iPod EQ Settings
Dec 19, 2009 at 3:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

hardRAWKR

100+ Head-Fier
I'm curious to know what people's thoughts are on the iPod's built-in EQ settings. Are they any good? Which ones, if you use any, do you prefer? Are they an acceptable (not ideal, acceptable) substitute for custom EQ? Just general thoughts, I'm interested in what people think.

Personally, I've messed around with them a bit, but I prefer the original sound of the recording almost 100% of the time.

Dec 19, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #2 of 28
My preferred setting on my touch is R&B setting.

No reason other than it sounds better than any of the other settings to me.

Would like to do custom, but since I can't I'll stick with R&B.

Dec 19, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #3 of 28
I had a 5.5G ipod a while ago and with the stock firmware I did not like the EQ change at all. However when I changed to rockbox I liked the EQ better but I only added a little bit of bass.

Dec 19, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #4 of 28
I want to turn up the bass just a bit because my AD700's could use a little bit more, but the bass booster just makes it boomy and irritating.

Dec 20, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #6 of 28
After I used mp3gain to lower the gain on my files the iPod eq's are useable and don't seem to distort but I still prefer the music without eq.

Dec 20, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #7 of 28
I personally think that the amp for the headphones are useless. After attaching my CmoyBB to the LOD the EQ works without distorting, I tend to use "loudness" anyway.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #8 of 28
depending on what style of music i listen to, i use the EQ settings. especially classical or acoustic, the EQ seems to brighten the music quite a bit.

Dec 20, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #10 of 28
With my denon C700 I used the acoustic setting. However, after I upgraded my phones I always keep it on the flat setting.

Dec 21, 2009 at 1:22 AM Post #11 of 28
To me the presets are a choice of subtly crap, quite crap, rather crap indeed, and 'was that an EQ distortion, or did I crack one out by mistake?'.

I mean... use it if it works for you, and some might work, but a working EQ seems to be Kryptonite for Apple. They've had 7 years to get it right and they don't seem to have bothered.

Generally speaking, I lay off portable EQ's, period... as all of them have detrimental effects on the sound, although usually at a fairly low level. Apple's though is pretty overt at times.

Dec 21, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #12 of 28
I either use Treble Boost or Bass Boost, these 2 for me are most noticeable, the others are either less noticeable or similar to every other EQ xD
I use the iPod Touch 3rd gen btw.

Dec 21, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #13 of 28
Unamped I use the Jazz setting. If the ipod is amped with my FiiO or X-CAN I turn the EQ off. If I am listening with my laptop speakers I have a customised setting which is flat.

It is a shame that customised EQ settings cannot be imported onto the ipod.

Dec 21, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #14 of 28
haha Looks like there are three parties here..."they suck", "they're good on the right equipment", and "I always use 'setting A'".
:p
I tend to lean towards "they suck" because I don't have an amp or anything to use.

Dec 21, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #15 of 28
I'm into "Deep." Wouldnt listen to my iPod with headphones without it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back