iPod Digital output using Apple Airplay and Apple TV
Sep 7, 2010 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

alpha10

100+ Head-Fier
I just wondered, when IOS 4.2 comes out, Apple Airplay will be supported.

Am I right when I think that I will be able to stream music from my iPod to the new Apple TV, and that way get digital output from the Apple TV into my stereo?

If yes, then this is no doubt the easist and cheapest way to get digital out from an iPod.

What do you think?

Thanks

Sep 8, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #2 of 11
I think , you havé right.

Sep 8, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #3 of 11
Correct as far as I'm aware, although obviously it's a home-only set-up. My intention is to build a sort of Hackintosh NAS (i.e.a cheaper alternative than a Mac and with more memory) that more or less just runs iTunes and then have that connected via AirPlay to an Apple TV, then obviously use the optical out from there, control with the Remote App. Bit-perfect goodness. AirPlay can stream to multiple devices at once too.

Sep 9, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #5 of 11
I'm not sure actually. From what I can work out, iTunes 10 has Airplay, iOS 4.2 will have it (4.1 just came out obviously) and when you're actually playing media, you have the option to send it to another device via AirPlay, so it sounds like you should. This quote says so too:

Quote:
iTunes also facilitates streaming of video content as well as iPhoto albums to other devices, including Macs, iPads, iPhones, iPod touches, and Apple TVs

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/09/itunes-10-adds-ping-social-network-tv-rentals-airplay.ars

Can't see why it won't essentially be the same as the AirVideo app except you link to iTunes rather than the AirVideo server program.

Sep 12, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #9 of 11
Wouldn't you need a Touch to stream to/from an iPod? There aren't wireless capabilities for the Classic or Nano, as far as I know.

I'm planning to buy the new Apple TV when it comes out, but I'm going to connect it directly to a computer. Then I'll use the iPad as a big remote control to watch movies off Netflix and play music sent via optical to my DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back