iPOD in the car, suggestions?
May 29, 2007 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

lmilhan

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking for some suggestions please!

I bought my wife an iPOD nano as a graduation gift, and she loves it (her first iPOD).

She told be she would like the ability of listening to it in her Van (Dodge Caravan). She has an aftermarket Rockford Fosgate CD player, and it doesn't appear to have any auxiliary inputs (BAH).

So what are my options? Anyone have any ideas?

From what I understand, the wireless FM transmitters are garbage. Is that true? If not, then can anyone suggest a wireless transmitter that is any good?

Do any other 'iPOD to Car Stereo' interface solutions exist that won't break the bank?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

May 29, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #2 of 15
I was looking at something similar to this at Best Buy. It was about $80 plus installation there. No good for me because I have an iMod, but the ability to charge and have full control of the iPod through either the car stereo or the iPod is appealing.

http://www.carplayer.com/

May 29, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 15
if you happen to have a tape deck in the car then that would be the easiest way.

thats what i use, my car stereo blows chunks so loss of a little quality doesn't matter

May 29, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 15
I have been wondering the same thing myself....any FM modulators that are worth anything? I have tried a belkin and a no name and they both sucked. I have been entertaining the idea of going aftermarket player but am wondering if a USB or AUX. port are the way to go....any car-fi people in here?

May 29, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #5 of 15
I own a Monster Cable FM transmitter that I use in my car in a relatively small town, and I still find the levels of interference with it on ANY channel I choose to be irritating. I imagine these things are practically useless in large cities where most or all available frequencies are taken up.

I will likely buy a replacement head unit for my car that has a USB input, as that is the only way I can think of to eliminate the interference issue. Luckily, through Crutchfield I have found some units that are around 150 USD, which is not bad IMO.

May 29, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #8 of 15
I've used an FM transmitter for a CD player and it worked well. In my current vichiele i have a Sony AM/FM single CD player that has an Aux jack for an MP3 player The radio was only $100. It may be worth to just spring for a new radio. Check the Crutchfield website for Ideas.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-c1cfTDJcebX/

May 29, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 15
In our van, and in the SF area in general, the FM transmitters were worthless and the casette deal worked for awhile but was so noisy that it drove us crazy. Eventually, we did the installed hardwired deal through a car stereo place. It was $250 or so 18 months ago but now the iPod plugs in to the line out with a cord that pulls out of the bin under the ash tray and we got the cord long enough to pull all the way to the back seat in case the kids want to play with the iPod directly. It is always charging, you can select it by choosing disc changer on the stereo, you can advance songs, pause, stop, play, and obviously control volume through the regular CD controls on the car stereo or you can use the iPod itself. Money well spent for us. Good luck!

May 30, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-JgZQkky...0&I=142FMMOD01

Wired FM modulators are really the cheapest way to do it with reasonable quality.

So far this would appear to be my best (and most affordable) option. I didn't realize that they made a wired FM interface. I don't need it to sound as good as CD quality (the van stereo/speakers are very low-fi and my wife isn't really into high-end audio), I just didn't want any static or drop outs that tend to occur with the wireless FM transmitters.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

May 30, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #12 of 15
I got an auxilliary input adapter from Crutchfield. If you have an unused line out for a cd changer than they work great! I have a jeep and didn't have the cd changer, it plugged right in and I use the mode switch on the factory stereo to switch to the line out. I have two inputs, one for my satellite radio, the other for the line out for my zune, or ipod.

I have tried the Belkin and another no name fm transmitter and they both sucked. There were very few quiet fm channels in my area and the sound quality was poor.

May 30, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
She told be she would like the ability of listening to it in her Van (Dodge Caravan). She has an aftermarket Rockford Fosgate CD player, and it doesn't appear to have any auxiliary inputs (BAH).
Thanks!

Some Fosgate units have rca inputs in the rear. Check to see if your unit is one of those, if yes get a mini to RCA and you are set. Good luck.

May 30, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #14 of 15
Alpine CDE-9881

May 30, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some Fosgate units have rca inputs in the rear. Check to see if your unit is one of those, if yes get a mini to RCA and you are set. Good luck.

Actually that is one of the first things I checked. According to the owner's manual, the model she has doesn't have any auxiliary inputs at all, but the model just a step above hers does. Nor does her model have a CD changer interface plug. Dangit!
frown.gif

But thanks for the advice. I appreciate everyone's help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back