iPod Headphones
Dec 6, 2003 at 4:01 PM Post #17 of 28
It took nearly a year, but I too succumbed to the Etymotic's siren song and bought the ER-4Ps (I'd been happily using Sony's 7506s, nice cans in their own right).

The occusion and the neutral quality of the ER-4Ps sound took some getting used to, but now Id' replace them without hesitation if i had to. It's hard to beat the 4Ps and the iPod - portable, well designed; one of the best unamped match-ups for the iPod there is.

Get them from a place that has a good return policy (some people hate the fit and the unfamiliar bass references) and given them a try.

Dec 6, 2003 at 5:04 PM Post #18 of 28
I'll second KSC-35's with the IPOD. Good match, they sound really good. I also wear glasses and have not found the KSC-35's to cause a problem there at all.

Oh, and the Ipod sounds good with the Grado SR-80's unamped as well.

Dec 6, 2003 at 5:34 PM Post #19 of 28
I knew the KSC-35's were going to come up in this discussion -

Those of you that wear glasses and use KSC-35's (or 50's) - do you take your glasses off and put them back on while listening? I strongly suspect that they will fall off. (Granted, anything but earbuds will get in the way)

BTW - I ordered a pair of PX200's and threw in a set of MX-500's just for good measure (I would have ordered MX-400's instead, but they weren't immediately available from my source).

I will see how I like these - If I'm not just blown away and I find myself with $100 burning a hole in my pocket after Christmas, I will probably buy a pair of Eggos.

bd

Dec 6, 2003 at 6:58 PM Post #20 of 28
The 35's feel like they are going to fall off, but don't. I didn't have any problems with them and glasses. They are cheaply constructed though so depending on your ears thickness, they may feel loose or tight (or one ear one way and the other opposite). Mine had different tension on either ear. I never got use to it.

For the record, I found for sound quality:
KSC35>Eggos>PX200

For price/performance:
KSC35>PX200>Eggos

For portable practicalities:
PX200>KSC35>Eggos

But again, the various Ety and Shure models should be considered.

Dec 6, 2003 at 8:01 PM Post #21 of 28
thanks guys ^_^ sr80's here i come
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2003 at 9:45 PM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
For the record, I found for sound quality:
KSC35>Eggos>PX200

For price/performance:
KSC35>PX200>Eggos

For portable practicalities:
PX200>KSC35>Eggos

That's really amazing. You're putting $20 KSC-35's (well, nowdays they are more like 30 +S/H) ahead of $50 and $100 cans. Presumably, the KSC 50 and 55 are the same drivers, and 50's can be had for $20 with enough money left over for lunch at McD's.

Since they are so inexpensive - I may just have to try a pair of KSC-50's, assming I can find them locally. I'll be out Christmas shopping tomorrow....

Dec 6, 2003 at 9:53 PM Post #23 of 28
For sound quality I'd rate the px200 above the ksc-35. It all depends on personal taste.

Also, many people consider the mx500 to be slightly superior sounding to the mx400 because of increased impedance from the inline volume control.

Dec 6, 2003 at 9:58 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by kyrie
For sound quality I'd rate the px200 above the ksc-35. It all depends on personal taste.

Also, many people consider the mx500 to be slightly superior sounding to the mx400 because of increased impedance from the inline volume control.

I know... it's odd how widely the perception varies. Not sure if it's a physological (shape of the ear) or psycological issue - or something else entirely.

Then again, the Grado SR-60 is almost universally praised.

Either way - if it's not too much money (and I think I can afford $20) the 35's might be worth a try. I know I could possibly locate a store that would let me listen, but they always sound different when you get 'em home. If I don't like them and/or don't use them - I can always return them to the store or recoup a good chunk of the cost on eBay.

Dec 8, 2003 at 6:18 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by kyrie

I also agree that the PX200 sound better than the KSC-35. The KSC-35's were too dark for me. I personally like the brighter sound with the tight bass of the PX200.

I guess i'm the almost the exact opposite of Blessingx for sound quality.

Eggo>px200>ksc35

As for the portability of the eggo's, I find that the felt bag it comes with and being foldable make it very easy to transport. I can just throw it into my bag and not worry about it getting damaged, which i can't say about the ksc35.

Dec 8, 2003 at 3:52 PM Post #27 of 28
I narrowed down my search to the portas, px100s and px200s, before actually going out to listen, and I found that the px200 simply had too little bass, so I'm getting the px100s. The Portas were a bit too bass heavy, and they fell very flimsy compared to the Senns, and that hardcase will make me comfortable about bringing them everywhere I bring my 'book. Make sure you listen to everything you're considering before buying!

(My purpose is listening to compressed music off my iBook, btw.)

Dec 8, 2003 at 7:12 PM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Trance-Fusion
thanks guys ^_^ sr80's here i come
biggrin.gif

congratulations! i got hooked on headphones while comparing my sony ex70 earbuds (which i thought were pretty good at that time) to the SR80s...and i barely listen to my sonys now. the sr80s are great for the iPod and the iPod easily drives them. since they can be packed relatively flat, they're actually easily transportable.

i'm going to spring for the ER-4Ps, just for isolation purposes, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back