iPod-like AKG K-701 is going to disappoint many.
Oct 21, 2005 at 11:35 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel
If youre going to pay $400+ for a set of cans, you want metal as oppossed to plastic.

Um... So that rules out HD650s and high end Grados at least. No SA5k. ATs... Lots of plastic and wood. CD3000?
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Whats with all the junior members jumping in and ragging on stuff ... lately?

I don't recall post count or registration seniority being a measure of intelligence. (Not to suggest anyone is or isn't being stupid, but it really has nothing to do with "junior" status or otherwise.)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emon
The HD600 and HD650 are supposedly made of carbon fiber

Definitely not. Has been discussed here many times.

jesse

Oct 21, 2005 at 11:44 PM Post #17 of 31
The thread starter is totally right. I personally don't think they are that bad, but many people complained (ironically including kramer5150
wink.gif
) about their looks in the first AKG K701 impressions thread where the first real life photos were posted. People specifically said the words "iPod" and "toilet" in that thread.

I've owned the PortaPros before. It only gets better in the looks department after that.
cool.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 11:47 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Whats with all the junior members jumping in and ragging on stuff ... lately?

I don't recall this many junior members being so bold and kicking things off with such controvertial (SP?) topics like this.

Brave batch of noobs I say!!

You had a pair in person and didn't demo them!!!???
eek.gif
eek.gif

Garrett

You're kidding, right?
rolleyes.gif

WrightAnswer, if it hasn't been said before, let me be the first: Welcome to Head-Fi. I think we still value a diversity of opinion.
tongue.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 11:54 PM Post #19 of 31
If people really are gettting ready to ditch their current high-ends for a phone they never heard, or isn't even out yet, then they've got hype-itis. A condition that can easily lead into FOTM Disorder.

I do agree the thread starter's post was a bit weird. Yes, there are a few members who hold aesthetics to a high extent, but most of them hang out in the portable audio forum.
tongue.gif
Still, strange topic nonetheless. I don't think people are attacking his opinion necessarily, just the wording and the fact that it's his first post is unusual. Especially when it consists ragging on a phone for whatever partially-idiotic reason.

Oct 22, 2005 at 12:31 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
If people really are gettting ready to ditch their current high-ends for a phone they never heard, or isn't even out yet, then they've got hype-itis. A condition that can easily lead into FOTM Disorder.

Thanks to 30 day refund policies, there is little risk in going to buy these sound unheard. *somebody* has to get them first. I don't think anybody is itching to dump their current phones yet. I am looking for a replacement for my SR225's, and if not these AKG's, then it might be the HD6XX that I've delayed.

Oct 22, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
Thanks to 30 day refund policies, there is little risk in going to buy these sound unheard. *somebody* has to get them first. I don't think anybody is itching to dump their current phones yet. I am looking for a replacement for my SR225's, and if not these AKG's, then it might be the HD6XX that I've delayed.

I was referrring to this part of the wright's post:

Quote:

I've read of Sennheiser HD650 owners putting their phones up for sale in readiness to buy the (unheard) K-701.

Oct 22, 2005 at 12:38 AM Post #22 of 31
Rats, when I read this-

"iPod-like AKG K-701 is going to disappoint many. "

I thought you were going to comment on the kids who ask their rich parents to buy this can, plug it directly into an ipod, listen to the crappy sound, sell it on eBay for a bag of Mary Jane, and I pick it up for 2 cents, plug it into a proper amp, and bliss out.
k1000smile.gif

Oct 22, 2005 at 2:21 AM Post #23 of 31
wa@e, thanks for the fair warning. I don't see anything wrong with giving people a heads-up, since you have actually seen the phones. Fortunately I am fashion-blind, so as long as they fit my head and don't itch or crawl off my noggin my aesthetic needs are met. I can't wait to hear them.

Sort of tangential to topic, could these be driven with an ipod? A super-easy-to-drive can from AKG would give me some concern.

Also, anybody know if they have a conventional dynamic driver? I keep waiting for the next step from the ancient (by electroevolutionary standards) K1000 driver.

gerG

Oct 22, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
The thread starter is totally right. I personally don't think they are that bad, but many people complained (ironically including kramer5150
wink.gif
) about their looks in the first AKG K701 impressions thread where the first real life photos were posted. People specifically said the words "iPod" and "toilet" in that thread.

I've owned the PortaPros before. It only gets better in the looks department after that.
cool.gif

Yeah... I do, still think they look like toilet porcelain. But in the end its all about the sound
biggrin.gif

Garrett

Oct 22, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #25 of 31
I should start a [useless] thread, the title would be:
I bought the K701's because they look great...and I am never going to listen to them.

In the post I will explain that the white plastic, the metal arches and the brown leather make me feel like royalty. And as such I am going to pick up a bright purple cape and strut around with a lance...or whatever those 'highclass' sticks are called. I will even explain that I will 'mod' the K701's to be even better for my use by cutting off the wire. Since I will never listen to them, but only wear them while looking at myself in the mirror and possibly listen to other people's voices through their open design. Hell I might even remove the drivers so as to hear the world better through them.

On a serious note I might just pick up some K601's. More in my price range, they 'sound' like they are going to sound great, and hell they do look sweet, visually.
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #26 of 31
One question....

Why is everyone automatically assuming that these headphones are specifically made towards the iPod when they're white?

It just seems a little strange to me....

Oct 22, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #27 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneMafia
One question....

Why is everyone automatically assuming that these headphones are specifically made towards the iPod when they're white?

It just seems a little strange to me....

Being white just adds to the suitability thing: overgrown Ipod buds
tongue.gif

But seriously speaking, it seems the K701 has lower impedance and higher sensitivity than the K601. Despite the prices, from what I understand it seems the K701 could possibly be more suitable for lesser amplification. Now I'm feeling interested in comparisons not just between K701 and HD650, but K701, K601, and HD650.

Oct 22, 2005 at 3:48 AM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneMafia
One question....

because... ipods are... white?
wink.gif

Oct 22, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
because... ipods are... white?
wink.gif

Your logic confuses me.

Oct 22, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Your logic confuses me.

ipods (at least till recently) were the only mp3 players that came in white. in fact, their white colour was at least part of their novelty factor when they came out.

and to link that to the question at hand: before the first ipod came out, how many white ear/headphones were there?

ah, thought so.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back