Ipod Line-out...which one will be better?PocketDock or SikDin?
Nov 17, 2004 at 9:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

rookiest

New Head-Fier
Since i use portable amp+ER4s, i need a line-out jack on my 4gen Ipod.

1.With a line out jack, BTW, will it have much better sound quallity?

2. and next, between PocketDock+Nice cable(like Ted'sEarcandy) or SikDin+nice cable?

Nov 17, 2004 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 45
I have used both types of line out and prefer the Sik only because it has a narrower/slimmer profile and can be used even while my iPod is in its Vaja case. The Pocket Dock is too big to be used while the Pod is in its case. Also, the Pocket Dock does not "lock" into the outlet, whereas the Sik does lock (ie, requires you to push on both sides of plug to remove it, same as Apple mechanism). This might be an issue if your Pod moves around a lot in its bag.

Nov 17, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #4 of 45
Also, the PD depends and drags about from the lower torso of your iPod, creating the illusion of a buttress (no pun intended, churls) and otherwise worrying the tokhes of your precious music nipples. If I were you, I'd procure a Sik Din immediate mot.

Nov 17, 2004 at 5:43 PM Post #5 of 45
Perhaps the only reason that I like the Pocketdock is that I practically never use the iPod amped
biggrin.gif
It works fine, but I have not used it in a portable/amped situation to be aware of practical problems. I don't think the lock/unlock issue is relevant and in many ways I would prefer something which doesn't stay latched to the iPod if overstressed.

The thing is though that a connector such as the Din/PD is usually subject to non-axial loads (i.e. sideways than vertical loads) in a portable situation as far as I cam infer, and in that case the thicker 'seating area' of the Pocketdock would have an advantage in terms of spreading of the non-axial load.

Nov 17, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 45
Sound wise, the SIK should be the same as the PD. I have a SIK IMP and cannot tell a difference.

If your using the PD, it gives you easier access to the iPod since it sets up vertically.

Jim

Nov 17, 2004 at 8:33 PM Post #7 of 45
I hate the way the Sik Din looks but apparently it's the only one that is small enough to work with most cases. I have an iSkin and the PD does not fit it at all. According to Vaja's UK distributor, the PD oes not work with their cases either.

Nov 17, 2004 at 8:38 PM Post #8 of 45
even just walking around, the PD kept popping out. annoying. the sik din keeps that thing locked in there - crucial.

plus, the xin right angle mini adapter is key for this sik din. from the sik din to the amp = least amount of wire possible is a good thing, since the sik din's dongle is already adding some wire to the equation.

oh and since you have a 4G, better play it safe. PD can magnify the audio hard drive whine thing if yours has that defect - the Sik din does not.

Nov 17, 2004 at 9:30 PM Post #9 of 45
Good advice, Jahn! I just ordered a Sik Din today... looks like the next purchase is Xin's mini connector.

Nov 17, 2004 at 9:35 PM Post #10 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson
Good advice, Jahn! I just ordered a Sik Din today... looks like the next purchase is Xin's mini connector.

grats! i actually bought that combo twice - once for me, and once for my friend who got a vaja case and no longer could use a PD. he seems pretty happy with the combo too, so that's at least two folks that vouch for it!

Nov 17, 2004 at 9:43 PM Post #11 of 45
I now have Sik Din and Xin right-angle adapter. Only thing missing is the darn SuperMacro.

I was worried at first that Sik's extension cable might degrade the sound, but having played 4g iPod-->Sik Din-->DIY mini-RCA adapter-->Main speaker system, I can now say iPod+Sik Din is a fantastic sounding combo, so why fix it if it ain't broke.

Also, one can use a firewire cable bet. Sik Din and Apple wall-wart to power the iPod while it's hooked up to the speaker system.

Nov 17, 2004 at 10:50 PM Post #13 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by sygyzy
I have an iSkin and the PD does not fit it at all. According to Vaja's UK distributor, the PD oes not work with their cases either.

This skin will solve the problem of using it with the PD.
http://www.ipodxtras.com/catalog/pro...products_id=51

Jim

Nov 17, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
plus, the xin right angle mini adapter is key for this sik din. from the sik din to the amp = least amount of wire possible is a good thing, since the sik din's dongle is already adding some wire to the equation.

Ugh. I wish people would stop mentioning the Xin connector.

Why? 'Cuz I ain't got one. And I ain't got the cabbage for one, either!

(Yeah, all you folks who feel pathetic 'cuz you can't afford R10s, try living like a student for a while!)

</whine>

Nov 17, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #15 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson

What surprises me is that, given Xin's great prices for amps, the connector costs $20. I would have thought it cost more like $10. Then again, w/ student discount...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back