iPod Headphones
Dec 5, 2003 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

bdormer

New Head-Fier
Ok, here goes -

After a long wait, I finally bit the bullet and bought an iPod. The included earbuds (iBuds?) are.... adequate. But I want something better.

My intended uses are working out, walking, riding in the car (as passenger) and at work (need some isolation, but some leakage would not be a problem). Portabilty is a large consideration - but could be offset by sound quality.

I wouldn't call myself an all out audiophile, although I do know good components from bad ones. I tend to like JBL and Klipsh speakers, and dislike most Bose (except the old 901's). I currently have Klipsh speakers in my home theater. I've owned a set of AKG 240's for about 20 years - still use 'em - still love 'em. Electronics are mostly high-end Sony.

As for a price range; given the intended use, $100 is probably the upper limit of my "comfort zone". I could be conviced to spend more, but the sound would have to be VERY compelling.

I have an aversion to anything stuck in my ear canal (Ety ER-6's are definitly a non-starter for that reason), although earbuds are OK. I wear glasses (which I put on and take off many times during the day) so over-the-ear-clip (Koss KSC-35 and 50) are pretty much out. A few years ago I bought a set of street-style band-behind-the-head phones and hated them - they were just utterly uncomforable (I must have a big head, so much for KSC-55's). As much as I've liked Koss over the years, the (S)Porta-Pro's are just butt-ugly.

I considered Grado SR-60's, but they are probably too big and chunky for portability.

So, I've narrowed the field down to Sennheiser PX-100, PX-200 and MX-500. This isn't due to any Sennheiser fetish - just that these models seem to fill the bill best. In fact, I can't recall ever listening to any Sennheiser cans - so I might really dislike their sound.

Left on my own, I'd buy a pair of PX-200's for use in most situations, and maybe a pair of MX-500's, for ultra-portability (and because they are dirt cheap).

Is this the best I can do, give my requirements?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long post!

bd

Dec 5, 2003 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by bdormer
I wear glasses (which I put on and take off many times during the day) so over-the-ear-clip (Koss KSC-35 and 50) are pretty much out.

I wear glasses too and I have no problem with the KSC35! Have you tried them?

Dec 6, 2003 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 28
There are few things more compelling than the sound of the ER4P/S. You're gonna end up there anyway.
tongue.gif
See my profile for what I tried first. Team EtyPodic.

Dec 6, 2003 at 3:18 AM Post #5 of 28
Thanks for all the (quick) replies.

To answer these posts:

No, I haven't tried any of the Koss cans to see if they were a problem with glasses. I was thinking about making the rounds of the local audio and record stores to see if I could try out some of the alternatives. (Once the snow lets up)

Eggos - I *DO* like Sony electronics, but I'm not having a lot of luck locating them (online even). I suppose I can add them to the list of possiblities. If you have a source, please let me know.

As for Ety's - I just don't like the idea of sticking someting in my ear canal. Probably stems from childhood trauma (too complicated to explain here). And $250 for something that's going to get knocked around, dropped in backpacks, sat on.... I just can't see that. It would also mean that the phones cost nearly what I paid for my iPod in the first place. But I will admit that they are tempting, given the reviews.

Dec 6, 2003 at 3:29 AM Post #7 of 28
DOH -

I just found them at audiocubes myself.

After looking at the prior reviews, Eggos (I'm assuming D66's as opposed to the 22's) look like new front runner. The description of the sound quality sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

But I still think I'm going to get a pair of MX500's for times when I really want to travel light.

Dec 6, 2003 at 3:31 AM Post #8 of 28
The px200 are a good buy. They're about $50, sound good straight out of the Ipod, fold up nice in there case, isolate a little bit of sound, and the people around you can hear what your listening to. I bought these for my girlfriend and thought they sounded just ok when I first trying them out of the box. Now that they're broken in, they sound much better. I was also used to the ety ER-4S, so off course they're not going to sound nearly as good but for a good all around headphone, it's a good buy. I haven't tried the other Senn headphones you've mentioned so I can't compare but I know the px100 does not isolate sound at all so people around can hear your music.

Dec 6, 2003 at 3:35 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by bdormer
And $250 for something that's going to get knocked around, dropped in backpacks, sat on.... I just can't see that.

Your iPod would not survive that kind of treatment. Read up about Koss' KSC-35s. They are more fragile than etys though IMO. Good luck.

Dec 6, 2003 at 3:46 AM Post #10 of 28
Your iPod would not survive that kind of treatment

I was exaggerating somewhat (and I was referring to the phones, not the iPod
wink.gif
)

I don't generally abuse equipment - but headphones are just one of those things that tend to get rather rough treatment despite best intentions. If I trash a $50 set of cans, I'll be upset, but I'll get over it. If I trash a $250 set of Ety's - I'll be REALLY pissed.

Dec 6, 2003 at 3:50 AM Post #11 of 28
Only difference between MX500 and 400 is the in-line volume control, I think.. so if you want to skip that, you can save a few bucks (very, very few) by going with the MX400 instead.

I too, would recommend the Eggos in your case...
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 6, 2003 at 8:14 AM Post #12 of 28
hey.. i kinda have a side question. I have a 3rd gen iPod and i'm getting sr80's around christmas time- will the iPod power the sr80's decently? i don't need it to be 'really' nice until awhile in which case i might get a cmoy.. but do you think i'll be able to get away with that setup until atleast the summer?

Dec 6, 2003 at 3:00 PM Post #14 of 28
working out and walking with a pair of grados sounds pretty funny...

maybe it's not the kind of cans for "that" portability

jacopi|!

Dec 6, 2003 at 3:05 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone
It'll be good enough
smily_headphones1.gif

for the power thing, you're absolutely right
my iPod drives the 325s quite easily

jacopi|!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back