iPod Classic's SQ: really that bad?
Apr 27, 2008 at 9:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 88

andare

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm a new user but have been lurking for a while, mainly because i'm not an audiophile and don't own a lot of equipment, just visiting to get good info on intended purchases.

I know it's an old question but is the iPod Classic's SQ really that bad?

I would love to get one because I love iTunes (don't shoot me!) and I've organized all my music in it so it would be terrific to have the exact same user experience on my portable BUT just about everyone says its sound quality sucks so I still haven't made Mr. Jobs 230 € richer.

I went to the Apple store here in Krakow and asked to listen to the Classic with my Sennheiser PX100s. Luckily it had some songs I knew like "Superstition" by Stevie Wonder so I listened for a while and although the store was rather noisy I think I got a pretty good impression of the overall sound: muddy, undefined bass, no mids, unexciting highs and no appreciable soundstage, in one word kind of claustrophobic!
I then proceeded to check the same songs on my HP laptop and my mp3 player (Sony NWD B103F) through the same headphones: NO DIFFERENCE with the iPod.
So here's the only conclusion I reached: the PX100s suck big time (I hadn't used them in a while so i forgot what they sounded like and in the meantime i bought a pair of Senns HD485 which rule)

I guess I have to go back to the store with another pair of headpphones, maybe the earbuds that came with the Sony which sound ok and are rather practical.

Sound quality in a portable isn't really at the top of my list but still it bothers me to shell out money for my main player and then find out it sucks.
Incredibly enough I don't know a single person who has an iPod so I can't check.

I have no intention of using an LOD and/or a headphone amp but would definitely buy a pair of headphones for the iPod (I'm NOT walking out the door with full sized cans, I look ridiculous enough as it is).

So my question really is can I buy this damn thing in good conscience without feeling Steveroll'd by Mr. Jobs?

Thank and soory for the wordy post.

Apr 27, 2008 at 10:05 AM Post #2 of 88
It's true that the iPod Classic doesn't have a remarkable SQ but I think the UI is just worth it! I suppose you could get a Zune 80 but in my opinion the UI isn't as good.
Anyway I think what you have to ask yourself is are you willing to compromise on SQ for UI. I compromised about it (I own an iPod Classic) and I'm happy
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 27, 2008 at 10:42 AM Post #4 of 88
That's exactly my point. I would really hate to have to deal with another software and my library has long been tagged so I'm not used to folders anymore which kinda rules out drag and drop. So yes I am willing to compromised a little on SQ for ease of use. After all I mostly listen to mp3s in noisy environments like streetcars and offices and I won't bother too much with sound isolating earbuds.

Do any of you guys know how the Classic drives 32 ohm headphones like my Senn HD485? I would from time to time use the ipod at home for late night listening so i wouldn't have to turn on my laptop.

Mmh really it is a tough decision though...

Apr 27, 2008 at 11:24 AM Post #7 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
classic does not do anything any worse than any other player. the only thing ipod have that is sub-par is the eq. if you are worried about stage, it is probably the senns px100 which do not have a remarkable stage.

that happens to be quite a big negative lol.

Apr 27, 2008 at 11:59 AM Post #8 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
classic does not do anything any worse than any other player. the only thing ipod have that is sub-par is the eq. if you are worried about stage, it is probably the senns px100 which do not have a remarkable stage.

I don't use EQ so that won't be a problem, my Senns 485 have great soundstage and EQing them is definitelt overkill as they have rather extreme bass and piercing high's.

So thank you all, it looks like I'm going for it as soon as the paycheck comes in later this month.

As a side note I have to say this is really a balanced forum, not many fanboys here. This is very refreshing and has kept me coming back to the posts even though I strongly dislike online communities.
Well done to all of you!

Apr 27, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #10 of 88
I don't think it "sucks", but I have found the iPod Classic has inferior sound quality when compared against players like the Gigabeat T400, Sansa Clip, and Zune 80, specifically in some the areas you pointed out, especially soundstaging and bass. As mentioned, the EQ is also worthless, but I don't use do any adjusting on my other players either.

Apr 27, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #11 of 88
The iPod Classic is no better and no worse when it comes to sound quality from the line out than any other iPod. I have seven iPods, ranging from 3G to Classic, and they all sound the same from the line out. I've done comparisons between the iPod playing lossless and the original CD. No difference there either. The sound quality of the iPod is not an issue.

See ya
Steve

Apr 27, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #12 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The iPod Classic is no better and no worse when it comes to sound quality from the line out than any other iPod. I have seven iPods, ranging from 3G to Classic, and they all sound the same from the line out. I've done comparisons between the iPod playing lossless and the original CD. No difference there either. The sound quality of the iPod is not an issue.

See ya
Steve

hmmm i dont know whether thats a limitation of the equipment you are using or not. the line out on the classics and touch is good, but its not that good. certainly not as good as the line on on my sound card.

Apr 27, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #13 of 88
actually op: there are many fanboys here. trust me. don't ever say negative about _____ player or _______ player. if it is ipod, you are free to bash however.

technically, it does nothing worse than any other player. some people don't like its 'sq' because it is not overly mid-oriented or not boomy enough. it rocks

Apr 28, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #14 of 88
Quote:

Originally Posted by james.miller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmmm i dont know whether thats a limitation of the equipment you are using or not. the line out on the classics and touch is good, but its not that good. certainly not as good as the line on on my sound card.

Are you balancing the line levels? There are variations in the output levels of various components and that can affect the perceived quality. But if you balance the levels to be precisely the same, that difference disappears.

See ya
Steve

Apr 28, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #15 of 88
iPod does nothing wrong. I've compared iPod Classic 160 to Cowon D2, which has a very good rep abroad. I found no benefits of any, just different sound sig. Moreover, I was surprised that Classic has at least the same output power, while D2 is claimed to be most powerfull DAP.

PX100 are lifeless, HD485 are much more livelier. If you want to have fun and portable headphone go iGrado or PortaPro. The latter is much better modded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back