iPod -- Fifth Generation and Beyond: Trends?
Feb 19, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #16 of 73
I have never understood the lack of a -real- EQ. Say 4 or 5 bands would be nice. I would also like an FM tuner. I used it all the time with my IRiver before I upgraded to the IPod Photo 60g.

Feb 19, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #17 of 73
I agree with gerG on PDA convergence but would add that it might even converge with cellphones as well (BlackBerry-like ipods with mp3 ability). Can't the current player already sync with OutLook? OLED would make sense. Not only would it increase battery life, they look better too. A FM tuner would make since. Alot of people seem to want that.

A general note, I'm worry with where they are going with iTunes however. Hope propriety format and software doesn't limit growth like it did in their home computer space.

Feb 19, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #18 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
EDITED BY MODERATOR

it seems iPod users are rather defensive...why? unless you feel yourself the iPod is a bit lacking. i saw it as him mentioning features we'd like to see. comparing it to micro features? more like naming features the micro's got right! i must say, what he's been saying are the main reasons holding me back from getting one. trust me i've HIGHLY considered it... but aesthetic appeal isn't enough.

too funny...

hm... silver iPod... what can i say, i'm a sucker for looks.

Feb 19, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #19 of 73
I don't like the looks of the iPod that much (although it is certainly less 'peasant-styled' than the likes of the iRiver), but it is the only high-capacity player I'd buy again because of how it works as a product... if, that is, I didn't always want something else even if just to keep my gadget freak instincts alive. I frequently get the urge to throw it in with the library wrestling, annoying user interfaces, ill-considered feature implementation, etc of other players and just buy the iPod again. So far I have managed to resist that urge. The iRiver H10 is next, but who knows? A 5th gen might be when I say "I give up trying to find a better player than the iPod".

I'd like the 5th gen to look less white and be smaller. 12-15 hour battery life with frequent backlit fiddling would be good. A voice recorder would be useful for me. A more versatile remote would be good too. I'm sure they'll throw in a couple of surprises, but apart from the looks and maybe display type I don't see a whole lot of changes for the 5G iPod.

My real 'want' is not so much for the 5G, but in addition to the iPod, iPod Shuffle, iPod Mini and the iPod Photo, I'd like to see an "iPod Pro" for musicians. I think if they could pre-empt Sony and offer a proper recording model with line/optical/mic in, it would marginalise Hi-MD even more. Integrated with Garageband (with plugins for other apps), it could be a major boost to budding musicians. I doubt it's mass-market enough for Apple, but it's something I'd like to have, since I'm sure that it'll be a much more usable product than anything Sony has introduced to date with the MD-based solutions.

Feb 19, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #20 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
My real 'want' is not so much for the 5G, but in addition to the iPod, iPod Shuffle, iPod Mini and the iPod Photo, I'd like to see an "iPod Pro" for musicians. I think if they could pre-empt Sony and offer a proper recording model with line/optical/mic in, it would marginalise Hi-MD even more. Integrated with Garageband (with plugins for other apps), it could be a major boost to budding musicians. I doubt it's mass-market enough for Apple, but it's something I'd like to have, since I'm sure that it'll be a much more usable product than anything Sony has introduced to date with the MD-based solutions.

wow thats really a good idea, "ipod pro" thats got a nice ring to it
tongue.gif
and that way apple could improve the ipod with the recording abilities, sound quality, battery life, etc. along with just having a base model thats cheaper and more targeted at the masses instead of us audiophiles.

Feb 19, 2005 at 2:21 AM Post #21 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
Beyond increased capacity and different enclosures, what other features can we expect to see? [size=xx-small](Expect to see, not want to see -- wants can be found in hundreds of other threads, this one is for intelligent speculations)[/size]

I thought that the original poster stated it pretty clearly, let's move on.
rolleyes.gif

As far as convergence goes I feel that stuff falls in line with better with the cell phone world. Plus I think the quality of the whole package goes down with too much convergance. For that reason I don't think any type of radio will go into the iPod. If they were gonna do it they would have already. Radios in portables never seem to work real well anyway.

