iPod in the car: recommendations on FM transmitters
Apr 26, 2007 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12
Even though this is a headphone site, I figure I'd pick the collective's brains with this one...

Do any of you use iPod FM transmitter units in your vehicles? I love everything I've got on my iPod, but I don't want to wear headphones in the car. Can anyone recommend a good FM transmitter? I don't want to replace the stereo just yet.

I attempted to use the DLO TransPod, but it stopped working after my initial use. The arm on it (as it plugs into the cigarette outlet) was also a bit awkward to use.

Any recommendations would rock.

Apr 27, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 12
If you have to go the FM route then...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4694330
Scosche IPTRNSX Wireless FM Transmitter - Wal-Mart

The ONLY decent FM transmitter I have ever used. Comes with two cables, one for the iPod line out (charges too!), and one for a normal 1/8" jack. I've used most of the Belkin transmitters, and various other iPod ones, but the IPTRNSX is the best i've used.

Apr 27, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 12
I'm with no1likesme.

I posted this on another site...

I wanted to put a budget setup in my older accord and this is what I came up with.

I went with this...

+

Bought from sonicelectronix.com for a little over $100. It comes with the installation kit as well.

Apr 27, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by no1likesme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would buy a cheap head unit with an aux in. I have had a few fm transmitters and they all sound really bad. It usually is worse than normal fm.

I'm with you. FM transmitters are really terrible...I mean really terrible.. sound quality wise. You're much better going the aux route. I had mine done at a local car audio place for $20 or so. Good luck!

Mish

Apr 27, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #8 of 12
Lol! Yeah. If you can use the tape adapter. I tried using the FM because it was wireless and convenient, but sound sucked! Look for other options.

Jun 10, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even though this is a headphone site, I figure I'd pick the collective's brains with this one...

Do any of you use iPod FM transmitter units in your vehicles? I love everything I've got on my iPod, but I don't want to wear headphones in the car. Can anyone recommend a good FM transmitter? I don't want to replace the stereo just yet.

I attempted to use the DLO TransPod, but it stopped working after my initial use. The arm on it (as it plugs into the cigarette outlet) was also a bit awkward to use.

Any recommendations would rock.

I have tried several FM transmitter solutions and they all suck. I finally went to a hardwired version from Dice Electronics:

http://www.diceelectronics.com/ipod_integration.htm

Jun 11, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #11 of 12
Also a big thumb down for FM transmitters. The quality was terrible.

Jun 11, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #12 of 12
I agree the the rest that transmitters for ipods aren't very good. I tried to use my previous transmitter for a creative player on my ipod and the sound was crap, it was partially static. Get an aux in. It does wonders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back