Ipod Line-out...which one will be better?PocketDock or SikDin?
Nov 17, 2004 at 11:29 PM Post #16 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipoddy
This skin will solve the problem of using it with the PD.
http://www.ipodxtras.com/catalog/pro...products_id=51

Jim

Hmmm, that's a reasonable solution to the docking cradle access problem, but not IMO suitable for long-term usage, as the bottom portion of the Pod would remain unprotected.

Nov 17, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #17 of 45
Have any of you removed the FireWire portion of the cable?

Nov 18, 2004 at 12:04 AM Post #18 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
Have any of you removed the FireWire portion of the cable?

Good question-I'm thinking about getting a mini and i want to amp it using my Go-Vibe but i hate the idea of having a useless (to me) cable to deal with-much prefer the look\idea of the PocketDock...
confused.gif

Nov 18, 2004 at 2:13 AM Post #20 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson
Hmmm, that's a reasonable solution to the docking cradle access problem, but not IMO suitable for long-term usage, as the bottom portion of the Pod would remain unprotected.

Look again. Once the iPod has been removed from the PD, the skin flap goes back into place and fully covers the bottom.

Jim

Nov 18, 2004 at 2:18 AM Post #21 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipoddy
Look again. Once the iPod has been removed from the PD, the skin flap goes back into place and fully covers the bottom.

Jim

No I got that. I'm thinking of a situatoin where you have your Pod, PD and amp perpetually together in a bag as a system (thus the 'long-term' moniker). Sorry if I wasn't clear...

Nov 18, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #22 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oink1
Does this advice apply to the mini too?
confused.gif

I have this setup: 320KAAC=>iPod Mini=>Pocketdock=>Earcandy mini-to-mini=>Emmeline SR-71=>Sensaphonics 2X-s.

A few points to consider:
------------------------
1. The Vaja iVolution for the iPod mini works with the pocketdock. I use the Vaja iVolution (provincial blue) in the above setup.
2. The pocketdock has no sound issues with the iPod mini. But then again, iPod minis do not have the dreaded iPod audio defect to begin with.
3. The pocketdock allows you to use the cable of your choice, at the length of your choice. Mine is a 9" Earcandy mini-to-mini with right angle connectors.
4. The pocketdock has a friction lock (as opposed to the push-type lock like Apple's). I have no problems with the pocketdock coming loose in my setup.
5. Less cable clutter with the pocketdock (i.e., more compact and clean setup). For example, to connect my iPod mini to my home system, I just unplug the Earcandy and connect the RCA-to-mini from the CD player/aux-in of receiver to the pocketdock.

Nov 18, 2004 at 9:18 AM Post #23 of 45
Quote:

No I got that. I'm thinking of a situatoin where you have your Pod, PD and amp perpetually together in a bag as a system (thus the 'long-term' moniker). Sorry if I wasn't clear...

I'm still not sure I understand. But I think you don't like the exposure the bottom of the iPod has when you when you use the iPod, amp, and PD together while using it portiably (on the go). Thus by doing so you risk damaging the bottom input due to regular wear-n-tear.

If that is what your saying, I agree, I don't think I would risk using the line out on the go at all. Due to the line out not being a regular plug in (like the headphone jack) it's more limited to stationary use.

Jim

Nov 18, 2004 at 9:33 AM Post #24 of 45
Quote:

I completely agree and that's the big predicament I am in. I think the ONLY way to go for iPod protection are the skins. I have an iSkin right now and think it's perfect except for the fact that the PD does not fit in the port opening. If I want to use the PD, I have to get the only other available skin which has an exposed flap at the bottom. I don't like the idea of having such a large opening and repeatedly opening and closing it. Eventuallly it'll just break off. In the very least, the skin will never be tight like a glove because of the constant opening and closing.

Nov 18, 2004 at 9:44 AM Post #25 of 45
Whoa... so you can somehow use the line-out without the actual dock? Does this mean I can say goodbye to my Nomad Jukebox 3 or what? I just didn't want to bother using an amp through the headphone jack.

Maybe I'm reading this all wrong.

Nov 18, 2004 at 11:31 AM Post #26 of 45
Nov 18, 2004 at 12:43 PM Post #27 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by PATB
2. The pocketdock has no sound issues with the iPod mini. But then again, iPod minis do not have the dreaded iPod audio defect to begin with.

Didn't the minis have an audio issue early on (that was fixed in firmware?) ?

Nov 18, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #28 of 45
Quote:

Unreal. I can't believe it, heh. That's the only reason I haven't bought a smaller player! Well, I guess cost is an issue too but at least now I know there's something I can blow my money on, right?!

Anyone know how the sound compares between the NJB3 line-out and the portaline-outs?

Nov 18, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #29 of 45
sorry, never have compared it to those players, but the line out option for the ipod is a really great add on that apple missed out on - other than sticking one on its dock lol.

i don't even use the dock anymore, since the cable that docks to the dock is something you can just plug right into the ipod and bypass the dock - that way you never have to take your skin off the ipod since the dock rejects all but a nekkid ipod.

Nov 18, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #30 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
Didn't the minis have an audio issue early on (that was fixed in firmware?) ?

I heard the very early ones had a problem with the headphone jack. Not quite sure about what actually happened there with the early models. New minis don't have any audio problems (can't say the same for the 4G). I just bought one for my son, and it works as good as mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back