Expectations:

Color screen (OLED would be sweet)
Photo Support
Improved Battery (how much is the real question)
Active hard drive shock management
Fixed EQ (customizable please)
Gapless
iTunes update with ability to downconvert on the fly from lossless to any bitrate AAC or MP3.
Burr Brown DAC (OK that's a stretch)

Since the 4G was a modest update at best it is very possible that the 5G brings something new and significant to the table. Apple has a long history of introducing new features/technologies/software that have been known to prime new directions and standards. It feels as if they know they don't have to react to the rest of the Jone's because they have big cards they have not played yet. What i'm really wondering about right now is the the sheer amount of pins on the dock connector (and the extra ones on the shuffle's USB port) and what they could possibly be for. I can't think of any accessory currently on the market that would use anymore than 6 pins. I don't know, but i'm sure they were not put there on accident.

Feb 19, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #22 of 73
My expected feature is for them to try to make it exercise-worthy since they (all HDD players) have been badgered because of this. I don't think apple will add gapless, they probably had a reason to make it like that in the first place although I'm clueless to what it is. Apple should take some design cues from Sony, the MZ-RH10 is just stunning, if the new ipod looks like that then it'll be an interesting year to say the least.

Feb 19, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #23 of 73
I would think with their current marketing scheme it would be called a PowerPod or just PodPro. They seem to reserve the i names for the more consumer based products. That being said I think their would definately be a market for it even if it was super high priced. Look how many people buy Powerbooks. Like Bangarman said this thing would be more targeted at the pro market like musicians, audiofiles, and DJ's keeping it out of reach of the RIAA. Think DAT player for this century. The pro market is right up Apple's alley.

Things I could see/want with a 'PowerPod':

Direct line in recording to WAV/AIFF/Lossless/MP3/AAC
Large buffer memory for more efficient playback of lossless files.
A plethora of input accessories through the dock connector (1/4 inch input, XLR, Microphone, SPDIF, etc)
4 track recording (dock connector split to 4 1/4inch inputs), ah maybe that's what all the pins are for.
Audiophile DAC/ADC converter
Powerful amp (think headphone amp board built in)
Pitch control and vinyl style cueing through the scroll wheel(for tha DJ's)
Largest 1.8 in hardrive available
Titanium enclosure

It would be a little larger than the current iPod Photo most likely for the larger output amp and battery to accomadate decent record times. I would think the battery would need to accomadate at least an 1hr of 4 track recording off of a full charge, but you would most likely be plugged in for this type of application.

Steve, listen this is definately about the music!

PS - it would also have a red button on it to nuke the RIAA!

Feb 19, 2005 at 5:21 AM Post #25 of 73
One other thing I'd like is for Apple to make an iPod that wasn't so prone to scratches. Is it so hard for them to make a scratch-proof iPod?

Maybe it's all a consipiracy to help sell more iPod cases and bleed us of more and more money...
eek.gif

Feb 19, 2005 at 5:21 AM Post #26 of 73
I'd predict more quasi-pda functions, more games, more non-music related tweaks.

as well as reading these rumors on various gadget sites (gizmodo, engadget, etc) It just makes sense, more functions means you have to take your ipod out of your pocket more, more people seeing ipods being used means more sales.

Feb 19, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #27 of 73
IMHO I think everyone should expect biggish exterior changes with minor internal imporvements.

Look at the generation changes: 1 and 2 where basicly the same, 3 brought curvey sides and a smaller shape along with the touch interface, 4 brough an evolution of the 3; "better" interface and marginally better battery life. So for the 5G I'm expecting a large exterior overall with longer battery life and better SQ.

Feb 19, 2005 at 4:40 PM Post #28 of 73
I've just deleted and edited some posts that were pointlessly combative. I don't want to see any flame wars in here, or I'll lock the thread.

BTW - The thread seems to be progressing along just fine at this point...what I cleaned up was left over from last night. To those who suggested moving on, thanks.
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #29 of 73
Maybe the Sudden Movement Sensor thing that's new to the Powerbooks (and old to IBM laptops
wink.gif
) will make it in - it certainly makes sense although I don't know how it would affect weight/size/cost.

Also, I've heard rumors of coloured enclosures - I sort of like the white, but a navy blue or charcoal one would be hot.

Feb 20, 2005 at 5:20 AM Post #30 of 73
I heard a couple months back that they were trying to have a wi-fi transfer between comp. and ipod, im not sure how that would work though.
plainface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back