iPod Dock Pinout
Jan 26, 2006 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 73

xluben

500+ Head-Fier
Using this pinout of the iPod dock connector:

http://pinouts.ru/data/ipod_pinout.shtml

Could I just pop open the dock connection part of an Apple included cable, solder to the correct pins and get, line out, video out, charging via firewire, etc. I think I'm gonna re-do my DIY iPod dock (better enclosure) and I was hoping I could get more than just line out and firewire, and also make it smaller than the Pocketdock w/firewire plug sticking out of it. The actual dock connection part won't have to look good because it'd be hiddin inside the dock, but does anyone know what it will look like when I bust open a dock connector? Or should I pop open the Pocketdock (does it have all the pins in there?). Opening the Pocketdock seems like it might even work better.

Jan 26, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #2 of 73
Well, I opened up the included dock connector to USB cable (destroying the plastic around the dock connector) and then removed some copper tape and cut off one side of the dock connector and this is what I saw:

dockconnector0039gx.jpg

There are a few wires covered in a blob of hot glue and the are holes (which I assume lead to the pins) are tiny! Even if I could get that hotglue wire mess out of there I don't know if I could find or work with wire that small. Maybe a single strand of stranded wire, but I don't know how I could keep it in the holes (I wouldn't know where to solder).

Jan 26, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #4 of 73
Thanks for the link. I think I heard about this a while ago, but figured they were all probably gone. Now I see where TURBO must get his parts. I ordered 5 of them, but I'll probably just use one for my new DIY dock (hopefully fully featured) and then make one as a line out only pocket dock. I don't know what I'll do with the rest (I'll probably screw up a few while trying to make the dock). Too bad I already destroyed my iPod to USB cable when I went at it with a dremel.

Jan 27, 2006 at 9:32 AM Post #7 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by xluben
Thanks for the link. I think I heard about this a while ago, but figured they were all probably gone. Now I see where TURBO must get his parts. I ordered 5 of them, but I'll probably just use one for my new DIY dock (hopefully fully featured) and then make one as a line out only pocket dock. I don't know what I'll do with the rest (I'll probably screw up a few while trying to make the dock). Too bad I already destroyed my iPod to USB cable when I went at it with a dremel.

the forum member name is Ridax on the iPod linux forum.
He sells them for like $2 bucks a pop. I think he has a continuous supply of them. It would be fun if someone organized a group buy. I think they can be purchased in bulks of 500 directly from Asia.

Jan 27, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
the forum member name is Ridax on the iPod linux forum.
He sells them for like $2 bucks a pop. I think he has a continuous supply of them. It would be fun if someone organized a group buy. I think they can be purchased in bulks of 500 directly from Asia.

And I believe you can buy them from Mouser now...but they are around $5-6.

Jan 27, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #11 of 73
I've also just ordered some connectors from Ridax. I want to send power to the iPod and take the line out signal from it. Running power and signal in parallel is normally a bad idea. The commercial adapters I've seen are using two separate cables for power and line out. I suspect the answer is 'no', but is there a sanitary way to use one cable? I've been slicing open USB, mouse, and keyboard cables looking for something with two separately shielded pairs.

Jan 28, 2006 at 12:01 AM Post #12 of 73
I think it would be very cool to build a Pimeta or whatever in a Hammond case and mount a universal dock connector on top, like the Apple dock. With a cup to cradle the iPod.... I know Ridax sells the electrical part, designed for PC mount but I'm not sure how I would fix that to the top of the case. I wonder if someone makes a plate or something similar to mount on a flat panel?

If I could do that, I would hard wire input lines from the dock to the amp, elilminating the minijack. Could power it too... ooohhhhhh
k1000smile.gif

Jan 28, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #13 of 73
I think the PC mount part Ridax sells is the female portion of the dock (the part in the iPod), so that wouldn't really work. My plan is to mount the dock connecter inside the universal dock adapter that comes with new iPods and then mount that into the top of an enclosure. I'm sure I could easily integrate and amp, but I'd be using the dock mostly for going to my receiver, so I don't think it's really necessary.

As for one cable for power and line out, what would be the purpose of this? It would have to split eventually? Why not just use two different cables? I plan on wiring up lineout, power(firewire), usb(syncing) and rca(video out) jacks into my dock.

Jan 28, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #14 of 73
I'm planning on connecting the iPod to my amp by about 3 feet of cable so the amp sits next to the couch and I can still work the iPod. So, I'm not looking at a dock situation- more like an umbilicus.
icon10.gif

Jan 28, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #15 of 73
I don't really understand what you are looking for. By power do you mean to power the iPod?

power -> iPod -> amp -> heaphones -> you

Is that correct? If so, then I see no need for a power/lineout cable in one. If I'm not understanding correctly (probably) please clarify.

Or is the amp a reciever to power speakers? Even so, that still doesn't seem to pose much of a problem. I actually see no situation where it would be favorable to line out and power in one cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back