iPod -- Fifth Generation and Beyond: Trends?
Feb 20, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #31 of 73
Actually, can someone clear some questions up?

I've been hearing that the 20gb is being phased out completely. So my assumption was that the 5th G iPod would have only, 40gb, 40/60gb Photo, and I believed that they were going to increase the capacity on the mini...but PLEASE, someone that actually knows this... clarify?
rolleyes.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 6:19 AM Post #32 of 73
The only people who know work at Apple. Anything else is just rumor and speculation at this point.

I personally don't think that they would get rid of the 20gig model. It seems like a good entry point for larger capacity players. I could see them going 20/40/80 though because if you can use 60 why not go 80. You could carry around a significant lossless library that way too.

Feb 20, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #33 of 73
Apple has come out with new scroll/navigation wheels with every new generation. I predict the 5G will have some tweaks to the wheel, although its doing pretty well as is. Here's a cool idea: The inner part of the wheel (closest to the center) will rotate the GUI fast. When you rotate the outer part, it will move down the list slow. So going in circles closest to the center REALLY REALLY fast will scroll the list at warp speed.
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #34 of 73
And will they ever add a custom EQ setting? Since the presets are already there it would seem to be a simple matter to add a custom setting and I can't understand why this isn't available yet, even at 4G. What's up with that..? Fix that and I might actually buy an ipod someday.

I'd also like the ability to play .WMA files but I'm not holding my breath...
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #35 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by phasion
Apple has come out with new scroll/navigation wheels with every new generation. I predict the 5G will have some tweaks to the wheel, although its doing pretty well as is. Here's a cool idea: The inner part of the wheel (closest to the center) will rotate the GUI fast. When you rotate the outer part, it will move down the list slow. So going in circles closest to the center REALLY REALLY fast will scroll the list at warp speed.
biggrin.gif

THat would be so cool. I guess they would have to tilt the synatics underlying board so that it would be more sensitive to closer to center touch. It would almost make it like a mouspad, because u could move sideways and up, b/c it would tilt i.e. circle, and then around. I wonder if that actually works. SOrt of like a cone. It seems it would make it ten times better.

Feb 22, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #36 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFil
Things I could see/want with a 'PowerPod':

Direct line in recording to WAV/AIFF/Lossless/MP3/AAC
Large buffer memory for more efficient playback of lossless files.
A plethora of input accessories through the dock connector (1/4 inch input, XLR, Microphone, SPDIF, etc)
4 track recording (dock connector split to 4 1/4inch inputs), ah maybe that's what all the pins are for.
Audiophile DAC/ADC converter
Powerful amp (think headphone amp board built in)
Pitch control and vinyl style cueing through the scroll wheel(for tha DJ's)
Largest 1.8 in hardrive available
Titanium enclosure

.... PS - it would also have a red button on it to nuke the RIAA!

I second this. I would really like to see the support of more formats (FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, etc), gapless is a must and pitch control would also be very helpful. I would also like to see some type of bluetooth connection, where you could transfer things between ipods. A less prone-to-scratch surface would also be nice. The ability to make your own custom interface (ie, color scheme, icons, startup icon, etc) would also be great. If apple could also offer an online "design your own face plate",where you can upload a picture, drawing, etc to be put on the front of the ipod - that would be cool and would help make your ipod unique as well.

That's my 2 cents.

Feb 22, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #38 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by phasion
biggrin.gif

That's a really interesting idea. It would make it more like an actual wheel.

Well, I was also thinking that there would be a change to the wheel, but I was thinking more along the lines of simplicity. Steve Jobs has definitely been a supporter of simplicity, so maybe they would make the wheel into one part. They kind of did this by eliminating the separate play/pause, forward, rewind, and menu buttons, but the center button is still separate, so maybe that will change.

Feb 22, 2005 at 5:08 AM Post #39 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uber_1337
IMHO I think everyone should expect biggish exterior changes with minor internal imporvements.

Look at the generation changes: 1 and 2 where basicly the same, 3 brought curvey sides and a smaller shape along with the touch interface, 4 brough an evolution of the 3; "better" interface and marginally better battery life. So for the 5G I'm expecting a large exterior overall with longer battery life and better SQ.

I totally agree with you! I think that Apple has evolved the iPod so little through four full generations. The only major improvements have been larger disk space and external shape/size. The color scheme, UI, and functions have more or less been the same.

I believe the new iPod will come in a couple different colors/materials (I've been hearing brushed aluminum or titanium as one option), but will maintain the white acrylic in some iteration of the iPod. They will probably keep the base 20GB (maybe bumped to 25GB) and go with 2-3 iterations up to 80GB. Too many different 5G iPods is too hard to market. There will probably only be 4 or 5 different colors/sizes, like they always have.

The one major improvement that I DO expect to see (that strangely nobody has talked about) is an upgrade to the shotty earbuds. I think Apple has taken enough criticism for them and will upgrade them ever so slightly.

Ditto on the iTunes update...they need to make iPods EASY to sync. Too many people have trouble, and iTunes is too slow to mount/recognize the iPod (at least with my 3G and 4G experience on a PC).

Feb 22, 2005 at 9:32 AM Post #42 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by TEvo
My predictions for the 5G and beyond...

-limited edition SJRDFET (Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field Effect Transistors) iPod. Allows AIFF only (compression is not becoming of audiophiles). Choice of black ash, maple, cherry or bird's eye veneers. Similar to turning an LP over on the turntable, must be resynced with iTunes every 20 - 30 minutes. Line-level out standard.

-portable tube line buffer accessory. Compatible with all iPods with dock connectors. Think different. Think valve.

-complete line of Apple audiophile grade iPod accessories. Think Apple is overpriced compared to the Windows world? Wait `til they find out what audiophiles are willing to pay for cables & tweaks...

i'm going to go ahead and disagree 100%. i think those fields have been filled in already well, with those that actually know about quality audio. and those that know, won't be convinced by mass-marketing; they will demand side by side testing (i.e. i'm talking bout us yo
smily_headphones1.gif
). no, apple will continue the "cuteness." i mean, something on the order of color, size, or some "fun" feature. i'm gonna also say that it will be a very limited improvement, as others are saying. just enough to string their brainwashed audience along. now, i'm not apple bashing. i've owned an emac, an ibook, and three ipods; so don't start with me
orphsmile.gif
but 'brainwashed" is absolutely the best word i have to describe it. people don't ask: what kind of "digital music player", or slightly worse: "what kind of mp3 player is that", they say: "is that an ipod?". i mean, there is so little competition in the mass (ignorant) population.

i was going to say that apple would not go for anything but white, but i'm rethinking. the minis sort of axe that idea. also, sony's dap is silver, and they have the $$ to advertise (and they do, probably 2nd in advertising (a far second) to apple). i think apple's getting desperate. they had the great fortune of being the first to put their product smack in the public eye. i'd like to say: they'll be outdone by other companies, and slowly fade to equals with them, but in all honesty; i don't have that much faith in the mainstream public. i think they'll keep buying it cuz it's "apple"

Feb 22, 2005 at 10:50 AM Post #45 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah
i've owned an emac, an ibook, and three ipods; so don't start with me

Sorry...but...you owned a eMac??? What were you thinking???
orphsmile.gif

Quote:

i think apple's getting desperate.

I think the opposite is more likely. They're going in for the kill. The shuffle and new mini (and old minis to be priced at $200 if rumors are true) are all attempts to yank the rug out from under the low-cost competitors. There's going to be massive carnage over the next year or so. Only the fittest will survive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back