iPod digital out cable??
Nov 8, 2005 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

J@ck

Member of the Trade: Firestone Audio
Hi
I am wondering if anyone here knows about the iPod Digital Out cable?
The iPod can output digital signals. One example is the new Monitor Audio i-Deck system. The i-Deck system got a DAC built in and bypassed iPod's DAC.

http://www.i-deckusa.com/

I have seen a digital out cable for iPod somewhere online, but I cannot find it anymore. Anyone has information about it?
Thank you.

Nov 8, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 13
I believe you're mistaken. There's nothing about the ideck that says it bypasses the ipod's dock, and afaik, the dock connector contains no digital audio signals. It allows firewire and usb connections to the computer, and analog io.

Nov 8, 2005 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 13
I went to the link you provided and did not find a reference to the unit having a separate DAC. Where did you see it?

Everyone I have spoken on this issue does not know anything about a digital line out of an Ipod. Thanks.

Miguel

Nov 8, 2005 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 13
At first when I saw the "digital out" cable for iPod I thought it was a internet joke thing so I didn't pay much attention.
But when I saw the Monitor Audio iDeck unit, I feel it might be possible to do such thing.
I first read the information on Audioadvisor's mail AD.
From audioadvisor's site:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...0iPod%20Player

Quote:

Audiophile-Quality DACs on Board

The i-deck features the latest Digital Amplifier technology with Digital ICs and its own audiophile-quality Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC) resulting in virtually noise-free playback.

This process carries digital files directly to the i-deck’s volume control before converting to analog. The i-deck simply bypasses the iPod's built-in DAC and uses its own superior DAC to produce enhanced audio output. By streamlining the conversion process, the i-deck reduces distortion that occurs with other iPod companion players.

"We know of no other system level products that route digital data extracted from the iPod through separate, high-quality DACs, and we applaud Monitor Audio's pioneering efforts in this area," observes AVguide Monthly for December 2005. "This is the way to get really superior sound from the iPod."

Did we mention that the ideck plays impressively loud? "The speaker set promises a knock-out punch to its rivals in the volume department by offering up to 102 dBA," reports Pocket-Lint, England's leading 'gadgets, gear, and gizmos' journal.

Nov 8, 2005 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 13
Hi J@ck,

I saw this on audioadvisor as well, but I find it strange that it is not listed on the Monitor Audio website.

If it is indeed true, they must be using the USB port on the dock connector to interface with their own u-controller chip, SW, and dac.

I also find it strange that they would do such a thing for a mini-system. Would one be able to even hear a difference with their built-in amp and speakers?

Do they sell the i-Deck in stores in the USA? I can try it with my modded iPod (line out on dock connector is disabled) and see if it really plays
wink.gif

Regards,

Vinnie

Nov 8, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 13
Hi Vinnie
It is highly possible that Monitor Audio using one of the USB/Audio chips. Thank you for bring up the point.
I would be very interested if there's a demo model in a local store.
I hope Monitor Audio can give more information about the system, like the DAC chip model number would be great.

Nov 8, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #7 of 13
If the red wine audio people can do the line out mod directly from the chip pinout, I don't really see any reason why they can't take a direct digital input that's fed to the DAC and output it directly through a little cable just like their line out mod does. Or did I miss something completely?

Nov 9, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
If the red wine audio people can do the line out mod directly from the chip pinout, I don't really see any reason why they can't take a direct digital input that's fed to the DAC and output it directly through a little cable just like their line out mod does. Or did I miss something completely?

Hi Sloth,

Yes, the digital lines that feed the DAC can be taken out of the iPod, but the data is not in the S/PDIF format. Therefore, it cannot be sent directly to most external dacs in the audio market.

Regards,

Vinnie Rossi
Red Wine Audio

Nov 9, 2005 at 2:27 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by markot86
if it's not s/pdif, what could it be? that's very mysterious

Hi Markot86,

I believe that the digital data going to the iPod's internal Wolfson dac is I2S (a serial bus consisting of 3 separate lines). I2S is common in transmitting digital audio between ICs inside of devices, while SPDIF is a standard that was developed is to trasmit digital audio data between devices.

Regarding the Monitor Audio i-deck, if it is in fact receiving digital data from the iPod's dock connector, it is probably via USB or Firewire. SPDIF does not exist in the iPod. "Don't steal music!"
icon10.gif

Cheers!

Vinnie

Nov 9, 2005 at 7:09 AM Post #11 of 13
I wish the iPod could somehow be modded so that I could send the signal digitally via USB to a USB DAC.

Vinnie, is that up your alley?

Nov 10, 2005 at 12:32 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
I wish the iPod could somehow be modded so that I could send the signal digitally via USB to a USB DAC.

Vinnie, is that up your alley?

Hi Skylab,

This will most likely require an external board and embedded SW. If I wasn't running Red Wine Audio full time, I'd most likely jump in on this (just for the fun of it
wink.gif
), but it is too big of a project for me at this time. I barely get sleep as it is
blink.gif

I still need to get my butt in gear and mod my new iPod Video. It looks very cool in black, eh?
wink.gif

Regards,

Vinnie

Nov 12, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #13 of 13
Surely the first sentence is the important one?

"This process carries digital files directly to the i-deck’s volume control before converting to analog."

That implies that they just retrieve the actual audio _FILES_ by data transfer from the iPod, and presumably have basically implemented another MP3 player in their hardware. They're not retrieving digital sound data, but the original mp3 / aac / whatever files. No?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back