iPod Dock Pinout
Feb 24, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #61 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by saab

I am assuming he already has one that he has been using from the headphone output.

-John

Ah yes of course. If that is the case then you are right!
rolleyes.gif

But if he would have to buy both it comes around to at least 60$ or so and a hardwired iPod dock to mini would only be 45$.

Hans.

Feb 24, 2006 at 1:59 PM Post #62 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewFischer
I have the tools.

Only thing I don't have is the connectors. Cost is about $26 + my time
smily_headphones1.gif

Dock connector looks like a pain to work with.

Absolutely, build one, or as many as you want. They are totally worth it in my opinion. If you have everything you need besides the connectors from ridax, making your own would definately be cheapest, and the most fun.
tongue.gif

Sorry for the confusion.
confused.gif
icon10.gif

John

Mar 27, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #63 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars
Yeah, I ohmed out one of our cables and as you noted, those are the only 4 pins used. 27 and 25 are USB data, so doubtful that those are really even needed for charging. Should be 23 (USB Power +5V) and 16 (USB Gnd). Looking at the USB connector end (is that a USB Type A? not up on this USB crap
rolleyes.gif
), the connections are:

Dock/iPod connector pin USB pin
27 -----> 3
25 -----> 2
23 -----> 1
16 -----> 4

I numbered the USB pins as on the iPod connector, USB logo up, plug facing away from me, numbering from L to R. Also verified that no pins are connected together. Not sure if this helps.

did you see what's the ohm between these connections? i just want to know if there's anything between them. like a resistor.

Mar 27, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #64 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by tekstyle
did you see what's the ohm between these connections? i just want to know if there's anything between them. like a resistor.

I could not fine any interconnection between any pins on the iPod connector... its just a straight thru as indicated.

I got a Pocketdock this week and I'm going to ohm that out and see what is connected to what... would be nice if you could get those flat-faced dock connectors like they use.... would make mounting jacks alot easier.

Mar 27, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #65 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by saab
Absolutely, build one, or as many as you want. They are totally worth it in my opinion. If you have everything you need besides the connectors from ridax, making your own would definately be cheapest, and the most fun.
tongue.gif

Sorry for the confusion.
confused.gif
icon10.gif

John

Well maybe a small point, Ridax is not the only one selling them, I sell them as well although I only sell the smaller, shielded ones, and my prices are cheaper then Ridax's.

Please find my Mall-Fi here: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=168776

Thanks for looking.

Mar 27, 2006 at 3:21 PM Post #66 of 73
Quote:

WHat seems to be the verdict in terms of the connectors? The thicker one or the thinner one? Is there room in the thinner one to stuff a mini jack for lineout

You mean this?
iPod-Connector.jpg

Mar 27, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #69 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qsilver2001
using silver plated copper wire and pulled out the surrounding of pin 2/3/4.
(pin1/5/6). Its been cased can't open it to take snap shot.
biggrin.gif

Do you mind sharing what jack you used for this? The Switchcraft (or Ratshack) jack definitely will not fit in this connector. BTW, is the black one as pictured identical to the slim white ones that Ridax sells?

Thanks,

Chris

Mar 27, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #70 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoosterw
Well maybe a small point, Ridax is not the only one selling them, I sell them as well although I only sell the smaller, shielded ones, and my prices are cheaper then Ridax's.

Please find my Mall-Fi here: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=168776

Thanks for looking.

A small point, I made that post well before you announced that you are selling the connectors as well, at least as far as I am aware.

Mar 27, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #71 of 73
Quote:

Do you mind sharing what jack you used for this? The Switchcraft (or Ratshack) jack definitely will not fit in this connector. BTW, is the black one as pictured identical to the slim white ones that Ridax sells?

Thanks,

Chris

Got those slim mounting jacks from ratshack(my country). Try hunt around for the max height 5mm inorder to fit into the slim connector. Hope that helps.

Mar 27, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #72 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoosterw

Another small point is that hoosterw is shipping with economy mail, so it takes forever to get them. I know, I just made a test order from him. Even now, after 7 working days, I still haven't got them (and this is within Europe). Shipping to US economy will take between 8 and 12 WORKING days (i.e. up to 2.5 week).

Another small point is that I was the one taking the risk to buy these unknown connectors (as a "group buy" for the iPodLinux forum) , that only were marketed to big businesses for ultrasound welding. He would never have dared to take the risk of buying 4000 connectors, if he had not sampled from me first.

He is US$ 0.12 cheaper/connector. I will let him have this benefit of selling it slightly cheaper. If you want to have a wider choice of connectors, want to do the business with the one who will continously front up funds for these and future iPod connectors, you are welcome to check out my signature below for online ordering.

On the other hand, if alot of you are desperate and feel these US$ 0.12 are all that matters, then you have your choice. If it comes to this and a lot of buyers decides on this, I will not continue providing these connectors, and hoosterw will no doubt increase the price in that case (as he has emailed me before and wanted to buy me out of business as he wanted to be "alone") and he will not have this wide choice of connectors as he is only interested in the thin "glue together" type of connectors.

Sorry, if this sounds like a commercial, but I feel that there needs to be some balance to hoosterw, that just picks up an old thread to advertise his stuff.

Quote:

They are identical, except for the colour, and both white and black is available at both places...

Mar 28, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #73 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by ridax
I have measured a original Apple USB charger and it gives around +5V for USB power, +2.7V for Data- och 2.0V for Data+. All these voltages relative to ground. So the Data pins are connected and not free in space and I think the information I got before, that putting 2.5V on Data- might do the trick (but no guarantee on this). To put 2.5V on Data- you can use two similar resistors in series between GND and +5V (like 2 1kOhm resistors) and you will get 2.5V between the two resistors (if any of you are not familiar with electronics).

I tried this trick on a US$2.5 generic USB wallwart. It Works! It won't get kick out of charge mode anymore on my 5g. Thanks ridax.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back