iPod Classic's SQ: really that bad?
May 1, 2008 at 8:15 PM Post #61 of 88
I use the pocket docks/lodsand poirtable amps and the little dot at all times, I never ever use the headphone out of an ipod amped or otherwise, I even carry around an imod with vcap dock on occasions, as explained I wanted to see what the results would be when compared with the clip, nothing more, nothing less, I found the result to be favourable towards the clip when boith players were being played through the headphone out.

Some people took offence and here we are.

May 1, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #62 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is it with u people?

I just disagree with your conclusion that the iPod's headout is absolutely crap. I can't describe the sound as "grainy and undefined". That's all
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm not saying there aren't better headphone outs (maybe I'd like the clip's better too). I'm just saying that, in my opinion, it isn't as bad as you make it out to be.

May 1, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #63 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rumz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just disagree with your conclusion that the iPod's headout is absolutely crap. I can't describe the sound as "grainy and undefined". That's all
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm not saying there aren't better headphone outs (maybe I'd like the clip's better too). I'm just saying that, in my opinion, it isn't as bad as you make it out to be.

x2

May 1, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #65 of 88
With the right pair of forgiving headphones (like Px100) the headphone out is just fine. Yes, an LOD and amp provides better sound, but at the cost of inconvience and extra expense.

May 2, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #66 of 88
Maybe I've just got defective ears, but I've found that the headphone out on my iPod Classic to be very clean using a variety of headphones. And, quite the contrary to what some folks have said, pairing it with the Total Airhead amp through the headphone out makes the sound even cleaner, as opposed to amplifying any flaws.

Perhaps it's just this particular pairing, and a higher powered amp with less efficient 'phones would reveal more flaws and graininess.

It's so hard to say what to believe. One thread on similar issues says "You won't notice a huge difference using an LOD." Another thread says "Use an LOD." Another says "The Classic has great SQ." Another says "The whole iPod line, especially the Classic, is crap."

And around and around we go....

May 2, 2008 at 5:51 AM Post #67 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by TickTockMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I've just got defective ears, but I've found that the headphone out on my iPod Classic to be very clean using a variety of headphones. And, quite the contrary to what some folks have said, pairing it with the Total Airhead amp through the headphone out makes the sound even cleaner, as opposed to amplifying any flaws.

Perhaps it's just this particular pairing, and a higher powered amp with less efficient 'phones would reveal more flaws and graininess.

It's so hard to say what to believe. One thread on similar issues says "You won't notice a huge difference using an LOD." Another thread says "Use an LOD." Another says "The Classic has great SQ." Another says "The whole iPod line, especially the Classic, is crap."

And around and around we go....

Ultimately it's whatever your ears tell you, man. There's no prize for having the best ears or having the best DAP... just different people with different preferences and different gear.

Nice to see a fellow Utahn on the board
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #68 of 88
Quote:

Ultimately it's whatever your ears tell you, man. There's no prize for having the best ears or having the best DAP... just different people with different preferences and different gear.

Absolutely. I think that sometimes we (and I include myself in this) get so hung up on the gear and its often times hugely subjective merits and/or faults that we lose sight of what it's really all about. It's like some form of Acquisition Syndrome that actually depreciates the value and enjoyment of what we already have.

Such as this Utah weather...

May 2, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #69 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you really want a reply, you can begin by providing me the level of respect you expect yourself, and you will listen to what I say and not reconstruct my comments into straw man arguments. Would you please rephrase your question with these two points in mind?

