iPod-like AKG K-701 is going to disappoint many.
Oct 21, 2005 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

wrightanswer@ear

Head-Fier
I've not heard the AKG K-701 yet. It might sound fantastic.
But I've seen an actual pair (in Europe) and, having previously seen photos that make this headphone look so exciting, I can only say I was very disappointed with the cosmetics of the K-701.
Actually, the cheaper and far more dignified-looking K-601 looks better.
The main problem is the cheap and plasticky white finish. Way too bright and garish and desperately trying to grab some iPod-style limelight. I think the 701 looks extraordinarily flashy and rather toy-like. I get the feeling that AKG is trying to be too clever here – producing the ultimate iPod headset might be very laudable and will guarantee plenty of exposure in Apple Stores and computer mags, but these headphones are also aimed at audiophiles and are going to look very out-of-place in most people's traditional audio systems. If you want to sit them down next to your iPod and laptop you'll be happy enough and they'll certainly look part of that particular scenery.
But anyone who has a typically rugged-looking high-end sound system will surely think these over-styled, trying-too-hard-to-be-noticed white plastic phones look way too fancy to be taken seriously.
Yes, the K-701 throws in a piece of well-machined metal here and there, but the overall impression isn't one of strength. Compared to (say) the Sennheiser HD650, or even the upper-range Grados, it looks like a toy. The HD650 is largely plastic too, but the styling is altogether more solid and professional-looking and inspires more confidence.
Before I saw the real thing, I was as excited by the K-701 as anyone else. The photos give the impression that there's lots of metal and solidity to these phones. But now I suggest it might be a good idea for potential buyers to see and handle (and yes, even hear!) the real thing before they place orders based on some heavily retouched photos and wishful thinking alone.

Oct 21, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrightanswer@ear
I've not heard the AKG K-701 yet. It might sound fantastic.
But I've seen an actual pair (in Europe) and, having previously seen photos that make this headphone look so exciting, I can only say I was very disappointed with the cosmetics of the K-701.
Actually, the cheaper and far more dignified-looking K-601 looks better.
The main problem is the cheap and plasticky white finish. Way too bright and garish and desperately trying to grab some iPod-style limelight. I think the 701 looks extraordinarily flashy and rather toy-like. I get the feeling that AKG is trying to be too clever here – producing the ultimate iPod headset might be very laudable and will guarantee plenty of exposure in Apple Stores and computer mags, but these headphones are also aimed at audiophiles and are going to look very out-of-place in most people's traditional audio systems. If you want to sit them down next to your iPod and laptop you'll be happy enough and they'll certainly look part of that particular scenery.
But anyone who has a typically rugged-looking high-end sound system will surely think these over-styled, trying-too-hard-to-be-noticed white plastic phones look way too fancy to be taken seriously.
Yes, the K-701 throws in a piece of well-machined metal here and there, but the overall impression isn't one of strength. Compared to (say) the Sennheiser HD650, or even the upper-range Grados, it looks like a toy. The HD650 is largely plastic too, but the styling is altogether more solid and professional-looking and inspires more confidence.
Before I saw the real thing, I was as excited by the K-701 as anyone else. The photos give the impression that there's lots of metal and solidity to these phones. But now I suggest it might be a good idea for potential buyers to see and handle (and yes, even hear!) the real thing before they place orders based on some heavily retouched photos and wishful thinking alone.

Isn't the point of headphones to sound good. I personally don't look at my headphones when I have them on. I mean it is nice to have nice looking headphones, but honestly who cares. If the midrange sounds like the 501's and it has good bass and highs I am going to get a some.

Oct 21, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 31
If somebody is buying the headphones for looks alone... there are problems. While design wise, from the pictures, I think they look potentially interesting I'm not purchasing them solely because of that. Personally I could rather care less about the color. I don't plan on going outside with them on, and I can't see them on my head anyhow. Ultimately the major concern when buying a headphone should be the sound quality. If it sounds great and is built so it wont fall apart - who honestly cares what it looks like on your head.

Oct 21, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #5 of 31
I think the point here is build quality not aesthetics/cosmetics. If youre going to pay $400+ for a set of cans, you want metal as oppossed to plastic. Yes, performance is paramount, but make a good housing for the product while youre at it.

Oct 21, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #7 of 31
Just curious, WrightAnswer, but what do you think of the W2002? I always thought mine were beautiful but a little too delicate for everyday use. In the end this was reason I sold them.

Oct 21, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #9 of 31
Whats with all the junior members jumping in and ragging on stuff ... lately?

I don't recall this many junior members being so bold and kicking things off with such controvertial (SP?) topics like this.

Brave batch of noobs I say!!

You had a pair in person and didn't demo them!!!???
eek.gif
eek.gif

Garrett

Oct 21, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150

You had a pair in person and didn't demo them!!!???
eek.gif
eek.gif

Garrett

eek.gif

Oct 21, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrightanswer@ear
The HD650 is largely plastic too

The HD600 and HD650 are supposedly made of carbon fiber, but if not, remember that there is nothing wrong with plastics. High strength plastics are just that...high strength. There's a reason why they are used so extensively by the aerospace industry and every branch of the military. In the case of the K 701, we're not talking some cheap ABS plastic here, it'll probably be good stuff. It doesn't even have to be plastic to look like plastic. I can get a shiney iPod plastic finish with average quality spray paint and some free time.

Oct 21, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #12 of 31
People seem to miss the point. Of course I agree that the only thing that is of real mportance is how the headphones sound. But I've been amazed at how many posts I've read (here and elsewhere) from people begging for information on how to buy these headphones as soon as possible, based solely on photographs they've seen. I've read of Sennheiser HD650 owners putting their phones up for sale in readiness to buy the (unheard) K-701.
I'm just warning those people who attach a lot of importance to looks that, having seen a pair in the flesh, the photos are rather flattering in my opinion.

Oct 21, 2005 at 11:13 PM Post #13 of 31
The important things are:
- sound.
- build quality/fit and finish -> Does it break, creak or flex when you put it on your head?

So far, there is nothing that you wrote to indicate that it fails on the above two counts.

You are predicting that a lot of people are going to be disappointed. Isn't that a bit presumptuous?

And I have to agree, why the heck did you not listen to it?

Quote:

But I've been amazed at how many posts I've read (here and elsewhere) from people begging for information on how to buy these headphones as soon as possible, based solely on photographs they've seen

Another presumption. I want to buy it because not only does it look good, but AKG is putting this as their new top of the line (discontinuing the K1000), and incorporates some nifty technology (flat wire VC), and it will have punchy bass (the weakness of the K501's)

Oct 21, 2005 at 11:17 PM Post #14 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver

And I have to agree, why the heck did you not listen to it?

Quote:

They were fastened down and not connected.

Anyways, as long as it sounds good I dont care too much about the color. But if a headphone police existed I might have to hide them
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back