin here.

EDIT 2:

Here's what I mean!!!

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/how...-cable-316475/

This is what I need to do, but with a power connection. I'm going to be wiring it straight to my car outlet.

I'm sorry I'm such a noob about this guys... can anyone point me in the right direction on how to do this?

Once I can do that, I'm going to mount the LOD to the adapter that comes with the iPod and make a dock from it.

Jan 4, 2009 at 9:45 AM Post #11 of 21
Prob too big for him

I've made several LODs using the small connectors so its definitely doable, but you do require some soldering skill as the soldering points are very small. For the USB adapter at boxwave to work, you need all 4 USB wires connected, so thats 7 wires you need inside that thing.

Jan 4, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by NawdaKh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would work!

Thanks for the response. I didn't know anything like that USB thing existed. That opens up my option to use a lot of the older stuff.

Only problem with that cable is... no line out.
frown.gif

You guys have already opened up a bunch of options for me. I appreciate that. I'm going to keep looking, I still haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. There was a DIY I found a while back that I'm going to try and find. I liked it because it had a super slim connector at the bottom. The only difference is I would need to add a charge to it.

EDIT:

Still, the pocket dock is the perfect device, but I don't think I'm going to be able to make it work unless I can somehow make it shorter in length or modify it to go straight into a cable, not a connector.

I'm going to try and find a picture of the inside of my car to kinda show you guys what I'm doin here.

EDIT 2:

Here's what I mean!!!

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/how...-cable-316475/

This is what I need to do, but with a power connection. I'm going to be wiring it straight to my car outlet.

I'm sorry I'm such a noob about this guys... can anyone point me in the right direction on how to do this?

Once I can do that, I'm going to mount the LOD to the adapter that comes with the iPod and make a dock from it.

you are NOT going to be able to make that work. I make those slim LOD's all the time and there is no way you will fit a mini usb in it.... no way. there's only just enough room for the wire. plus with that the cable comes out the side and therefor would need to go passed where the usb power/sync pins are. sorry but I dont thing thats gonna work. not IMO anyway. i've been able to fit caps inside one for use with my DIYMOD but those still use the same pins so there's no extra pins to get in the way of the wires

edit: I see now that you arent going to be putting the mini usb in the dock connector; but instead in another dock. ok that could work. tricky but it could work. and actualy you dont need all the wires connected. you just need the usb power pins and then short 11 to ground for accessory enable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back