Thanks
Steve

you told me that there is no difference from the superior output of my xonar d2 soundcard to the headphone output of my iphone. you are then telling people there is a noticeable difference between the headphone output and the line out (in which those differences are FAR smaller). you are contradicting yourself. stop telling me what i cant here when you claim to hear a difference that is many times smaller
rolleyes.gif
there either is an audible difference in both cases, or there isnt. which is it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm with bigshot on amping the headphone output. The benefit from an amp (usually expensive) is going to be rather nil compared to when using it at home from the line-out of the doc. Folks may not care to carry around the extra bulk but save for getting insane volume, I don't agree the difference is significant enough to warrant the expense or the bulk. Some obviously think differently. One of the main advantages of a portable amp is to eliminate the hiss when using very efficient IEM's. This requires the line-out. Otherwise, for pure volume, the iPod has more than enough juice to make anyone deaf. Larger cans are a different story of course, and I suppose the harder to drive they are the more one would want to use an amp, I simply use portable phones for these times and thus don't need the amp.

i never said there wasnt a difference and i am one for using the lineout. i dont think you read what bigshot was saying previously in the thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
I've done comparisons between the iPod playing lossless and the original CD. No difference there either. The sound quality of the iPod is not an issue.

See ya
Steve

he can not hear the difference between the ipod's lineout and an original cd on another player, yet he can tell the difference between the lineout and the headphone output when driving an amp?
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
Your sound card might perform better if you play test tones and push the volume up to extremely high levels. But that's just a theoretical improvement that has no impact on normal listening to music.

so the same should be said of the headphone output vs the line out then? why isnt he saying this? thats why im calling his bluff.

as far as noise level goes, there's so little in it that id be surprised if anybody could tell the difference. i couldnt and i needed a measurement just to tell me there was a difference

May 2, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #70 of 88
dazzer1975;4159093The clip benefits from amping the head out as the headphone out on theclip is particularly clean and is suited to it when wanting to drive fuill size cans. There are several posts opn this site detailing the same and I have found it to be true.[/QUOTE said:
Sorry. I must not have stated my question clearly. Here it is again... Why would anyone want to amp the headphone out of the iPod when they could just pop a pocket dock on and have true line out to amp? I don't see any situation where there would be any advantage to amping the headphone out.

For carrying around in your pocket, there is a definite advantage to not having to carry around an amp and big headphones. That is a situation where it makes sense to use the headphone out, and the output is perfectly suited to small portable cans.

For listening with big cans, where size is no concern, a dock and amp works best. And line out is perfect for that.

It seems to me that the headphone out is exactly what it needs to be and the line out is exactly what it needs to be.

Is that clearer?

See ya
Steve

May 2, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #71 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by andare /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do any of you guys know how the Classic drives 32 ohm headphones like my Senn HD485?

I'm using my iPod classic at the office with SHP895 (also 32 ohms) sounds great, better sound than onboard soundcard+shp895, also better sound than iPod+ksc75.

im really tempted to wear the shp895 on the street, cause its the best sound out of my 3 headphones( ksc75, ep630, shp895) but afraid i might get mugged
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #72 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry. I must not have stated my question clearly. Here it is again... Why would anyone want to amp the headphone out of the iPod when they could just pop a pocket dock on and have true line out to amp? I don't see any situation where there would be any advantage to amping the headphone out.

I think he's explained it already. He didn't amp the headphone out because someone would in real practice, but rather simply to get a better picture of the iPod's headphone out qualities vs. the clips (and perhaps to note that the clip's head out amps well).

May 2, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #73 of 88
Quote:

I don't think people's opinions have anything at all to do with preferences or sound. I think some folks are just naturally contrary.

My experience with the headphone out of the iPod is that using my Sennheiser HD-590s, there is a very slight improvement in sound quality when I amp the line out, compared to the unamped headphone out. It isn't worth carrying an amp around with me on the go, but it is worth amping when I am at home using my Senns.

Using my PX-100s, there is no real difference at all between amped line out and the headphone out. So, I guess it all depends on the headphones you are using.

See ya
Steve

May 2, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #75 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by james.miller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you told me that there is no difference from the superior output of my xonar d2 soundcard to the headphone output of my iphone.

I didn't do that at all. I've never discussed the iPhone. I've been talking about the iPod. I can't read the rest of your post because you keep changing tense. I don't know who you are referring to or who you are addressing half the time.

Why can't we all just speak clearly?

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back